Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Millions Bunker Sj5 Lahde Sector  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Millions Bunker Sj5 Lahde Sector
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »
Just starting out in 6mm IABSM and we are planning on gaming the Winter War - I'm the Finns so will lose...

The area we are starting with is the Lahde sector and Summa Village where the Mannerheim line was breached.

Also been laying with my 3d printer but it's SLOOOOOW  2hours to print the Easter Casement of the Millions bunker in 1/300 ish:

Plan is to print out the map in 1/600 scale so we can get the Lahde sector that was breached. 
With Sj4 (poppius bunker La4 on the top map) and Sj5 (Millions La5) on the back corners of the table 1/600 ground scale works.

Initial battles will be either loads of Soviet tanks or loads of Soviet infantry vs the dug in Finns then later a combined arms attack that blew the line wide open.

Oh and for the Summa Village I've started on the Experimental Heavy Tank Platoon consisting of a KV-1, a T-100 and the SMK.

SMK:

I've got a load more infantry on the way from H&R and I need to make about 2 miles of AT rocks, wire and bunkers...

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Millions Bunker Sj5 Lahde Sector
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »
Cool project 8)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
This project has had a refresh, but we've changed system!
Now looking at Spearhead instead of IABSM.  At 1/4000 ground scale I can get either the summa village and Lahde sector or the Lahde sector (were the breach happened) in depth.

6x4' gives around 7kmx5km

I've found very very good copies of Finnish maps from the 30's and Richard N has a nice big printer...

Plan is 1/4000 horizontal scale (20m=5mm) and 1/2000 vertical (10m=5mm) Otherwise it'll be a bit flat.
Plan is to cut all the 10m contours in foamcard (I got a load free!) :o

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
Nice tank.

That is a big project.

Good luck with it.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
Heh, what do you know, I started doing a project on the very same area, ie. Lähde sector. I was kinda planning on having the 'Millions' 3d printed myself but in 1/72 - but I came to the conclusion it would cost a bit too much (and probably take ages) to print, even in pieces and without roofs and floors. So it's back to the drawing table.

Another issue I have is that nowhere I can find maps with trench lines drawn of the area, all you can find is the location of various bunkers / korsu, and the general line of tank obstacles & barb wire, maybe some tank traps thrown in. So my enthusiasm kinda ran out there. But I intend to pick it up again one of these days.

It's probably best just to scratch-build bunkers and trench using the traditional methods. Let me know if you need any information or sources, I got a couple of good ones, and being Finnish, I can get to the original sources maybe easier? I would be curious to see the maps you mentioned...

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
Nice one, this project has taken a bit of a back seat as another ridiculous project has taken over! lol

Please drop me a message to reminnd me later as at home I've got some excellent references from an old website that might have the trench and wire locations.

I have also found high-res maps of the area (better than the one above!) too from the 1930's I can send you.  They cover the whole sector probably 20+km around the 'finger'.