Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yet another aeronef build thread (build complete: 3/21/09)  (Read 25395 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread (new pics: 2/24/09, early am)
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 04:43:03 AM »
That’s it I am going to have to start my own thread about building my Aeronef.
Sorry if anybody is sick of seeing these being built but I have to prove my honesty to you doubters.

I never get tired of build threads.  It doesn't even matter what it is being built, I love to see the process.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread (new pics: 3/02/09)
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 02:51:51 PM »
Not much progress this weekend.  Anyway, I'm finding that now that I'm down to the details, there's little to show for hours of work.

Based on responses to the thread, I decided I'd better have a gaming stand for the ship, although it will probably serve considerably more service as a display stand.  Note the forward gun, which would probably be considered something along the lines of an "electrocannon", or, er, something like that:

Here are some better shots of the gun:

Once my Pulp Figures Germans get here, I need to start painting for the LPL, so I hope to get a lot done of the ship over the next couple days.

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »
Nice job Mancha,

I'm surprised... well no, by the amount of people here who "build" but do not play! For me too the fun and joy is in the building, the playing is just a justifacation and then into mt competitive spirit. Also the "ohh's and ahhh"s" when you unvale it in a game are a great reward. I like you base mancha, I have made many many flying base over the years for 1/285th, 1/72, 28mm and more. I have always been most paticular about them as I feel the must not detract the viewers eye from the model.. I like the to sorta "melt" into the backround. A display piece would of course be different. You may have done this but if not my advice would be to weight your base. Yours is wood and you could do it by hollowing out the base a bit either with a dremel of large drill bit and filling that area with lead shot, steel washers or I bought a small "lead" pot that I melt lead in and laddle it into holes. Do not fill completly leave just a bit of space. Fill space with some 2 part epoxy to seal/fix weight in place. Presto a base even a hamfisted gamer has trouble knocking over!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Filling my base is a good idea; thanks.  However, my ship, being made mostly of balsa wood and plastic, is surprisingly light.  I'm sure a determined gamer could knock it over, but it's probably not the kind of thing that could happen with just a normal level of ineptitude and clumsiness.  On the other hand, a beer on top of a normal level of ineptitude and clumsiness would probably do it.   :)

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »
Yes mine too are very light but the unexpected hip bump into the table by the happy gamer who just rolled 3, 6's in a row! is what I plan for...lol and when you spend the amount of time you do on one of these airships the little extra may save a lot of tears... :'( I also have shafts built to raise mine much higher than yours now.... one of my bases is a hefty 5-10 pounds!  :o

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread (new pics: 3/05/09)
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 07:44:59 AM »
Lots of hours of work, little recognizable to show for it.  My Reverisco parts showed up.  The portholes and gun are beautiful, the ladder required some chopping though, and the ventilators are ridiculously huge and more than a little crude.  I made new ones out of grey putty and plastic tubing.  There's a new ammo rack forward of the command bridge, although it's hard to see, and various bolts, rivets, fenders, portholes, identification markings and other sundry details have been liberally sprinkled all over.  I'm also pretty close to done with the command bridge, and for the first time ever I connected the gun using magnets instead of glue.  Cool. 

Still to do:

1) Detailing of the under-hull, including installation of portholes.
2) Construction of the tail section (see picture below).
3) Skylights for the command bridge?
4) Detailing of the funnel.
5) Railings.

Well, that should keep me busy for a while.  I really need to get started painting some LPL teams though.  :(

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »
Coming around really well.

These projects are indeed a lot of work. 

I really need to get started painting some LPL teams though.  :(

Feel your pain.  But we still have quite a lot of time and I am determined to finish my 'nef as soon as possible.  In the meantime, I am also cleaning and basing LPL figures.  I've given myself an "end of March" deadline to have my 'nef and all my LPL teams based and ready for painting.  I think that will be easily doable.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
Feel your pain.  But we still have quite a lot of time and I am determined to finish my 'nef as soon as possible.  In the meantime, I am also cleaning and basing LPL figures.  I've given myself an "end of March" deadline to have my 'nef and all my LPL teams based and ready for painting.  I think that will be easily doable.

I'm a ridiculously slow painter.  I've literally not painted a single mini since the last LPL (although a single five-man team is almost done).  I don't anticipate entering too many teams this time around, and if I don't get started painting soon, I may enter only one or two. 

I wonder, how much time do you think you dedicate to the hobby every day?  Lately I've been putting in about two hours or so.  This may be the best I can hope for, though.  And because I'm blowing off other things to do it, I'm not sure I can maintain that schedule.  I'm genuinely interested in this topic, so maybe I'll start a new thread on it. 

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »
Looking real nice I like the seperation of the deck up in the front. I started using magnetic mounts for for bombloads on models 20 years ago and for holding commanders in coppolas to show "buttoned" or "unbuttoned" tanks. Started doing it on mt VSF stuff and it seems to be catching on. Its a great way to have a small stock or large variety of guns work on several ships. Again your ship looks great! What the nationality going to be?

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
What the nationality going to be?

Tzarist Russian, I think.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 11:14:24 PM »
I also forgot to mention that your using a "tire valve" for the gun is a stroke of genius! Thats the fun of VSF!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
I also forgot to mention that your using a "tire valve" for the gun is a stroke of genius! Thats the fun of VSF!

I'm actually a little disappointed that you were able to identify it.   :'(

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2009, 07:04:04 AM »
Got a critical part done today, the tail section.  It started with a double-thick wafer of card, to which I glued some ribs.  I green-puttied up the ribs, and sanded them down, producing what I hope will look like the usual WW1 airplane wing:

With a couple of wings I could be proud of in hand, I then set about building their struts.  After some careful measuring and drilling, my holes were all over the place (and not due to beer this time, I swear!).  By some miracle, the finished product ended up being more or less squared and stable :o:

She finally looks like an aeronef to me:

I ordered her crew today; the Redoubt unarmed Victorian sailors (thanks Ray Rivers).  Can't wait for them to arrive.

Tasks left to do:

1) Railings
2) Detailing of command bridge
3) Minor detailing of underhull
4) Work on the funnel

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread (new pics: 3/06/09, am)
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2009, 07:10:08 AM »
Looking spectacular, Mancha.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
Re: Yet another aeronef build thread (new pics: 3/06/09, am)
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2009, 07:18:43 AM »
Amazing  :o