Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:26:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696213
  • Total Topics: 118747
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Walls of Troy project  (Read 26346 times)

Offline serran

• Librarian
Re: Walls of Troy project
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
I'd buy the stelae too- great for Pulp as well!

Roderick

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »
I would buy those walls definitely....

Really wonderful work.

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2017, 01:21:52 AM »
Wonderfully executed project!

Will there be more than this tower and wall section?

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
    • http://www.crocodilegames.com
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »
Hi !

Superb work !

But what is "Beesputty" and where could we buy it !?

Thanks! 

Beesputty is a sculpting putty that can be cured at low temperatures in a home oven.  It is easy to work with, but unfortunately the end result is still fairly soft, even when cured (a bit like the hardness of soap).  It is good for making masters that you intend to cast though.

You can get it from the manufacturer here: 

http://beesputty.com/

I've mostly used the 'Beesputty plastic' formula, but the Beesputty Firm is pretty good too. 

Wonderfully executed project!

Will there be more than this tower and wall section?

I'm planning a gate too, and maybe some buildings for the interior.  Was there something else you wanted to see? 

If these turn out well, I may do more stuff later, but this immediate project is just for the basic city walls.

They look great! Nice addition.
Have you read the Age of Bronze comics? Excellent series,  and full of inspiration.

Thanks!  I have not read Age of Bronze yet, but I keep drooling over the comics when I go by the bookstore.  I intend to get to them sooner or later! :)

I'm not sure if I can commit to buying a "Walls of Troy" set should you have them cast up (although, yeah, okay, probably...), but if you make those Stelae I'll buy a set.  They are a fantastic addition to the project!

Thanks Alex!  I had not really planned on casting the stelae, I was just going to paint these for my model - but if there is real interest in them I may try to find a quality resin manufacturer and hand them over to them to produce.  I expect the stelae would be a lot easier to produce than the wall elements.

Thanks everyone! 

-Chris

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
I'm planning a gate too, and maybe some buildings for the interior.  Was there something else you wanted to see? 

If these turn out well, I may do more stuff later, but this immediate project is just for the basic city walls.
I like the idea of a gate structure.  I also like the idea of having some interior buildings.  Another idea would be to have a corner tower where the walls can turn at a 90 degree angle.

And although this is a bit ambitious, I could see having a keep like structure that is perhaps twice the height of the towers, and perhaps 4 times their footprint.

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
I like the idea of a gate structure.  I also like the idea of having some interior buildings.  Another idea would be to have a corner tower where the walls can turn at a 90 degree angle.

And although this is a bit ambitious, I could see having a keep like structure that is perhaps twice the height of the towers, and perhaps 4 times their footprint.

Well, I'm not really building a castle, rather a round, walled city with some towers and gates.  Mine won't be 100% historical (what version is?) but I do want to keep it close.  :)  There was a central citadel, but that would be more of a palace than a keep.  

Here's a nice picture I found online of a reconstruction of the historical site.  Mine won't be nearly so grandiose, but you can see what I'm basing it on.  Just imagine the bottom 3 inches, and that's what I hope to get onto the tabletop:

http://www.crocodilegames.com/content/general/wall10.jpg

(Mod edit: Image may be copyrighted, so no repost, please!)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:16:11 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
This is an inspiring project! Really well thought out and executed. Love the stelae too.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2017, 01:44:26 PM »
What a terrific project.  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:17:07 PM by Mad Doc Morris »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
The placement of the outer towers is interesting, since they're all at one end - might there be an association between the siting of gates and the siting of towers?

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
Well, I'm not really building a castle, rather a round, walled city with some towers and gates.  Mine won't be 100% historical (what version is?) but I do want to keep it close.  :)  There was a central citadel, but that would be more of a palace than a keep. 

Here's a nice picture I found online of a reconstruction of the historical site.  Mine won't be nearly so grandiose, but you can see what I'm basing it on.  Just imagine the bottom 3 inches, and that's what I hope to get onto the tabletop: ...
That is quite good to see!  So no corner towers, the walls curved around in places instead.  Interesting that the inner wall had multiple gates going into the inner and palace area, and some of the towers had doors facing out.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
I know you have already had many praises, but wow  :o :o. That is really shaping out to be a litterally droolling project. I can see from the thread that you have given the idea of producing some for selling some positive thought. Again; I would be very interested.

Cheers

Offline Vongoosewink

• Librarian
Re: Walls of Troy project - houses added
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
Now that the walls are done, I'm planning on adding some buildings to go inside.  Again, I didn't see any that were commercially available, so I'm going to make a few simple buildings that can be easily cast, and then put together in different ways to make them look a little different.  These are going to be humble houses for the common folk of Troy, not the fancy dwelling place of King Priam and his royal family - I'll save that for another day, when I'm less busy!

Here's the plan - 3 buildings, a small one roughly 10'x10', a medium one that is about 10'x20', and a larger one that is 2 stories, maybe 12'x24'.  According to the Osprey book, Trojan buildings would have had stone bases, with mud-brick and timber tops.  Their roofs would likely have been flat, with timber cross-supports, with woven reed over that, then a final layer of pressed clay.  It all sounds sort of primitive, but it was 1200BC, and mud-brick houses actually look pretty neat when finished and seen all together. 

Reference image from the Osprey book:

Here's the first step, a frame cut from 1/4" plywood, and then glued together.  The stonework was sculpted on the smaller one in Beesputty, then I made a press-mold with some heat-malleable plastic that my buddy Roebeast45 gave me, and used that to make the taller building's stonework base.  It needed some correction and clean up, but it did make the second one go twice as fast.

Then I added the plasticard timbers with superglue, and finally the green-putty mud-brick upper section, with texture pressed in with a toothbrush. 

The door and shutters are beesputty, I just sculpted them flat on a piece of brass, and then popped them off when dry.  On the larger building I'll just reuse the door and shutters from the first so I don't have to sculpt them again.

Some finished pics of the medium house, with a WarGods Trojan for scale:

Round the back:

And that's it - the first one is done, just the detailing on the last 2 left to go.

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
Excellent. 8)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
Top class work and if you were Herb's 'apprentice' years ago then you have mastered the art of making miniature buildings  8) 8) 8)

Whilst the book illustrations show solid floors in the towers, they also show wooden beams protruding from the walls so would the floors be wood rather than stone?

On the casting question, would Warlord Games be a good option? I have just received 3 Indian Longhouses (designed by Herb G) and they are made from a lightweight resin that almost seems to be a 'plastic'.

Cheers,

Graham W
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:22:03 PM by Mindenbrush »
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »
Gorgeous! You made it look so easy!