Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Assault: To base or not to base, that is the question...  (Read 1915 times)

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
To those of you who have the Star Wars Imperial Assault figs, I'd like to know your opinion on whether you feel that they look better with their original bases, or re-based. I have a few that I want to start to paint (now that I broke down and bought a pair of reading glasses, I can actually see them again!), and I can't decide whether to re-base them or not. I do like the slimmer bases that they are already on, but some of the figs' feet are off of the base (ex.: Han Solo, Chewie), and that bothers me.

Most of the use for them will probably not be for the game, but I will probably play a few games eventually, so I'm not sure if larger bases would screw with the overall functionality of the game spaces.

Let me have your 2 cents' worth...

Thanks,
Jan

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Imperial Assault: To base or not to base, that is the question...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
I left mine on their original bases, but tried to match the floor tile printing...

... or a generic space vessel flooring:

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
I re-based all of my Imperial Assault stuff. I neede my figure bases to match ones from my other miniatures, So if I use something from another line it doesn't stand out. For example I used Sedition Wars miniatures as bad guys in a game I ran last weekend. Some of the minis will be difficult to re-base. I had to leave the AT-STs on their original bases. The feet are melded into the base too much.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »
...For example I used Sedition Wars miniatures as bad guys in a game I ran last weekend...

Oh, PLEASE say there are piccies!  ;)

Doug

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
I just left mine on the original bases and went with my usual sand and gravel covering. Looks like Tatooine if I squint enough :D

Offline Michka

• Mastermind

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:13:50 PM »
Michi - nice painting (and bases)! 

Both types of bases look good. This is not making my decision any easier, argghh!

I do like the idea of not having to cut the figs from the original bases and glue them to the new ones, but I really don't like figs hanging over the edges. Maybe I could just re-base those ones, and keep the rest intact.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
Hmm, I've wrestled with this conundrum myself!

If you're going to the trouble of painting them, and especially if you plan to do more than basecoat-wash-drybrush, then I would say that rebasing them is probably a good idea.

Not only will the new bases be flat (few of mine were, and after the hot water treatment, several crept back anyway), but you can choose whatever type of base you want.

Personally, I would suggest the flat, thin, laser-cut styles of base suit the original style the best, and you can even go for clear acrylic in order to show up the board underneath. With these, "boss" creatures can still have the edges of their bases painted with red paint or a couple of coats of red ink.

If you go for any bases that have flat bottoms (lasercut, or resin, or any that you fill out yourself with cheap putty), you can also (1) stick a magnet in for ease of transport, and (2) put a little circle of velour on them so that they don't scuff the boards.

I'm sure that all of these suggestions are more involved that you probably wanted, but... I'm a fastidious sort!  lol

Offline leegwonfu

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »
Not at all, Major (especially since I'm currently recovering from knee surgery, and can use all of the "distractions" that I can get).

I'll have to check out the flat, thin bases. I have a lot of laser-cut wood/mdf bases that I normally use, but they seem to be a bit thinker than I'd like for the IA figs.