Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brits in Home Service uniform..?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Brits in Home Service uniform..?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »

Thanks for that Cory. I was wondering when Riel got together with the Fenians!

If you are far away, like me, you may mix some things up!
Sorry for the history make up. Canadian history is very far for me to make me an expert!
thanks for clearing this up!
However it sounds an interesting gaming adventure!
argsilverson

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 12:49:05 AM »
Darn it you're discussing my next project.  The sooner Thunderchicken gets here the better, I need some motivation to paint quicker!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 02:36:54 AM »

If you are far away, like me, you may mix some things up!
Sorry for the history make up. Canadian history is very far for me to make me an expert!
thanks for clearing this up!
However it sounds an interesting gaming adventure!

I'm sure that your Canadian history is better than my Greek history. I wasn't trying to make fun.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 02:46:21 AM »
Darn it you're discussing my next project.  The sooner Thunderchicken gets here the better, I need some motivation to paint quicker!!

Thats not your next project! Its possibly the next project after your next project, but its not your next project.  ;)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 03:18:09 AM »
You know me too well Sir.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57:51 AM »

Easy tiger! Who's the one playing in the snow with all the flash toys...... and being paid for it!  ;)
Don't!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »
The Fenian invasions and the Riel rebellion are actually seperate conflicts occuring in Canada during the Victorian period.

The Fenians were Irish with mixed goals - either a new Irish homeland or hold Canada hostage for Irish freedom at home. Twice they tried to invade Canada with no lasting effect other than spurring the British possessions in North America to unite for common protection from the nasty Americans.

The Riel rebellion was the most spectacular of a series of conflicts between native tribes and their mixed blood French speaking Metis allies and the British government.

Louis Riel was actually a very interesting Victorian character. He was a gifted and inspiring leader who was plagued with mental illness (he thought that he was a prophet)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Riel

RAFM makes a figure of him and his inner circle in their Riel Rebellion line. Unfortunatley they are true 25mm. A great unique VSF opportunity for someone.....

As the Wikipedia article says, Riel did spend some time in the states, so contact between him and the Fenians is not out of the realm of possibility, especially if you are willing to go a little ahistorical.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »
As the Wikipedia article says, Riel did spend some time in the states, so contact between him and the Fenians is not out of the realm of possibility, especially if you are willing to go a little ahistorical.

Good point. It's VSF. Rule nothing out. Perhaps the Riel Rebellion was started as a desperate attempt to reclaim Canada for the french..... Tons of possibilities if you really think of it. I'm going to pick up a RAFM Riel fig at Hot lead I think....

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 09:39:34 PM »
Chairface, you'd better email RAFM - they only normally take limited stock with them to Hotlead.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 03:20:43 AM »
Chairface, you'd better email RAFM - they only normally take limited stock with them to Hotlead.

I plan to. I need some Chronopia stuff too.

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »
Chaps I have a load of HLBSC British Infantry I no longer require, about 100 all painted. Before I put them on ebay I shall make them known here, I have some photos available if anyone is interested,

Nick

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »
Chaps I have a load of HLBSC British Infantry I no longer require, about 100 all painted. Before I put them on ebay I shall make them known here, I have some photos available if anyone is interested,

Nick

Please, tell me you have some of the ones standing guard or on parade with rifles shouldered? I have 5 of those and need 3 or 5 (or any other number that would turn them into a unit capaple of a decent formation).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »

Nick

Photos would be grand.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »
Good point. It's VSF. Rule nothing out. Perhaps the Riel Rebellion was started as a desperate attempt to reclaim Canada for the french..... Tons of possibilities if you really think of it. I'm going to pick up a RAFM Riel fig at Hot lead I think....

If you want to link Riel and the Fennians then it is worth noting the time Riel spent in the 1880s around Fort Benton for it was there on the banks of the Missouri that in 1867 Gov. Meagher, former leader of the Irish brigade in the US Civil war had disappeared one day while negotiating the sale of rifles for the heavily Irish Monatana militia. Perhaps he simply went underground to organize his rebellion ...