Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:08:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Paper Ruins/terrain  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Paper Ruins/terrain
« on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:29 PM »
I just bought a few of Dave Graffam ruins sets on DriveThruRpg at $1 each. Multiple skins, nice graphics. Im trying to put one together now, but having a piece of cardboard between sheets to give it some strength. I would love some resin terrain , but it gets expensive. I wouldnt mind making my own with foamcore and balsa wood, but I dont have the time(or skill probably).  So Im going to try this out.

Cardboard/paper models seem a cheap & easy fix.  Too bad the old Mordheim buildings arent available anywhere to buy or download. Too expensive on Ebay if you can even find any!

Ill try to post a  pic once I get it together.

http://www.davesgames.net/catalog-ruins-both.htm

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Paper Ruins/terrain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »
Yes, Graffam's models are high quality, especially considering the fair prices. I have a couple of his sets as well. The hay bales and logs make for great cover if stacked and glued together. With some photoshop/Gimp skills you could create ruined versions of all his buildings... Or just poke some holes into them and spray the interiors black ;)

Offline Boze

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:08:40 AM »
I've done the same thing and can basically fill my 3x3 table to the brim with buildings now!

I only printed on card stock and the bases of some buildings with foamcore. Other then that i find they actually are pretty solid and strong. If i do some more and I may do some cardboard to strengthen them but the way dave designs the buildings they do pretty godo with just cardstock!

Offline Barking Monkey

• Student
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
I've bought and built a host of Graffam's kits over the years.  Up to now I've always printed on cardstock (you can't fold cardboard or foamcore....) this works very well, as long as you base the models on something a little more rigid (something I strongly recommend, it improves the appearance as well as making the models more sturdy.)  If you can find very thin corrugated board, that works pretty well for basing (USPS and UPS mailing boxes are made of this.)

I've started all new terrain for Frostgrave and since I have to have quite a lot made before July it's pretty much all going to be paper model (it's MUCH faster than resin kits or scratchbuilds, in my experience.)  Since I want a little more depth than cardstock provides I'm just using Dave Graffams "Tall Ruined Walls" mounted onto foamcore then cut down and assembled into building ruins.  These are augmented with some of his "low wrecked walls" (which are already 3D) and Finger and Toe's "Ancient Ruin" (also 3D.)

The models built on cardstock are perfectly fine (though you'll want to go over the creases with paint or black marker) it's just the wall depth bugs me slightly.

These are my first attempt at winter terrain, so it's going to be interesting.  I picked up a couple different snow flocks at Cold Wars over the weekend so we'll see how this goes.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »
Instead of using foamcore to give depth to walls, I suggest looking at thick cardstock that is often available in craft and art stores. I like to use 1.5mm cardboard for things like paper miniatures and the very thick 3mm type could be used for stone walls. The advantage it has over foamcore is that it's not as overlick thick and that the edges are solid and can easily be painted instead of having the foam texture. It is harder to cut, of course. The cardboad type I use is called "Finnpappe" ("Finn cardboard") which apparently is is common material in model building. It is very leightweight and somewhat soft so it can still be cut with a knife and metal ruler.

Offline Blackivarr

• Student
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »
I'm certainly a big fan of graffam models

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=86618.msg1070755#msg1070755

Awesome!  I just put together my first small ruin. I put a regular piece of cardboard between layers and used regular paper glue with a little crazy glue in key places.   Looks great, sturdy & cheap. Saved me at least $100 on buying plastic terrain or many hours building my own.

Offline schoon

• Librarian
    • Infinity RPG Fan Site
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »
Another option that few folks consider is Foamed PVC, which can be purchased in a variety of thicknesses, and is more durable than both foam core and cardstock!

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »
Here is my first ruins.
Sorry the pic was turned on its side, its right way up on my end, the forum turned it, possible becuse of file size.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:39:57 PM by Bloodaxe »

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
It turned out very nice, it seems :) What paper did you use?

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
110 card stock thru my printer, then glued it to regular box cardboard. Pretty sturdy. I'm going to try a few more then try something more complex/bigger/taller.

Thanks.