Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Beware. The Doones ride.  (Read 7509 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Beware. The Doones ride.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »

you did that flippin eyelid thing again , how do you do that, and the creases in the faces

dodge

C'mon Dodge... You can do it. I know you can do it. Painting eyelids and not mad staring eyeballs is the easier - and IMHO - the more effective option.

[/quote]

Absolutely you have me convinced tried it last night with some good ish results, will do a wip shot later on this week for your help , the eyelid thing for me was a bit mixed bit more prstice though and I'll be there,

By the way you almost had me buying some of those figs there but I looked at my tally and said no.#

Your horses are great, they totally work for me, after all aren't we trying to give a representation of what horses look like , thats what I aim for anyway.  ::)

dodge

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »
Superb painting and scenery. I like the bases as well.
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
You really have your own painting style. I like those minis a lot. Especially the horses. The only thing I could nag about is the leather on the boots, briddle and sword sheeth. It looks like you used the same color. But this is just nagging on high standard so pls dont be mad on me Captain. Those miniatures are great and look like being alive.
Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 10:17:57 AM »
Here's an interesting couple of facts for you to ponder. :)
 RD Blackmore, author of Lorna Doone lived in the vicinty of my house here in olde Teddington.
 I live in Blackmores Grove, nameed after him... Doone Close is just around the corner and Gomer Gardens is named after RD Blackmores dog...Gomer.  :)

There, now your day is enriched and complete :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »
Here's an interesting couple of facts for you to ponder. :)
 RD Blackmore, author of Lorna Doone lived in the vicinty of my house here in olde Teddington.
 I live in Blackmores Grove, nameed after him... Doone Close is just around the corner and Gomer Gardens is named after RD Blackmores dog...Gomer.  :)

There, now your day is enriched and complete :D

Gosh, now that's actually very interesting... Funny how these things occur, isn't it?

Not too long ago, I was in a production of R C Sheriff's famous play set in the trenches, Journey's End. Then over New Year, I was down in Devon, and went to an isolated pub called the Journey's End - which is actually about 700 years old, but was renamed the Journey's End in the 1920's, because that where R C Sheriff was staying when he wrote Journey's End! Funny old world...

The only thing I could nag about is the leather on the boots, briddle and sword sheeth. It looks like you used the same color.

Björn - I think I did!  ;)
I really only use two leather colours (red/brown/orange, and yellowy/tan) and I use them indiscriminately for absolutely everything! You have seen through my cunning painting stratagem.  lol

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:27 AM »
I meant to comment on these the other day, sorry I'm late.

These are great as usual Captain! Really good job. And I only use a couple of colours for leather myself - its just easier.

Just out of interest, have you seen this version of Lorna Doone:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100056/

Clive Owen as John Ridd and Sean Bean as Carver Doone. A pretty good movie.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
Oooh. No. Don't think I have... Will have to get it. Thanks Rob.

On the subject of films (he said, going hopelessly off his own topic) I've watched 'Mongol' and 'Assembly' on DVD in the past 48 hours. Both absolutely cracking films. Highly recommended.

Richard

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »

Not too long ago, I was in a production of R C Sheriff's famous play set in the trenches, Journey's End. Then over New Year, I was down in Devon, and went to an isolated pub called the Journey's End - which is actually about 700 years old, but was renamed the Journey's End in the 1920's, because that where R C Sheriff was staying when he wrote Journey's End! Funny old world...

That wouldnt be the Journeys End in Ringmore would it by any chance?

If it is, its a lovely walk form Bigbury on Sea taking you up along the cliffes following along the coastal path, then a sharp right and through some fields down into Ringmore village and the pub. :)

Its a very, very nice area, one of my favourite holiday destinations, infact I will be there again this year in july for a week in the rain... :?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:51:22 AM by Malamute »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
I like Journey's End. Being a wargamer I couldn't help but start planning turning the trench raid into a tabletop game in my head as I read it.

R.C. Sheriff also wrote the screenplay to the Dam Busters, by the way. I didn't know that until today, when I looked him up.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »

De nada.

The sequence of the Doones laying siege to the farmhouse is really well done. And Bean is basically a really nasty Sharpe, which is worth a watch in itself.

Mind you, he's also been a Greek Sharpe, a Gondorian Sharpe, a 00-Sharpe and an emotionless future cop Sharpe, so there's not much of a surprise there, is there?  lol

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »
Captain ! :)

Since I was in England last oct. it seems like I sharpened my senses.
Curry ?

Cheers
Björn

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
Captain, these are amazingly well done. Your colors just glow as usual.

I have also enjoyed the cultural lesson on English riders and writers and wish to thank the contributors for their erudition.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »

On the subject of films (he said, going hopelessly off his own topic) I've watched 'Mongol' and 'Assembly' on DVD in the past 48 hours. Both absolutely cracking films. Highly recommended.

Richard

Did you know that I have looked for that dvd on play, amazon market place and it retails for £62 odd. That's a lot ? am I being a berk ?

dodge

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
That is a heck of a lot.  :o

Makes me glad of my knackered old VHS copy, really. Wonder where I put it?

Edit: just had a scout about for it too, you're right, Amazon, Play, CDwow, HMV, even eBay, not a thing. One or two VHS copies for about a tenner, but on DVD its definitely £62 plus. Crikey, its not that good!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:04:12 PM by JollyBob »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »

That wouldnt be the Journeys End in Ringmore would it by any chance?

If it is, its a lovely walk form Bigbury on Sea taking you up along the cliffes following along the coastal path, then a sharp right and through some fields down into Ringmore village and the pub. :)

Ah yes, the very place, and I did that very same walk... Took in a couple of very big dips and hills on the way back to Bigbury!  ;)

Bean is basically a really nasty Sharpe, which is worth a watch in itself. Mind you, he's also been a Greek Sharpe, a Gondorian Sharpe, a 00-Sharpe and an emotionless future cop Sharpe, so there's not much of a surprise there, is there?  lol

Ah yes, Sean Bean is particularly brilliant at playing.. Sean Bean. He can be anything you like, providing it's a bit rough around the edges and comes from Sheffield  ;)

I have also enjoyed the cultural lesson on English riders and writers and wish to thank the contributors for their erudition.

Thank you Pete. We endeavour to keep the standard up here in Blighty, you know...  lol
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:03:47 PM by Captain Blood »