Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:47:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Of Base sizes and mechanics.  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Korgoth

• Lurker
Of Base sizes and mechanics.
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:48:33 AM »
Hi everyone I'm new to the boards and new to the game, recently I picked up the rulebook and have been reading through it. Most of my ideas are currently imagination but I'm trying to set up a system of some sort.

My first concern is base sizes, the few threads I have been able to dig up seem to indicate whatever works for my group and consistency.

That being said I might participate in some out of group events so I am leaning on making all warband figures 25 mm rounds by GW or that standard size.

When it comes to my NPCs however I was hoping to expand a bit.

Certain monsters and beasts just seem like they should be at least on 40 mm wide rounds. But I am not certain if it would mesh with the spells/ranges and combat system.

The other big stretch I am really hoping to try, and is basically what I am most looking for input on is bigger still.

I have ideas to run some campaigns for my friends by providing essentially everything in terms of game aids and figures. My hope is after the first few they may opt to make their own warbands but I would be more then thrilled if they simply want to do more campaigns with what I have on hand.

In order to draw them in and have momentous events I was hoping to enhance the gaming experience with some grand models.

I intend to run a Hunt for the Golem campaign and should it succeed move on to the Thaw of the Lich Lord.

For both campaigns I have large figures in mind for the end "boss" monsters. I have a Golem and Lich Lord that would each require a 100 mm round base.

Do you think it is ok to use models this large for the purpose of NPC's. The golem is a Large construct but I do not think a 100 mm large construct would be acceptable for an Enchanter to summon nor would the 100 mm Lichlord be possible as a playable Lich who leads a warband.

Thoughts before I embark on my adventure? Would 100 mm base size models work for "boss" monsters? Thanks for the input!

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: Of Base sizes and mechanics.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:11:23 AM »
I think that a 100mm base would be fine.  It would have no effect on the monster's movement or weapon/spell ranges since everything is measured base to base.  If anything, it would be a disadvantage due to potential terrain restriction, and an increased circumference allowing more opponents to swarm the model.

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:59:56 AM »
I agree. I don't think it really matters and I think it fits a boss to be huge. Yes, you can swarm him to get more plusses to the Fight stat, but that too is fitting IMO. When Sauron shows up, you don't want to tackle him alone!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 07:46:14 AM »
My only advice here is not to over-think things - Frostgrave is at it's most fun when you grab whatever figures you've got and just run with it :)

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »
My only advice here is not to over-think things - Frostgrave is at it's most fun when you grab whatever figures you've got and just run with it :)
This - so much this.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
I'd stick with a size of base that you are happy with, and that follows some form of rational hierarchy, and if you're playing with a gaming circle try and get some agreement.

I base all my human siz3ed figures on round Gw 25mm wide bases, and so on because I kn ow that those standard sizes are most likely to be accepted for any group I play with and for most games systems. I also play Mordheim and no one has complained as base size even in that game is relatively unimportant.

I haven't played with very large (ogre+) size creatures so that'd be more of what looks right IMHO.

As for the Licjhe Lord on 100mm wide base no, its a human skeleton, base it on 25 or maybe 30mm wide round base.
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:22:27 PM »
I've been using 25mm for all the regular characters and 50mm (I'm using Renedra paved bases and they don't have 40mm yet) for anything with the "large" keyword. But yeah, use whatever looks good to you, and have fun!

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
As for the Licjhe Lord on 100mm wide base no, its a human skeleton, base it on 25 or maybe 30mm wide round base.

Depends on how you and your mates see the Lich Lord. If you want a Nagash-like model, standing 6" tall then that should be awesome in looks. But you could also use a 25mm Ral Partha Lich. Choose what you like, as long as you're having fun and it fits your vision of the character used, like jp says :)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
Aesthetics are certainly important for a nice game experience, so if you've got a terrific large miniature, go for it. Do keep playability in mind - a 100mm base will struggle in a game which requires a table filled with scenery, so adapt set-up or house rules accordingly. For such practical considerations and to have the models somewhat in line with their rules (a Major Demon could be large, but they're not powerful enough to warrant anything larger than what would fit a 60mm base at most), I don't think I'd go quite as far as that myself - but if you got it, and it looks great, and it can be made to work: why not?
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Korgoth

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 09:13:20 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated.

Maybe it would help put it in perspective if I indicated which miniatures.

For the the golem my intent was to use Puppetswar stone golem and for the massive lich lord it would indeed be GWs Nagash model.

I really like the new Nagash but I have no time to do an entire undead army so I thought this would be a great way to put it on the table in a campaign where it culminates with taking him down. I dont know the exact story for Thaw of the LL but I presumed he would be unveiled in the last chapter.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:21:35 AM »
I have gone to ovals wherever possible for figures needing a larger than the usual 25mm base. Works well in tight quarters, above or below ground.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 06:29:36 AM »
Don't forget you're in no way confined to standard bases either. It's super easy to make a base that's any size or shape you want with a little card and putty. I'm a huge fan of found object bases myself.

If there's no rules that explicitly require given sizes and shapes, then you're free to do pretty much whatever you want as long as it's roughly proportional to the figure. That goes  for any system, IMO.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Gabbi

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
While I usually prefer bases that comfortably host the models (I hate the look of certain Confrontation or old Heartbreaker's WarZone minis, with feet that barely fit the base), when I assemble models for terrain-heavy skirmish games I like my bases a bit tighter, mainly for practical purpose: fitting the model in corners and recesses, or on narrow walkways. Speaking of sizes, human sized models are usually on 20mm square or 25mm round bases.
Also, I don't like very much the look of "lipped" bases, as they're a bit more "visible" than I'd like. Also, I tend to associate them to rules-first games such as Warmachine or Malifaux  (nothing wrong, deeply love both) where the base IS the model, so they look somewhat out of place in strongly theme-driven games, to me.