Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:01:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691128
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Red Box Games - relative size  (Read 2439 times)

Offline julesav

• Scientist
Red Box Games - relative size
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:41 PM »
Hi folks

I'm looking at revamping an old project with some Red Box character figures - how well do they match with the likes of Gripping Beast, Crusader, Artizan et al?

Cheers

Julesav
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Red Box Games - relative size
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
I love Red Box, because they are the best sculpted minis available, and I hate them because they are tiny and don't scale.up.with anything.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:15:52 PM »
Hi folks

I'm looking at revamping an old project with some Red Box character figures - how well do they match with the likes of Gripping Beast, Crusader, Artizan et al?

Cheers

Julesav

Here's a comparison shot of a Redbox Njorn (war hammer and green shield to the left of centre) and some Gripping Beast vikings (except the guy in the centre with the yellow shield). Now bearing in mind that this particular Redbox Njorn is a fairly sturdy example and quite largely built you can see that his proportions are a little more slender than the others (especially the clumpier, older GB sculpts) and possibly a little shorter. I have raised him up on a nice high base though, as a character model, so the difference isn't quite as noticeable.

I don't think it's the height, quite so much as the proportions that show up as the difference. Most 28mm miniatures have slightly exaggerated extremities (heads and hands really), whereas the Redbox ones don't. 

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »
Adding to the above, the models are absolutely lovely, but proportions are very much on the other end of the scale. Here a quick line-up with Gripping Beast plastic, RBG, GB metal, RBG, Perry metal, RBG, Perry plastic. Some models will look better than others given how slender or bulky the character is, but the heads especially are tiny in comparison. Two close-ups of the same to show off the differences a bit better.

~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
I too struggle with the RBG scale and have thus avoided purchasing any of them.  I did go and buy most of Tre Manor's sculpts from Reaper though which are superb and far more in scale with other heroic models.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »
I've bought some Red Box women, as their being noticeably smaller or slenderer still works out fine, but the men are incompatible with pretty much any figure range I use.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline madzerker

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:13 AM »
I use Red Box barbarians and norse and they scale up great with rackham, freebooter, privateer press humans, hell dorado, among a ton of other ranges. In the example above one figure is an elf, another a half elf, not the best if comparing with humans but they do have real scale head and hands which I prefer. They don't scale well with bobble head miniatures like old GW and a lot of historical ranges.

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 08:37:10 AM »
I have just recieved a couple of Red Box dwarves and they are much smaller than i expected. They are probably the most realistic and detailed dwarf figures i have seen and i am very pleased with them, but compared to GW, Mantic, Reaper etc they are more hobbit than dwarf size.
Cheers
Robert
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 08:43:43 AM »
They don't really match any of those "chunky" sculpts. They are more like the GW Lord of the Rings range, or possibly Perry plastics. As has been said, slender and small. Very small in fact.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I'd echo what already been said - I have a few of their dwarves and goblins, and they are marvellous sculpts. The dwarves in particular are outstanding - amazing amounts of detail without being finicky, and bags of character.
But yes, they are pretty small. For goblins this doesn't bother me in the slightest: I like a good range of sizes and shapes there.
The dwarves, though - well, they're perhaps a bit larger than the old Ral Partha dwarves that Citadel rebranded as gnomes in the 1st Compendium, but not by very much. They're such great sculpts, though, that I plan to ignore this and field them alongside a mixed bag of variously larger figures (and most of my dwarves are old school sized...).

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 06:45:32 PM »
I think that they scale well next to Perry miniatures. The dwarfs will probably fit in size next to GW Lord of The Rings dwarfs.

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
I use them with Hasslefree, grenadier and Celtos mini in my barbarian army and they fit very well !

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 05:42:18 AM »
1st gen dwarves though are bigger and scale in better.

Grimm