Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:06:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689676
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Back into painting with Rogue Stars  (Read 3546 times)

Offline JayOBedlam

• Assistant
Back into painting with Rogue Stars
« on: December 21, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
It's been absolutely yonks since I've picked up a paintbrush, so I thought I'd get back into it with the lovely Rogue Stars miniatures that arrived last week from North Star Military Figures.

I really like these sculpts, they are full of character and nicely detailed. I sprayed them grey then went over them with some Army Painter wash (strong or dark tone depending on the figure) as this really brings out the details on the mini.

The first sculpt I have tackled was initially my least favourite of the bunch, a relatively generic female with a rifle. However, after a lick of paint I feel she's really grown on me. She was varnished with gloss and then matte was added to the head, hair, knife and black parts of the rifle.

Any and all advice on improving my technique is much appreciated. The base is still a work in progress, and I'm considering just mounting these on clear bases.

Here is Machiko, bad ass space mercenary.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:55:09 PM by JayOBedlam »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Back into painting with Rogue Stars
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:54:57 PM »
Looks good!

Do you drybrush the figures with white after the initial wash has dried? If not, it's worth a try, as it gives you a nice variation in shades. If you use very thin tints of paint over that, the models often largely paint themselves.

Offline JayOBedlam

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 02:12:41 PM »
Looks good!

Do you drybrush the figures with white after the initial wash has dried? If not, it's worth a try, as it gives you a nice variation in shades. If you use very thin tints of paint over that, the models often largely paint themselves.

Thanks! No I've not tried that yet, I'll give it a go on the next figure.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »
I really like the pink hair! I will probbaly paint mine the same way. Great work!

Offline JayOBedlam

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
I really like the pink hair! I will probbaly paint mine the same way. Great work!

Thanks!

Offline JayOBedlam

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »
2nd attempt - not quite as happy with this guy as the first one. White is a hard colour to get right! I wanted him to have a bright, shiny white jumpsuit, but it came out a bit dirtier than that. I do like the colour scheme though :) Couldn't quite decide what shade I wanted on the face, and then varnish took it a shade lighter as well. I still really like the models though, they've got a lot of character. This guy didn't seem to photograph so well either, so apologies for that.

Nevertheless, meet 'The Droog'. Hailing from a planet known for it's awkward social codes, conservative nature, bad food and good tea, The Droog was an archetypal teenage thug. He rebelled against his shocked parents and society by indulging in a pretentiously sociopathic path of ritualised gang warfare, drug abuse, licentious behaviour and listening to classical music. An insufferable narcissist, he eventually took his own brand of 'the old ultra-violence' to the stars, escaping the inevitable slide into drudgery that was the fate of most of his people by selling his services as an assassin, hitman, full time knife-for-hire and part-time restaurant critic.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:55:53 PM by JayOBedlam »

Offline JayOBedlam

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
The Robot With No Name. He's a silent robot that breezes into town and blows away the bad guys, there's not a lot else to his character  :D

This dude was quick and easy to paint, and I'm happy with how he turned out.

Here's a shot of the lineup so far, plus my work in progress turtle man merc.

Offline Tanin

• Student
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 09:19:05 AM »
Couple of suggestions for painting white. Firstly base coat the figure with either a very light grey or spray white. Add multiple layers of a thinned white. Once dry dry brush with more white. I find this helps avoiding the chalky clumping.

Another method I've tried is after base coat, give it a coat of varnish then layer the white. I've even had some success adding the white to the varnish itself, just make sure it's well mixed.

I especially like the robot you've done, used a similar paint scheme on a genestealer for a mining robot for my robot faction.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:24:32 AM by Tanin »

Offline Tanin

• Student
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
Here you go.

Anyone know how to rotate my image?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:43:26 AM by Tanin »

Offline Tanin

• Student
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »