Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Design Philosophy  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
Re: Design Philosophy
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 12:49:26 AM »

Hermit, everything I said to Hawkeye I redirect to you, sir. Got in such a hurry to post I scrolled too far down, so both Kudos, and damn you, sir....!
  So, are the tables & chairs on an independent base, perhaps for differing saloon styles, or scenarios? And what rules do you use for Old West gaming?

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 05:04:42 AM »
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline THEHERMIT

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »

Are the tables & chairs on an independent base?

Yes they are, makes it safer to move figures around inside

Offline THEHERMIT

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »

Hermit, everything I said to Hawkeye I redirect to you, sir. Got in such a hurry to post I scrolled too far down, so both Kudos, and damn you, sir....!
  So, are the tables & chairs on an independent base, perhaps for differing saloon styles, or scenarios? And what rules do you use for Old West gaming?

It was made by Colin and i know it was a bitch to make!! i wouldnt have the patience myself.....
 We play legends of the old west, more on my blog www.townofimelda.blogspot.com

Offline RUSHCAL

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »

It was made by Colin and i know it was a bitch to make!! i wouldnt have the patience myself.....
 We play legends of the old west, more on my blog www.townofimelda.blogspot.com

I REMEMBER BUILDING THIS SALOON LAST YEAR AND I CAN TELL YOU IT WAS A BITCH TO MAKE. 2X2 FOOT BASE
SALOON BEING ABOUT 18 INCH SQUARE. I WOULDN'T GO ANY BIGGER THAN THAT. AS FOR THE TABLES AND CHAIRS THEY WERE PLACED ON AN INDEPENDENT BASE SO THAT THEY COULD BE MOVED AROUND.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 11:22:26 PM »
Leadfool - I love those Arnica buildings (especially the outhouse!), but even though Hawgleg will eventually be selling them, or at least so it seems, it's not happening yet, which means I just have to be patient. As you say, though, they do provide lots of inspiration.

Rushcal - That big! And that detailed! As you say, it really must have been an absolute bitch to build. Looks AMAZING, though, it has to be said. I've been thinking that I'll keep my saloon (when I eventually build it) to about 12" by 12", and maybe have some sort of removable yard area outside that can be added to it for the LOTOW Bar-room brawl scenario, so that the fight can spill outside.

Before I build the saloon, though, I'm going to be building a Sheriff's Office, and it will be my first attempt at a creating a brick effect for the walls. After that, if my ERTL stuff has arrived from eBay, I'm going to check out the Cow Town Hotel to see if the downstairs is big enough to work as a saloon, so that I don't have to build something 18" square!

I'm curious about the ERTL Cow Town stuff, in fact. I picked it up very cheaply, because I had read (here and elsewhere) that the scale is just right for 28mm models. Is this true? I really hope so, otherwise I'll have a heap of useless plastic to add to the heaps of useful, but still unpainted, pewter models that are taking over my house...
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 12:42:23 AM »

Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated. The blog is great, and I hope your finger gets better....ouch!!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 03:25:25 AM »
The Cowtown stuff is great and you are lucky to get a set cheap
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 04:36:21 AM »
Excellent! That's great to hear, Bandit. I think the reason I got my ERTL Cow Town stuff cheap was because it wasn't a set (you know, the one in the Cow Town box), but a lot of loose buildings and things. I could tell from the photos, though, that most of what was there was what's in the Cow Town set. It's not all there, but the stagecoach is there, the hotel, a general store which looks just like the hotel and might be from a different set, the sheriff's office, the blacksmith's, and two windmills. There are also a lot of crates, barrels, boxes and things, which I'm hoping will be useful for detailing the outsides of my buildings.

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to receiving it to see how it looks alongside the three buildings I've made so far. And as I've said, once I have a lightbox, I'll be taking photos of buildings for one thread, to follow the growth of my town, which I'm calling "Serenity", and another thread for models. I've only painted up three models in my first posse so far, but I've converted another three, so I'm looking forward to painting those. More details on all of this once the threads get going!

Oh, I do have a question about open doorways into buildings (since I've been doing buildings with interiors). My technique so far has been to make the doorways 25mm wide. That way, a model on a 25mm round base can stand IN a doorway, rather than simply in front or behind. Is this the norm?

Thanks for all your responses on this!