Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Starship Troopers (book) inspired artwork  (Read 992 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Looking for Starship Troopers (book) inspired artwork
« on: July 16, 2023, 04:48:04 AM »
Hello All,

As the title says I am searching for artwork that would best match the marauder suits in the novel. 

Too many searches bring in the Anime movie (I did not know that existed) and of course the movies and cartoons. 

If you you have any golden images please share. Just searching for inspiration. 

Thanks

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Looking for Starship Troopers (book) inspired artwork
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 08:31:23 AM »
Even though not artwork in a 2D sense, I've always been hugely partial to the Grizzly Suits from the miniatures game. They very closely resemble how I imagined the suits to look when I first read the novel as a lad...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 04:00:22 PM »
Even though not artwork in a 2D sense, I've always been hugely partial to the Grizzly Suits from the miniatures game. They very closely resemble how I imagined the suits to look when I first read the novel as a lad...
I always imagined them like some of the SF3D suits.  This one in particular.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 04:50:21 PM »
I have started to re-read the book to gather notes. 

I am trying to see the size of these suits.  Are we talking about a Halo Master Chief body armor or a closer to BattleTech Battle Armor.

Don't know yet exploring.  Right now my reading leads me to feel the "suit" is closer to Space Marine style armor.

Those Grizzly suits were very sweet models. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 04:56:54 PM by LouieN »

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 07:51:28 PM »
I have started to re-read the book to gather notes. 

I am trying to see the size of these suits.  Are we talking about a Halo Master Chief body armor or a closer to BattleTech Battle Armor.

Don't know yet exploring.  Right now my reading leads me to feel the "suit" is closer to Space Marine style armor.

Those Grizzly suits were very sweet models.

According to the book, they are man sized suits of armor.  They are bulky at the top giving the wearer an 'ape-like' appearance.  They are not the big Marauder suits from the Roughneck Chronicles or the table top game, and would have been more similar to the Grizzily or Cougar suits.  From a Battletech perspective, think Elemental or Inner Sphere Standard Battle Armor sized suits with the firepower of a lance of mechs and infinitely more mobile.

They have to be small enough to be placed into drop pod shells and fired at a planet (the pods are loaded like bullets in a gun into the dropship and fired at the planet, where the pod then breaks up to disperse chaff and other items to confused orbital defenses).  The suits are also noted to be small enough for the wearer to perform maintenance on his own suit (and the MI is all male, fleet being predominantly female).

While they do provide some armor, that is not their purpose.  Rather they are meant to be fast with extremely high firepower and a sealed environmental system (including tactical nuclear rockets on certain occasions).  It wouldn't game well in a traditional sense, 1 MI trooper could easily crush most 1500 40k armies who would never even get within firing distance.  The bugs are potentially deadly because there are thousands to tens of thousands per MI trooper, and they move underground. Their preferred tactic is bum rush the MI with drone workers which only have like 1 fighter per hundred bugs)
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 02:32:03 AM »
Long time since I read the book.

Didn't they also have jump packs?

Offline spleenrippa

• Assistant
    • Roboterkam
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 02:55:18 AM »
Long time since I read the book.

Didn't they also have jump packs?

The suits have an inherent jump capability, yeah. In the opening of the book, the dangers of jumping too high (presumable into enemy LOS) are mentioned.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 04:08:49 AM »
I completed the first chapter. The fire power is insane.

In the Sci-fi version of the "Things they carried" Mr. Rico was armed with...

Hand Flamer
"Mini" <2 Kilo Ton Nuclear RPG with 3 reloads. A shoulder fired weapon that was brought into firing position and had a trigger that was squeezed.   
Backpack Grenade Launcher (Y-Rack).  It could be reloaded. 
Heavy Flamer
Hand tossed "grenades" on the belt.  Including the infamous "I am a thirty second bomb..."
"Fire Pills". light explosives tosses in bundles
A knife Beam to cut away a wall section
and yes the jump jets

As a note except for the Y-rack none of the weapons were "mounted" to the suit. I would love to see an artist recreate all that. 

I can draw only one conclusion. 

Have fun in the discussion you Apes! 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 04:10:50 AM by LouieN »