Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tips for rivers & water effects - what do I need to know?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Tips for rivers & water effects - what do I need to know?
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:31:11 PM »
Title says it all I guess.

I'm planning to make some terrain boards with water features, and have never used any sort of water effect products before.

I'm aware most of them involve applying some sort of thick clear liquid over a base colour and leaving to dry for. Educate me!

I'm going to start with just some boards with a small stream, and will later have this join a wider river.

The stream and river will both be sunk 20mm into the surface. I'm looking forward to having fun sculpting different sorts of river banks and such, including some low-lying wetland around the stream on one board.

I also am definitely not going to be painting the water bright blue!!!! I want it realistic, so I guess some sort of murky greenish grey is what I want?

So what products have you guys found work? Feel free to show me some pics of your own rivers, and tell me how you did the water.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Tips for rivers & water effects - what do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »
I've used Vallejo water effects, and it gives good results.

A couple of things to watch out for
It doesn't flow like water - I found this a bit of a surprise so you have to push it into edges and corners, and not leave any lumps

It can pull in colour from flock or tufts when wet. I tried using tufts to look like reads sticking out - this really didn't work, in part due to the point above.

You only want thin layers, otherwise it can take ages to dry, and can leave white blobs.

A bit of colour underneath works very well. Putting colour in when wet seems to make it cloudy.

Despite the above it's easy to use and dries overnight. You can put in ripples and the like after it has dried a little.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
I have used the following method:
http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#plan
The example is for a dungeon corridor but the method is valid.  All of the supplies are available in the UK through either amazon or your local DIY store.
A couple of things that I can suggest if you do this technique.  First is do all vegetation that is not under water after the water is set.  Second if any of the resin is tacky after 24 hours use the clear two part epoxy resin to cover the surface and seal the surface. 
Third, ensure that the surface that you are pouring on is completely level. 
Nice thing about this is that the surface is rock hard.  It also takes ink well for tinting. 
There are other products that are available and I have tried many of them but the envirotex is my favorite.
Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »
Ventilate your room.

Make sure you seal the area you plan to add the resin water to, otherwise it may warp the underlying baord depending upon your material.

Use a spirit level....resin will find the lowest spot.

Lots of small layers is much better than one big misty puddle.

Ventilate your room.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:24:27 PM »
Ventilate your room.
I always forget to mention the safety stuff.  Goes with my nubby fingers.  lol
Snitchy sends.