Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:57:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690598
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Downtown Terrain?  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Necros

• Scientist
    • Blackwater Gulch
Downtown Terrain?
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »
Anyone know of any good sources for early 1900's terrain? Something like laser cut wood stackable "rowhome" buildings would be great. I know there's some model railroad stuff out there that would probably be good but I'm looking for something more "wargamery". I'm trying to build a skirmish cityfight board for like around 1930 or so, but I want the buildings to be more modular so I can arrange them in different ways for each game rather than a fixed board. Oh and I'm looking for 28mm scale stuff :)

And while I'm at it how about other stuff, like cars and other things you'd see around town?

Anyone know of any good terrain sources out there for this era?
Blackwater Gulch - Gangfights in the Old West

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
Re: Downtown Terrain?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »
Here's a link to my thread on the Chicago Way, hopefully can find something useful through the links to the actual blog  :)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=89581.0

Ivor

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
Lots of options if you're into paper models, like the Mean Streets and Mean Sets lines and WorldWorksGames' models.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 10:15:15 PM »
Maybe you could use some stuff from TTCombat?

http://ttcombat.com/collections/city-scenics/buildings
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »
The Sarissa CityBlock stuff is quite nice, a bit plainer than some of the more recent lasercut MDF pieces but good and solid.

Here's the CityBlock stuff I built a few years ago for pulp gaming: http://www.warbard.ca/2013/08/04/sarissa-cityblock-buildings-finished/

Offline Necros

• Scientist
    • Blackwater Gulch
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »
Cool thanks. I love the knights of dice stuff. But, do they have interiors? It kinda looks like the sides are just 1 huge piece rather than floors you can lift off .. but it looks great. I think I'm gonna do a mix of those and some of the 4-ground gothic city buildings too

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:14:21 PM »
Just to give you an option you may not of considered.
You could (if you have access to a printer)go for down loadable buildings which you then apply to foam board ,cardboard,or mdf .
These tend to vairy  in quality in the same way mdf kits do so you need to take a look around.
A good place to get an idea if this is an option for you take a look at Stoelzels Structures these cost less than your average blister pack.
Mark.

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
Do be a bit careful with 4Grounds Gothic City line - it does say all the buildings are in 28mm, but it was made for the Batman Miniatures Game that is 32m. I bought the subway kits for my board and they looked so much bigger than my other 28mm 4Ground buildings that I didn't use them. Disappointing too, they are really neat kits. As are all of the other Gothic City line buildings, but because of the subway difference I didn't take a chance on any of the other ones.
Maybe someone out there has some of the Gothic City line buildings and the Chicago Way buildings and they could put a comparison photo up? Or maybe it's just me  lol

Offline Necros

• Scientist
    • Blackwater Gulch
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
hmm.. thanks for the warning. I think I will be ok though. My minis are going to be more like 30mm than 28, so hopefully they will be a good fit. I need to order enough to get the free shipping so I was going to get 2 or 3 of the tennement kits, and then mix them in with a couple from Knights of Dice, and there's a nice looking 3x3 street matt from urbanmatz.com that I was gonna get too. I have their dirty roads matt and it's pretty nice, but I think the cobblestone streets will be a little too old timey looking for what I want to do.. or was that still pretty common in the 20's and 30's? I was picturing more modern looking asphat.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:57:05 AM »
Mixed feelings about this thread, happy to see the great information (I had not seen Knights of Dice before), but now, sadly, I see myself $400.00 poorer real soon... :D

On top of that I also just dropped a bunch o cash at TTCombat!

"Oh well the pension fund was just sitting there..."
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:07 AM »
I know exactly what you mean Menelduir  :D It takes way more wallet restraint then I can usually manage looking around the LAF!

I was in the exact same boat as you Necros; I wasn't sure what my streets should look like. I initially began with a brick/cobblestone street, but after referencing some movies I quickly decided that black asphalt was the way to go. Again though, just one opinion  :) Hopefully you'll get some more advice.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 02:21:16 AM »
Hopefully you'll get some more advice.

Good point, should mention two things. I too use black asphalt, soon to be dirtied up a bit with grey and brown.
My pavement is really two large plastic sheets 24" by 42". There is a slight rough texture on one side that I figure will dry brush well. I am hosting a game this weekend, and will post pictures then. (kinda have to prep it all first  ::))

My other idea is to look at something called "standard dry sheathing" for roofing and other jobs. I have seen some examples that seem sturdy enough and have some nice texture, it might work. It is 3' by 143' and costs under $23. If it works one roll will set me up for life! That will take a trip to home depot to scope out, maybe this Wednesday.

My third idea (yeah I know I said two) is to mix and match, maybe dirt or cobblestone for back alleys, lesser roads and black asphalt for the main routes. Adventurous people could have exposed cobble stone(textured brick card) showing through even on main roads. I guess it depends in part on what type of urban environment you are trying to emulate.

I am getting ready for a Vice Alley campaign so will be posting stuff as I go along, good luck with your project.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
Cool thanks. I love the knights of dice stuff. But, do they have interiors? It kinda looks like the sides are just 1 huge piece rather than floors you can lift off .. but it looks great. I think I'm gonna do a mix of those and some of the 4-ground gothic city buildings too

I only have experience of the theatre and the Chinese restaurant. The theatre was a single level with a lift off roof, but the restaurant split in two and had both levels playable.

Hope that helps?......slightly!

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 08:00:41 AM »
I think the first wave of Knights of Dice Sentry City has no removable roofs, so no interior gaming. But they learned and the Chinatown stuff has removable roofs and floors. Those are really great kits!