Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's Star Wars project (Second vendor stall started 7/8/2017)  (Read 91182 times)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Rather then start a bunch of new threads for all the different projects I want to work on right now, I'm making a single, all inclusive thread that I will try to update as often as possible. That is, till I'm pulled back to my fantasy projects. I'm starting off with the Stormtroopers from the Imperial Assault game. I finished painting them, but haven't started re-basing yet. Here we go...

I've also been trying to learn sculpting. I mean proper sculpting, with green stuff  rather then Super Sculpey. I've had some success with making monsters and giants for my Fantasy project, but it takes a whole different set of skills to make 28mm human figures. I was trying to find a good subject when it hit me. I've always wanted some Star Fleet officers for Star Trek role playing games. Those are human beings (mostly) with close fitting uniforms, so why not start there. Here are some W.I.P. shots. I still need to make the head and hands.

At this point I was feeling pretty good about my work. Then I discovered I had missed one very important element... Depth.

This guy is just too damn skinny. The head and hands will have to wait. I'm gonna have to bulk the gentleman out, or he'll never pass the Star Fleet physical. I'll post more shots as I go. I should also have the re-based Stormtroopers up early next week. Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:32:45 PM by Michka »

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Update time. I'll start off with the re-based Stormtroopers.

And here is a shot of some old metal WOTC Star Wars figures. Hard to believe there was a time they made metal Star Wars minis.

You can see how well the two scales match.

and here is the finished  sculpt of the Star Trek crewman. This is my first 28mm sculpt, and I'm rather pleased with it.

side shot...

There are plenty of issues with my sculpting, but I think you can tell what it's supposed to be. I have a lot to learn.

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:33:30 PM by Michka »

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
Lovely paint on the old rebel soldier, very tidy!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Troopers and rebels look cool.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Formerly known as Michka's current Sci-Fi projects

Thank you randycarter and Commander Viper. I'm glad you like the Star Wars stuff. The older figures are really nice sculpts.

I'm abandoning the all inclusive thread idea. I'm really focused on the Star Wars stuff right now, so this is turning into a purely Star Wars thread. When I get around to painting the Star Trek dude I'll start another thread for that subject.

So I might as well do an update now. First up, the Probe Droids form Imperial Assault.

The original figures were mounted to the bases on their lowest hanging legs. Since I was re-basing the things anyway I figured flight bases would look better, and be stronger in the long run. Next up, Imperial Guards, also from Imperial Assault.

And finally, another WOTC metal figure, a Cerean Jedi.

I replaced the lightsabre blade with a piece of brass rod. Even in lead the blades get bent up too easily. I took another shot for scale. Here's the Cerean Jedi vs a Stormtrooper and a Probe Droid.

Please let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:34:11 PM by Michka »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Great stuff, The Jedi looks really good, especially the lightsabre. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
You have my attention! :-* :-* :-* Especially now you've change the title lol

The IA guys look good, big stormies fit well "aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?" ;)

Cheers
Matt.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box

Wow, the painting here is just great Michka.  They are all very nice, but knowing how tricky it can be to get basic Stormtroopers painted nicely, they take the honours for me so far.

Loads of lovely stuff though.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Thank You Malamute. The Cerean Jedi is a favorite figure of mine, although I think I need to fix those damn eyes.

Thank You Constable Bertrand. The title was causing me some grief. I mean, how can a thread with Star Wars stuff be a miss right now? I hadn't noticed that the Stormtroopers were that big before. Like you said, it works.

Thank You Cheetor. I've painted lots and lots of Stormtroopers in my day, but these were actually the easiest ones. I found a cool YouTube video series about painting all the figures in the Imperial Assault box set called Sorastro's Painting. I'm not doing these exactly like he says, but a couple tricks have come in real handy. 

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Great stuff, The Jedi looks really good, especially the lightsabre. :)

Second that  :)

How did you do th lightsaber?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Thank You Jimbibbly. I cut a piece of brass rod to something close to the original's length plus a couple millimeters. Then rounded the end of the rod with a piece of sandpaper. Drilled out the saber handle with a pin vise and glued it in place. The light effect was super simple. It's Citadel Scorpion Green with a light white line on one edge. That's it. 

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
awesome paintings!!!! really good work!!! keep posting and feedin the SW Hype!!!! ;)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Thank You huesped. The Star Wars hype helped me get started painting these Imperial Assault minis. And I needed all the inspiration I could get.

I'll start off with a pair of E-Web Heavy Repeating Blasters, manned by Imperial Engineers. (Looks an awful lot like a Scout Trooper to me, but that's what the game says they are.)

Next up are three Imperial Officers. From what I've seen online, the officer is very important in the skirmish game.

And finally, another WOTC metal figure, the Human Male Fringer. Yet another miniature that I decided needed a white stripe in his hair.

I think I'm about halfway through the Imperial Assault box set right now. Eventually I will be able to open the character packs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:34:51 PM by Michka »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Michka's Star Wars project (E-Webs, Officers and a Fringer 5/5/15)
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
Very good  :)

cheers

James

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: Michka's Star Wars project (E-Webs, Officers and a Fringer 5/5/15)
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
Love the 'scouts' and the dashing rogue "silver stripe".

:-* :-*

Cheers
Matt.