Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Paint Set for a gift...  (Read 1089 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Paint Set for a gift...
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »
My brother has been getting into various minis games recently and I've been encouraging him on it with various things.

Now, I'm thinking of getting him a starter set for painting the ones he's got.

I've looked at the one Army Painter has and I've seen a few GW ones, but does anyone have any other suggestions for this? I'd rather not do a build my own for him, but one that covers at least the basics for it.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Paint Set for a gift...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
I, probably in a minority's on this forum, use exclusively Reaper paints.  They are easy to obtain in the USA via Reaper directly or via Miniature-Market (where I pick them up in person.)
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »
I got as a present last year the whole WarColours range. The colours are very well assorted and i love the shades, but they are extremely low opaque. If you're going to paint high quality models, those can be very handy, but for starters it's quite a pain... i ended up using GW foundations for the base colours, then highlighting, shading and glazing with those.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »
I am a big fan of Foundry paints and a their three shades system. They do gift sets.

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/paints/foundry-painting-system#SetsList

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:02:49 AM »
I use Vallejo almost exclusively.  They have a bunch of sets - though I don't know if a "start set" exists.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »
I am a big fan of Foundry paints and a their three shades system. They do gift sets.

I would second Foundry paints.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 07:38:47 AM »
I mostly use P3 paints. The complete range is about 76 paints or such, and many online retailers will do you a complete bundle deal. It's a less useful range for historicals though, and it was designed with the expectation that people would mix paints a little to get more variation.

I also have some Scale 75 paints which are lovely if you are not an army-painter, and some Reaper paints that I love but cannot really get here in the UK.

Vallejo ranges (Model Colour, Game Colour, and Model Air) have all stood me well for painting with a regular brush,  and that leads me to my second recommendation: a set of Vallejo Model Air. The paints are quite thin in consistency, but still have a good coverage and lovely to work with.

Finally, one small personal observation: on a wet palette, VMA tends to run everywhere, and P3 colours often "separate" a touch into their principal colours. Neither affects your painting really, but the Vallejo MC and Scale 75 paints seem to do best on a wet palette.

I cannot recommend Games Workshop paints as I have such limited experience of them.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »

the Foundry Starter Pant Set is the best starter out there.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 09:43:15 PM »
Reaper has awesome paints - I have at least sixty of their Master Series dropper bottles - and a pair of Learn To Paint kits that look like they're worth the money.

Both here: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Learn%20To%20Paint

Offline Jimmyg

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »
Vallejo do a number of sets that can be got on Amazon fot very good prices. It all depends on your brothers interests. You can get small sets for around £10 up to a massive set costing hundreds. Look under Vallejo game colour.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
Well, I kind of ended up getting the Army Painter one, turned out a friend of mine had an extra one I could trade for that he'd gotten as a potential gift for someone else and ended up switching since that person had acquired an airbrush at the time...