Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690886
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Pirates Questions  (Read 2078 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Pulp Alley Pirates Questions
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
Greetings!

A few questions regarding Pulp Alley in multiplayer pirate games: 

1. Mechanically speaking, why not just use D6s?

2. Do Pulp Alley has rules for cannons and ship movement?

3. What about boarding actions?

4. Anything else I must know in order to get hooked in PA?

Thanks!  :)

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley Pirates Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
I like your idea of using Pulp Alley for pirate games! I've been pondering extensions to ancient Rome or medieval Japan. I'd better leave definitive answers to the authors, i.e. d phipps and Wolf Girl. Regardless, re. dice types, I think that the use of D8s, D10s, and D12s, in addition to D6s, allows for increased chances of successful die rolls, while maintaining similar (but wider) frequency distributions, and consistent game mechanics.

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
4. Anything else I must know in order to get hooked in PA?

My two cents' : If your objective is Hollywood-style pirates, then PA is the way to go.
Fast, rough-and-tumble action with derring-do and plot twists - that's PA in a nutshell.

Questions on ship movement, cannon, boarding actions - all are easily resolved within the framework of the rules.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for something more technical/nuts-and-boltish, then PA most likely wouldn't work.

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
  I'm a big fan of Pulp Alley, but am having trouble imagining using it for ship-to-ship action. It's use of d10s and d8s is to emphasize the focus on one main character and his few henchmen--it's almost more like an RPG than a battle game. That said, it would be great game for scenarios where you rescue the governor's daughter, or negotiate the fist-fights at the Stormy Petrel Inn while you try to find the old salt with the treasure map.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »
The Gadgets Guns and Vehicles book has most everything you need to cook up a fully functioning ship-to-ship sailing and boarding action game.

In Gadgets Guns and Vehicles, Pulp Alley's multiple die types describe the scale of vehicles, the potency of weapons (cannons!  :D) and the capacity of crews.

Both 'Gangs' & 'Gun Teams' from either the Vice Alley or Pulp Leagues books would help complete a Pirate themed adaptation. Pulp Leagues features a brief section on playing in a pirate infested Swashbuckling setting.

If you wanted to go for a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, the occult goodness of Perilous Island offers abundant potential.

Just my 2˘
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »
GENTLEMEN, thank you very much for the info and insights!

PA is right now in my X-Mas shopping list!  ;)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »
Looking forward to following your pirate project progress!  :D

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 09:27:17 PM »
Looking forward to following your pirate project progress!  :D

Mr. Peabody
, I'm planning a multiplayer pirate game for late 2017 - as soon as I recover from surgery and be able to use my right hand again; otherwise the minis will be all just sprayed "Pirate Beige"!  lol

EDIT: Ships and terrain are on(e hand) their way; pictures as soon as they're finished!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:17:14 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »

Mr. Peabody
, I'm planning a multiplayer pirate game for late 2017 - as soon as I recover from surgery and be able to use my left hand again; otherwise the minis will be all just sprayed "Pirate Beige"!  lol

EDIT: Ships and terrain are on(e hand) their way; pictures as soon as they're finished!  ;)

Carpal tunnel syndrome?

I have been thinking of kickstarting painting my rather extensive collection of pirate era minis (if I can find them, that is, I currently have absolutely no idea where they are, as they were purchased before we moved to our house) by using PA. I need to purchase some of the stuff I haven't got, yet, notably the Solo Play Deck which will let me get stuck in with whatever minis I can assemble for Leagues, without paying much heed to anachronisms and faulty geography  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
Carpal tunnel syndrome?

9mm bullet; occupational hazard! ;)

I have been thinking of kickstarting painting my rather extensive collection of pirate era minis (if I can find them, that is, I currently have absolutely no idea where they are, as they were purchased before we moved to our house) by using PA. I need to purchase some of the stuff I haven't got, yet, notably the Solo Play Deck which will let me get stuck in with whatever minis I can assemble for Leagues, without paying much heed to anachronisms and faulty geography  ;)

Seems like a great idea to me, go for it!  :)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 05:41:23 AM »
I have seen a bunch of battle reports from some Pulp Alley players in New Hampshire who are using it for a pirate setting. Mostly raiding coastal towns and such, but I don't know if they've tried ship-to-ship stuff.

We've done ship-to-ship games in our Victorian sci-fi campaign and it included boarding actions so I think it would work nicely for pirates too.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:22:52 AM »
I have seen a bunch of battle reports from some Pulp Alley players in New Hampshire who are using it for a pirate setting. Mostly raiding coastal towns and such, but I don't know if they've tried ship-to-ship stuff.

We've done ship-to-ship games in our Victorian sci-fi campaign and it included boarding actions so I think it would work nicely for pirates too.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Wolf Girl, thank you very much! PA stuff is already in my X-Mas list!  ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »
Mine too - just bought the tomb of the serpent and the leagues as a pdf. Not sure how to wrap it up for Xmas  lol

Pirates sound an excellent idea.

By the way I've heard of people shooting themselves in the foot, I suppose you must be left handed lol or have unreliable acquaintances.

Hope you recover soon with no lasting damage.

Take care

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »
Mine too - just bought the tomb of the serpent and the leagues as a pdf. Not sure how to wrap it up for Xmas  lol

Pirates sound an excellent idea.

By the way I've heard of people shooting themselves in the foot, I suppose you must be left handed lol or have unreliable acquaintances.

Hope you recover soon with no lasting damage.

Take care

Vagabond, than you very much! My lovely surgeon used to work as a beachwear model in order to pay for med school, so I am in very good hands!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:30:32 PM by dinohunterpoa »