Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:00:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More from the Doones of Exmoor  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: More from the Doones of Exmoor
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
Very nice, up to your usual excelelnt standard and it good to see a trusty PMC building in the background.  :)That guy seems to have to monoply on Tudor/Elizabethan buildings... ;)

lol Thanks Nick. Yes, PMC and Conflix have pretty much carved up the mock Tudor market between them  ;)

the eyes of the horse are a bit too humanlike for my taste. Horses have big brown eyes with only a small white rim. Maybe you can make the iris a bit bigger.

You're not the first to object to my horses' eyes. I've tried several different ways, and all I can say is that this is about the best. If you actually paint the eye like a real horse - all dark brown / black, with just a highlight (because horses' eyes are very 'liquid' looking, so you have to highlight) - they come out looking like Demon horses...  :?
Not sure what the answer is, but happy to see other people's methods.  :)

That said, I'm not sure I agree that this...

...is a 'human-looking' eye.

Interesting aspect.

This is probably a question of scale and expectation. What I mean is that we expect an eye to look a certain way but scale in miniatures (which I commonly interpreted as a person seen from xx feet away) prevents it. You (Captain Blood), like me, do human eyes like dark brown slits because becuase you will see no white or eye nor iris/pupil in a person 20 yards away. Apparently you perceive horse eyes differently. I've got nothing to say about that except that it look good.