Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:48:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's Star Trek project (Painted first 28mm sculpt 5/5/15)  (Read 12658 times)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
This is just the beginning of a 28mm Star Trek project. I actually have quite a few more of these guys but they aren't ready to show yet. I was using an older basing method that I no longer like. The ones in the front are from Matakishi's original Starship Crew set. The ones in the back are from the classic Star Trek Monopoly set that came out years ago. I hope to have some more to show in the near future.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:41:24 PM by Michka »

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Re: Michka's Star Trek project
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
Nice.

Offline TheShadow

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
ahh have you seen this from wizkids http://wizkidsgames.com/startrek/star-trek-expeditions/

its the newer version with crew models, maybe a little pricey but they also have expansions with extra crew available
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
Very Nice

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »
A good job: the Matakishi ones are particularly well-assembled, with no trace of joint for the separate arms that often made them look a little off .  Hadn't seen the Monopoly ones before.  Any chance of a separate photo of them?
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:59:58 AM »
Those photos are terrible. I was way too sleepy this morning to be taking pictures. Here are some I just took at my dinner table. Now including Klingons.

First off, the Matakishi's.

Then the Monopoly one. I forgot to add the Spock conversion. I replaced his Vulcan hand gesture with a phaser from the Matakishi set.

And finally, Klingons. These are a combination of Victory Force Spacefarers and Mega Miniatures Bridge Crew. The short guy middle front is the Mega Miniature.

Still not the best pictures, but at least you can see the guys in the back.

Offline Mac Finn

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
Michka

Simply amazing. I have a number of these in storage and this may bump them up on the painting queue...

I like the Klingons too, great idea using Victory's.

Keep them coming!
Mac
Remain Vigilant
Terry Mac

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »
I especially like the bases - looks like "studio floor concrete painted to look like an alien planet" lol
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

Fantastic!

Dredd and Star Trek, we have similar lead mountains it appears :)

Good work on the Megamini bridge crew.  I would never have thought of using those as the TOS Klingons.  I like my Klingons with bumpier foreheads, but those guys are instantly recognisable.

I am looking forward to seeing more of this project, keep it up!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
Kudos for the bases too. Nice, elegant, and revealant !

The figures are nice too. Very original choice to represent the klingons in star trek classic shape.

By the way, I'm pretty sure some indie miniatures casters are selling nice "compatible" star trek metal figures. I cannot remember the brand for now.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »
By the way, I'm pretty sure some indie miniatures casters are selling nice "compatible" star trek metal figures. I cannot remember the brand for now.

The Gary Mitchell, Space Vixens From Mars range I suspect.

Click the link and use the menu on the left: "Figures"->"Rim Alien Range".

Edited to fix link
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:08:05 PM by cheetor »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
The link doesn't seem to work. I found another company :

http://www.victoryforce.com/Victorypfigspacefarers.html

but I'm pretty sure it's not the one I remember (or cannot remember to be more specific). I especially remember women officers wearing mini skirt (call me geek  lol )
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:00:41 PM by sundayhero »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
The link doesn't seem to work

Sorry.  I have fixed it.

Offline trynda1701

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »
Wonderful paintjobs! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Do you have a list of colors used? The Command 'gold' is realy good. Plus, how did you paint those Victory Force/Mega Miniatures "Klingons"?

EDIT:

Plus, did you modify the standard Victory Force crew, adding goatees, or the AU versions of the figures for the Klingons?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:46:01 AM by trynda1701 »
All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by...

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 04:13:06 AM »

Do you have a list of colors used? The Command 'gold' is realy good. Plus, how did you paint those Victory Force/Mega Miniatures "Klingons"?

For the Command Gold uniforms I used Reaper Faded Khaki with a Mustard Yellow dry-brushed over it. The odd thing about the "command gold" uniforms is they were actually Avocado Green. They just look gold through those old cameras. I was going to say in the studio, but we've seen episodes shot in the sunlight, and they still look gold. For the Red Shirts I used Reaper Blood Red with GW Blood Red dry-brushed over it. (See how important it is to say which company made the paint.) As for the Klingons, I alternated Reaper Bright Gold with Reaper Beaten Cooper, and separated the colors with thin lines of black. It's not the most accurate representation of the classic Klingon uniform, but it's instantly recognizable. For the trousers (I was going to say 'pants' but I remembered how many Brits there are on this forum and thought better of it) I used black with a light GW Tin Bits dry-brush. The metallic trousers work much better then I ever expected it would. I didn't do any major conversions on the Klingons other then to smooth out a couple of details in the tunics and modified the one rifle. It looked too much like a Next Generation Phaser Rifle, so I tweaked it with some bits of plastic and a couple brass rods. The goatees are just painted on. I believe these were the non-AU versions of the Spacefarers.