Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:21:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689662
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest project: Reaper Hill Giant (Cloud Giantess added 11/6/16)  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Another one of Reaper's big Bones models, this time a Hill Giant.

I've done this one both in metal (although my photos of that one died in a hard drive crash) and Bones, and it's definitely a sculpt that translates well to plastic.

Not only is the detail comparable, it's much more manageable to handle and transport.

Doesn't hurt that he's enormously cheaper in Bones, which was kind of the point to the stuff in the first place.

Great sculpt IMO, really like the apelike posture and heavy body hair, makes him look like the primitive savage the books usually make hill giants out to be.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:13:45 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Latest project: Reaper Hill Giant
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »
Very nice!

What is the size of the base? I found that it looks better with afther market bases because the integral bases on large Bones models are often badly warped
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:30:50 PM »
Very nice!

What is the size of the base? I found that it looks better with afther market bases because the integral bases on large Bones models are often badly warped

It's a Reaper 60mm base, which are available at insanely low prices if you're willing to buy in bulk (250+) from them.  Very useful for larger models, although IIRC this one didn't have an integral base at all.  He's pretty stable with those big feet and the knuckles of the left hand making a third contact point.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Mine is still in its plastic bag from the KS! lol

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
He's a big lad! Great job on the skin tones.
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
Very nice. I also have this guy in bones. agree on all points

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »
Thanks, all.  I was pretty happy with the way he came out.  Fun job of painting, it's nice to work on larger figs like this now and then.  Also has me thinking about a conversion job on him if I do another.  That pose looks very suitable for a shoulder-mounted fighting platform ala the old Grenadier war giant.

Thanks for the reply. Mine is still in its plastic bag from the KS! lol

You really ought to fix that.  :)  Paints up surprisingly fast. 

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Latest project: Reaper Hill Giant & Cloud Giant
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
One of the things I like about Reaper's giant minis is the sheer variety of styles they've made.  Latest project is this Cloud Giant lass:

Same 60mm basing as the Hill Giant above, very different aesthetic.  Still stands over 3" tall but much less bulky and brutish.

This one's only been made in Bones, something that's likely to happen more and more often with time.

You could probably use her comfortably as a normal human in a larger scale, or one under a growth spell in 28mm.

I'd comment on how much skin she's showing, but of course she's dressed for a blind date with mister hill giant.  Probably not enjoying the outing much.

Going barefoot seemed fine back at the cloud castle, but it's pretty uncomfortable when going clubbing down on terra firma.

Not a lot of rocks in your average cloud, after all.  :)

Offline gbulens

• Assistant
Re: Latest project: Reaper Hill Giant (Cloud Giantess added 11/6/16)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »
Very nice! Like the skin tone on the cloud giant! How did you achieve that if I may ask?

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Latest project: Reaper Hill Giant (Cloud Giantess added 11/6/16)
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 11:24:23 PM »
Very nice! Like the skin tone on the cloud giant! How did you achieve that if I may ask?

Very carefully?

Seriously, it took longer to get that pale clear skin tone than the rest of the figure did.  IIRC I started with a base of Privateer Khardic Flesh (which is very ruddy), shaded up twice with mixes of Midlund Flesh (which is pretty pale) and white, did a very, very light wash with GW Reikland Flesh shade, then a final set of highlights with an even lighter flesh/white mix.  Pain in the butt compared to my usual darker tones and heavier washes, but I like the effect that finally resulted.  Looks better in person than in my iffy photography, but that can be said for virtually everything I paint.  :)