Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691129
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starship Troopers anyone painting them?  (Read 10881 times)

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
Re: Starship Troopers anyone painting them?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:05:25 PM »

Yeah, you're right, Gibbon. The entire line has been a bitch to assemble. Worth it in the end, but even my wife commented that I looked frustrated just putting them together. The King Tanker? I had to drink some Kentucky Bourbon just to keep from throwing the damn thing against the wall - the instructions were pathetic.

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:38:39 PM »
Cougar powersuits, best scifiminis EVER :-*

i think i'm gonna dig out the SST box and finish that stuff soon, the glueing of their plastics puts me off tho:(

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
I have a chickenhawk that I have painted up for my 1930s pulp game. Also picked up 2 packs of skinnies for generic aliens for the same era. Not yet painted, however.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »

Wow, I thought the Welsh were impervious to everything!!  lol

CYMRU AM BYTH!

I have a Welsh platoon of Mobile Infantry, I got bored and looked into my heritage! ;D

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 02:03:05 AM »

That'd be cool to see. Got any pics you could post?

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:45 AM »

Wow, I thought the Welsh were impervious to everything!!  lol

CYMRU AM BYTH!

I have a Welsh platoon of Mobile Infantry, I got bored and looked into my heritage! ;D

Ah, but are you North Welsh or South Welsh? lol lol lol
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 05:04:28 AM »
A few years ago, my wife bought me the components of the starter set, minus the box and the templates (local store was sold out, made her a deal on what would normally come in the box, sans the extra stuff, plus a Mobile Troopers army book). It was a nice gift, but this was about the time that Mongoose was "remolding" the line, shortly followed by the numerous delays and eventual death of the system.

It was the first science-fiction system in years that had the teeth, money, and fanbase to knock 40k off its pedestal, and it was a terrible disappointment when they killed it; getting rid of Andy Chambers for the 2nd edition was a bad enough idea, and it just spiraled out of control there. I don't think many of us will ever quite forgive them for that (or for what they did to the Babylon 5 game(s), etc.)

Frankly, I'm -amazed- Mongoose is still in business. But it takes all kinds, I guess.

Personally, I'd love to see somebody do SST again, but based strictly upon the books. That would be one sweet game.

-Doc

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »
I think the plastics were decent looking sci-fi troops but I never could sum up the courage to assemble them!

It took me almost longer to assemble one single cap trooper than painting up an entire Battle Company for LotR..  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »
It was the first science-fiction system in years that had the teeth, money, and fanbase to knock 40k off its pedestal, and it was a terrible disappointment when they killed it; getting rid of Andy Chambers for the 2nd edition was a bad enough idea, and it just spiraled out of control there.

Even as the author of Mongoose Word at War book I have to agree that the SST Andy Chambers 1st edition was (at least for me) the best so far. :)
The good thing: the boxed game was complete. You do not need any more of the follow-up books to play the game. And right now you can very affordable get the minis on ebay...
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 09:49:12 PM »
WoW! Thanks everyone for the replies! If any of you are in the Southern Californian area please contact me, well get together for a game. I belong to the "Bengal Club" and several of us did our first game Friday, loads of fun although do to the poor layout of the original rules we made quite a few mistakes and just made up things rather than take the time to sort through the "fluff" sprinkled through the rules... wish the "history" and fluff was in one area and the "RULES" were in another... lol.. but the rules once you find all of them are really good IMO! You can check out my minis and a nice battle report on my site www.historicalhobbies.com

I now have 20 warriors, 6 Hoppers, 1 Tanker, all painted in 1 month, I can assemble 10 Warriors in 2 hours, this includes scraping all the parts to remove "flash" (takes longer if I cut and re pin legs for outragious poses!) Painting takes me around  45 miniutes per bug more (I do a rather complicated "bug"...lol)I did not realy like the Mongoose MI, tough to assemble! and I had a bunch of WarHammer 40K Candian Imperial Guard that do very nicely as MI! They are also 5mm smaller so bugs LOOK bigger!

Since the rules are no longer in print, I'm tempted to convert them all to a MS word doc (without the History and Fluff) so as to make it easier amongst our group. Of course that being against the copyright rules I would never do such a thing  ;) I have also created some very nice unit cards for both MI and Bugs. I may post these up for use when I get a chance. They have all the needed stats for the unit. So far I have Warriors, Tankers, Hoppers, 5-8 man MI squad, 5-man Command group, Heavy Weapons Team, Chicken Hawk, Marauder, and some custom statts for use with MI tanks and Walkers! I use old WH40K Rhinos, Walkers, and such.

Regards,

Bill W

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:10:07 PM by Vonkluge »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 12:10:55 AM »
Shamefully, most of mine still remain unpainted since I got them back when SST was flippin' new :o. The CAP troopers all were very fun to build and play with, but all my Arachnids still hide away in a bits box.

Oh, and Rob, it's me, Roughneck GIR. I've been hiding elsewhere as you can see. Quite miss Hiromoon and the Lt. though.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 04:05:51 AM »

Bako, what happened to the Lt.? Ben said he thought he was in the hospital, but I never heard another thing. S.I.C.O.N. disappeared off the face of the planet, and that felt like the last straw for SST.
Not sure where they are, but for those interested, the updated rules are available online - I think at the EVO Command forum. All the unit cards are available there, too.
  I'm in the DFW area of Texas, so no SoCal trips for me, sorry. A shame, really, since I have a pretty large collection to game with. Some of the best Cons I ever attended were there, PacifiCon being a standout. This year we'll have 3 Greater Games Gathering game days, and then Skirmish '09 in July, followed my MilleniumCon in November. I hope to be running SST at several of these Cons.

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »
New version of the rules? SST rules? all I could find was a free "basic" teaser set for Battlefield Evolution.... :'( That does not appear to have bugs in it or even be in the same time frame. Does anyone know where to find the stats for the newer units in SST like King Tankers, and others not covered in the original rules? I find it sad that companys like Mongoose change direction and products like most people change underwear (hopefully) but I do understand it. When you reach a certain size as a company you must generate "x" amount of income per month and people using last years miniatures do not do that. A perfect example is GW, the have to change things to create a level of buying and interest equal to that "x" factor. I would be nice owever if they would just continue the support of the old lines, but then I guess they would not have as many people buying the new stuff.... It takes most of us (people with lives other than miniatures 24/7) some time to collect, buy, paint, these armys of miniatures and indeed some of us may not get into the current game for awhile after initial release. To then have the game dropped is very disapointing. I guess that might be one of the ideas behind the "prepaints" you eliminate the time factor for raising new armys, just multiply the "cost" factor.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:03:45 PM by Vonkluge »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 04:17:07 PM »
New version of the rules? SST rules? all I could find was a free "basic" teaser set for Battlefield Evolution.... :'( That does not appear to have bugs in it or even be in the same time frame. Does anyone know where to find the stats for the newer units in SST like King Tankers, and others not covered in the original rules?

The 2nd edition stats were only shortly available as a free play test version on the Mongoose site. Matt got seriously flamed by a particularly offensive guy and the general interest was low, therefore the whole project was buried. :(
You can get however get all the unit-stats in the still available pdf versions of the 1st edition books:
http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=11891&it=1&filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=45

Or check ebay frequently...
 ;)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
I have played the 'SST:Evo' rules, they were quite good. Not amazing, but quite good.
It was disappointing that he did not see it through, prepaints was a stupid idea really at the prices he was offering.

If Matt can't take a flaming, he shouldn't be running a games company. Or any company. Wherever you go, there will be some criticism. Nothing is ever perfect and with Matt's lack of planning, things are bound to not be perfect.

The problem was that Matt brought things out that he was interested, lost interest in them and they degenerated into nothing. Very unfortunate really.

This is of course, what I've HEARD. I do not KNOW.  :)