Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:47:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Our Game of Hastings 1066 (from Down Under)  (Read 1848 times)

Offline werekake

• Librarian
Our Game of Hastings 1066 (from Down Under)
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
A group of us pooled our Normans and Saxons (with a smattering of Saxons that were wearing 'looted' viking armour) from our relative SAGA forces and old WAB armies etc. Two of us had journeyed to Battle earlier this year to tour the battle site - and get an understanding of what it was like for the Normans hiking up that hill.

There was an excellent audio tour and signage as we toured the battlefield, giving a chronology of the day's events. English Heritage do a really good job, I reckon.

Inspired by this, we decided to replay the battle on the 950th anniversary - using the Hail Caesar rules, as they were the most accessible for the various players. Six players all up, three on each side. For the Normans we had Lord Karsten of the Bretons; Lord Kelsall of the Franks; and William the Bastard of the Normans.

On the Saxon side we had Harold, King of the Anglo-Saxons; Earl Lon the Loveless; and Earl Dave the Hesitant.

The Normans lined up their battle lines via three divisions. The Saxons arrayed themselves on the hill, the thegns placing themselves at the front, with units strategically placed to plug any holes.

Norman archers and crossbows fired away at the saxons but - despite causing a few casualties - were largely ineffective.

One of the random cards drawn by the Norman general created havoc amongst the Breton and Frankish divisions which, along with some calamitous blunder rolls by commanders, temporarily halted the Norman advance.

Frustrated by the delays, William leads the charge into the saxon lines - charging up the hill. He hoped the shock and awe of his mighty charge would create a huge hole in the saxon line. It worked for a little bit, but the reinforcing units from behind quickly wiped out the tired Norman knights.

The Bretons finally arrive on the left, and attempt to force the Saxon flank off the hill. They soon find themselves bogged down in fighting, however, and it seems the Normans will not be taking this hill.

The game is entering its last few turns, it appears that William has lost the day, and the Saxon generals decide to come down off the hill to mop up the Norman remnants - units of bow and crossbow and some Norman infantry.

Suddenly - disaster! In what appears to be some of the worst dice-rolling seen to man, Harold manages to wipe out a large number of his thegns against some Breton retainers. He JUST reaches his break mark, and that's one third of the Saxon army broken and retreating. Lon the Loveless and Hesitant Dave are suddenly faced with an open flank - through which come pouring Breton Knights! In the centre, Lon realises his division is perilously close to breaking as well. Hesitant Dave realises that the loss of Harold couldn't have come at a worse time, as he had just commited his own reserve troops to a charge on some units of Norman crossbows. Their reaction could best be summed up in the picture below:

As the Breton knights come crashing into Lon's flanks and rear, he realises it's time for him to scarper - and the field is won by the Normans! As an observer, I was left rather stunned. I was already packing up my loaned troops, as I thought the battle was a foregone conclusion - the saxons weren't going to be moved off that hill. Suddenly, right at the end of the day, some really bad luck from Harold (to get an arrow in his eye) and some really bad timing from his two commanders means that Hastings 1066 was won by the Normans. I wonder if this is how things played out 950 years ago? Just a bit of bad luck with an arrow, and a set of unlucky circumstances/poor-timing, and the history of England was changed!

Lord Karsten surveys his Bretonnian victory! The game ref, Mark watches on.

An awesome day, the armies looked fantastic and the game was a cracker.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Our Game of Hastings 1066 (from Down Under)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »
Bravo!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 05:07:04 PM »
Looks like it was a terrific battle, with a good time had by all.  :)
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 05:12:01 PM »
Good stuff! I love the bases.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:37:54 PM »
Very nice!

...and the Bretons won the battle! ::) :D

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »
a set of unlucky circumstances/poor-timing, and the history of England was changed!

Like you would not believe! lol

We were robbed that day :'(

Great setup though :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:55:54 PM by Sixmilletoe »

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:38:48 PM »
Great stuff!
Although the chaps leading the Anglo-Saxons - why, why would you leave the hill, surely you knew what would happen!  lol

I've been to the re-enactment a at Battle a few times, it's a lovely day out. As too the Abbey and surrounds itself even when there isn't a battle going on.

A few years ago I was there and a huge great rain cloud was gradually creeping in as the re-enactment went on. With uncanny timing as it reached the point where Harold was laid low (yet again) and the commentator uttered the words "and the sky turns dark over England" it quite literally did turn black and a tremendous downpour arrived. Whilst the timing was probably not lost on anyone, it did spark a mass exodus for the car park... Just for once though I'd like to see Harold win.  :D

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:45:18 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Like you would not believe! lol

We were robbed that day :'(

Robbed all right! The saxons looked at each other at the end of the game, going - how did we lose that?!

Although the chaps leading the Anglo-Saxons - why, why would you leave the hill, surely you knew what would happen!  lol

I wonder if the saxon players, again, followed historical patterns - i.e they got bored. Just from listening to the Saxon players, I kind of imagine the historical discussion might have been something like this:

- "Hey, Ned - I'm just going down the hill with the others... see if there's any action to be had."

- "But Harold told us to stay up here at all costs!"

- "Come off it. I didn't walk all week just to stand up here all day! Look, the french knights have been seen off. We'll just nip down, have a bit of a poke at those Norman crossbows, and be back up here before anyone notices."

- "Hold on, I'm coming with you."

lol

---

I'd love to go to a 1066 re-enactment. The audio tour was really well done, but I can imagine the re-enactment would be amazing! I think there's a whole bunch of Battle Abbey/Battlefield activities on at the moment.