Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Final Fight/Streets of Rage type minis game?  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
Re: Final Fight/Streets of Rage type minis game?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »
How long does it take to assemble?

Well, I saw Vampifans blog a few years ago and now I have shelves full of an ever increasing number of card models, so... :-D

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:48:47 PM »
Jack, if you go for the Battle Systems Urban Apocalypse sets you can make a building in a few minutes and when you've finished using it, disassemble it even quicker, since you won't be thinking about what items to place where. It is strong, durable and very, very easy to assemble. The biggest problem with the likes of the print and make sets is that they are very time consuming to make, especially if you want interior detail. On the other hand, they offer you a far greater choice of buildings to use, most of which come intact. Bear in mind that the Battle Systems sets are designed for a post-apocalypse setting. I hope that helps.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
Jack, if you go for the Battle Systems Urban Apocalypse sets you can make a building in a few minutes and when you've finished using it, disassemble it even quicker, since you won't be thinking about what items to place where. It is strong, durable and very, very easy to assemble. The biggest problem with the likes of the print and make sets is that they are very time consuming to make, especially if you want interior detail. On the other hand, they offer you a far greater choice of buildings to use, most of which come intact. Bear in mind that the Battle Systems sets are designed for a post-apocalypse setting. I hope that helps.

Vampifan: Thanks to your blog, I have also been ogling the Battle Systems Urban Apocalypse sets. I assume that you mean that you put individual components together and then assemble them on the table as you see fit?

I have some of the Fat Dragon Capital City which are essentially 'boxes' with no interior but they look good on the table http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/?page_id=38

"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »
Vampifan: Thanks to your blog, I have also been ogling the Battle Systems Urban Apocalypse sets. I assume that you mean that you put individual components together and then assemble them on the table as you see fit?

That's exactly right. The walls, floors and roofs just clip together by use of small plastic connector clips.

Fat Dragon Games are useful if you want to make buildings without interiors. I have some of their models myself.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 04:08:09 AM »
Are there some suggested posts from vampifan's blog i should check out?

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Are there some suggested posts from vampifan's blog i should check out?

For some of Vampifan's most excellent card scenery, here's a link I've found http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.co.uk/p/card-scenery.html

I've only dabbled a bit in card scenery, and I've found even if World Work Games are very nice the models they can be unnecessary fiddly to put together. Stoetzl structures I never got on with as it is specifically designed to be mounted on foam core first.

For efficient, nice looking card terrain I stick to Fat Dragon Games Capital City. The files have filters so you can tailor the prints a bit for your needs and they come together nicely, no interior though if that's what you are looking for.

Another site I've used is Germy's free downloadable buildings, more scaled for 25mm but can be used for 28mm as well. He's got a bar, a gunshop, a garage, a warehouse and a two storey city block. http://www.germy.co.uk/paper25mm.html

The thing about papercraft though is that it will be quite heavy on your printer ink usage!

If you are not too bothered and want something cheap and cheerful to put on the table, I've used some of the Infinity Scenery Packs from Corvus Belli. All the card terrain is pre printed, so you only need to literally fold it! The packs also include a paper gaming mat (24"x34") and cost around $10 each.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corvus+belli+scenery+pack

Otherwise, I personally use mainly MDF buildings these days. They are very affordable, surprisingly tough and comes together easily then it's up to you if you want to paint them. There's a multitude of manufacturers out there and probably several that are selling on Ebay.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
You can also go for 10-15mm and use the cardboard dropzone commander paper set. It has floor tiles and a huge amount of scenery, so enough to get gaming.
But of course the models won't look as cool in that scale.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
For Battle Systems check out these two recent posts.
http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/battle-systems-urban-apocalypse-terrain_9.html
http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/battle-systems-urban-apocalypse-terrain.html

Damn you Scott!!!!  lol lol

Having seen them now, I have decided it's a MUST have!!!! With limited time for the hobby nowadays, prepainted and easy to construct stuff has a great appeal to me and as the terrain mainly come together without glue, what's NOT to like about it!!!!!

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »
Gotcha!  lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:09 PM »
I see the Mongoose Gangs of Mega City One game is going for peanuts on ebay. Comes with paper buildings, mat and 12 minis.

A few sets of this seems a very cheap way to get a cityscape up and going as well as a handful of mooks/extras.

Can anyone speak to the quality of the paper buildings and mat?

Also, what scenarios are in the Fistful of Kung Fu book? How's the campaign?

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »
I do have the Mongoose Gangs of Mega City One game you were asking about. The quality of the buildings and game mat is not good. The buildings are made of thin card but the game board is just made out of paper. Yes, it would do to get you started, but I'd replace it all as soon as you get something more substantial.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
@Jack Hooligan I'm going to be looking for Indepedent playtesters for my 70's Street Gang rules. Currently ironing out a few things and then going to be sharing it with the testers.

Check out www.facebook.com/funkyskullgames :D

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
I do have the Mongoose Gangs of Mega City One game you were asking about. The quality of the buildings and game mat is not good. The buildings are made of thin card but the game board is just made out of paper. Yes, it would do to get you started, but I'd replace it all as soon as you get something more substantial.

I'm sure this is likely the case. For the cost I'm spending though I think it'll be a good value to get me up and running quickly.

I'm keen on the Hasslefree martial artists, but it looks like they are sold out of quite a few...and I don't see the sumo guy on their site. Do they restock often? Have a US based distributor?

@flags_of_war I'll check out what you're doing as it seems similar. I'm going to be angling a more 80's setting though.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:51:38 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
There's some great stuff in this thread - did you ever be any further?

I've been thinking of knicking this project idea and buying some sally 4th roads and playing the game much closer to a 2D game - i.e. A long but only 18cm wide battlefield littered with street debris.

I'd be tempted to use paper terrain files to make a street fascia as background, just like streets of rage. Seems like using Pulp Alley and making your protagonist either a duo league or a single terror might work well.

Hmmm... might go and treat myself i a few of those Golgo island cannon fodder blokes. Anyone know where one can buy 28mm fists?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:00:54 PM by Jagannath »