Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686594
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TMWWBKs adaptation update to - RCW AAR - Trouble at Transkaya - and New Game Mat  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
A Conscript level unit with Officer.

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
The card for Conscript level units.

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
A Regular level unit card.

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
Top level unit card.

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
Artillery card.

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
…and finally, the HMG card.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
Excellent work on the cards, WS. I wasn't really expecting more than some brief mods notes.

I like the idea of granting different free actions depending on unit class. I was already thinking of doing that for the Mex Rev. I might just borrow the idea of giving elite units 'Skirmish', which for me means US regulars (not that I have or plan to have any, but to allow for others who do... )

Am I right in assuming you use the firing stats as per the rules, and haven't upgraded in line with the suggestion for bolt action rifles on page 36?

I see that you haven't changed the MG stats from the rule as written, which are very obviously intended to represent early, Gatling-type MGs. I felt that some upgrading was essential, both for accuracy's sake, and to differentiate the two types on the tabletop. If you'll only be using improved MGs it shouldn't be an issue. My mods are: four dice per crew figure; 30 inch range; no jamming; 7/9 points. This might appear to produce an over-powerful unit, but as Mexican MGs will all be poorly drilled, and there'll be an out-of-ammo rule that comes into play on a particular dice roll (yet to be decided, but probably something like more ones rolled than hits inflicted), its effect should be sufficiently tempered. BTW, the out-of-ammo rule will apply to all units; both sides were plagued by ammo supply problems, either because of shortages (revolutionaries), or poor fire discipline leading to appalling wastage (Federales).  You might also be interested in my ideas for LMGs: two crew figures; four dice per crew figure; 24 inch range; no jamming; 4/6 points. 

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Excellent looking game :-* and some good ideas. I like the activation rules, I've used the same idea in a western gunfight set I wrote myself, but hadn't thought of using it for TMWWBK multi-player games.

I'll be using the rules for the 1912/13 Balkans Wars, so I may pinch a few of your ideas for that!

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
Thanks LM and Sunjester!  And good luck to both of you for your own adaptations of TMWWBKs.

LM: You are right that I did not upgrade the rifles, as we found that the firing on the cards was bloody enough.  I forgot to mention that if a unit had a Lewis gunner, I allocated 3 x dice for that figure for shooting, and they rolled to become a casualty (like the leader rolls), with a 3 denoting that they were killed (and no one else could then use the Lewis gun).

I see the need for you to differentiate your HMGs and I think your ideas should work well.  We looked at adjusting the range of Maxims, but to be honest, like many wargamers I like to get my toys on the table, and so keeping the range as is, plus restricting the ammo, was a way of having heavy weapons but without them dominating to the point of skewing the feel of the game.  As it was, we found the artillery particularly deadly.  Of course it all depends on the war and the feel that you are after!

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Thanks for posting your mods: they look really interesting. Still haven't had a game of plain TMWWBK yet, but after that I'll give your ideas a go.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
The difference with MGS in the Mex Rev, on the federal side at least, is that they weren't organic to infantry units; they were all temporarily assigned from the artillery regiment on a needs basis, and no distinction was drawn between heavy and light MGs - which is why I'll be treating LMGs as separate crewed weapon units, the same as HMGs. 

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
Hello,
All your efforts look gorgeous to me! I would really like to try your MODs.
Any chance to send all interested gamers a file containing your game material,
tokens, cards ?
Thank you!
Stefano

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
Hi Stefano, thank you for your kind words and it would be my pleasure to send the documents to whoever would like them.  Unfortunately I have no idea how to use file sharing ware, however if you or anyone else would like to PM me I will gladly email the stuff across.  Thanks again.