Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686610
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 752
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Final Fight/Streets of Rage type minis game?  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Final Fight/Streets of Rage type minis game?
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »
Anyone have any idea if there's a minis game that sort of plays out like an old-school arcade beat'em up? Heroes walking around beating up mooks in a run down, dystopian city?

I guess one could play Gangs of Mega-City One/Judge Dredd/Necromunda and have all the players skip the range weapons. Just engage and beat the crap out of each other. Not sure how much fun that would be...

Maybe it's not an ideal setting for a minis game, but is there anything out there like this?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:41:32 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
Re: Final Fight/Streets of Rage type minis game?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
The Golgo Island and Neutron York 3000 rules are great fun and might suit your needs. The miniatures are also heavily inspired by 1980s video games. They're available from East Riding Miniatures.

http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/erm-25-11-c.asp

"Morning!"

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
A Fistful of Kung Fu from Osprey could work. It allows for interacting with props, allowing you to do things like leave crowbars and barrels around the place.

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
A modification of Two Hour Wargames All Things Zombie replacing the randomly spawning zombies with randomly spawning mooks possibly?

IIRC using guns or otherwise making more noise causes more zombies to spawn, which could be exploited to keep guns as occasional power ups rather than a focus
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:56:41 PM by Dezmond »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:36:42 AM »
A Fistful of Kung Fu from Osprey could work. It allows for interacting with props, allowing you to do things like leave crowbars and barrels around the place.

Good suggestions, all, but I think the above ruleset is almost _exactly_ what I'm looking for. I haven't played the game it's based on (Song of Blades and Heroes) I hear it's highly recommended, but is it _too_ simple?

I'm thinking from the heroclix line I can grab up a bunch of Foot and Hand ninjas for a large gang, maybe some police and citizens...pop them off the clix base, rebase and have a populated urban area quick and on the cheap.

I'd like to find some good brawler/street fighter types (not the actual street fighter characters) to paint up though as player characters. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:20:48 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline dulydude

• Bookworm
    • Dulydude's Shenanigans
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:55:05 AM »
I strongly recommend FoKF as mrgrison has said.

It's not just interacting with things on the street (bricks, rubbish bins, chairs, car doors, watermellons, whateverislogical), but also for throwing people through windows, and slipping on water/blood, and the fact is has rules to include magic, martial arts and firearms in a fairly fun and simple way. Yes the game play is a little simple, but thats to ease the use of interacting with props and etc.

Down side is that you only have 1 hero (unless you decide to play with multiple), and its your hero who does all the cool stuff. They also start with "chi" tokens which are kinda like the specials from streets of range, only you can't get more during a game.

I totally recommend buying the rule set.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 05:21:41 AM »
I'm convinced.

Where to go for decent cityscape terrain though?

Offline Maccwar

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »
I'm convinced.

All sorts of places. TTCombat, Knights of Dice, Litko, GameCraft Miniatures to name but a few.

You can see some examples of various ranges  in my project log over on Warseer:-

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?391258-28mm-Modern-Cityscape

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »

Papercraft! The solution to all your terrain needs and a fun hobby in and of itself!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
Hey, the first picture is from my old WWG Mayhem build :) I gave it all to Vampifan a few years ago :) Good memories...  8)

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
Hey, the first picture is from my old WWG Mayhem build :) I gave it all to Vampifan a few years ago :) Good memories...  8)

And I still have it, Cherno, and I'm still very grateful to you for gifting me it.  ;)

For card terrain, there are lots of options,
World Works Games mayhem City sets as shown above.

Stoelzel's Structures http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/4244/Stoelzels-Structures

Or my current favourite - Battle Systems Urban Apocalypse terrain http://shop.battlesystems.co.uk/urban-apocalypse-terrain-8-c.asp

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »
If you're looking for minis, Hasslefree has a few martial artists that would make great protaganist in an Arcade style game

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-martial-artists

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »
If this conversation doesn't lead to some Double Dragon gaming, I'll be angry :)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
If you're looking for minis, Hasslefree has a few martial artists that would make great protaganist in an Arcade style game

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-martial-artists

Perfect!

Also, good call on the paper terrain. How long does it take to assemble? Complex?

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »
Depends on how durable you want it to be. If you just want to do straight paper builds for your first couple of games, the longest part of the construction will be waiting for the glue to dry. If you want to do it all on foamcore for durability, it'll take a little longer, but I found it easy to knock out 3-4 buildings a night, if not more.

I suggest building http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/29057/Twilight-Street-Heroic-Scale-FREE-Horsemans-Deli?it=1 to see if it's your thing.