Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Michka's Doctor Who project (Robots and other goodies added 5/2/13)  (Read 5471 times)

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
Re: Michka's Doctor Who project (more pictures)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
Aww, Alpha Centauri is so cute!  That story had its share of silliness but really, it was very good on multiple levels (my favorite being "good" Ice Warriors).  Speaking of Ice Warriors, yours are nice though I would have gone for more contrast on their carapaces.  That Fendahleen is also great, you don't see those too often.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
Aww, Alpha Centauri is so cute!  That story had its share of silliness but really, it was very good on multiple levels (my favorite being "good" Ice Warriors).  Speaking of Ice Warriors, yours are nice though I would have gone for more contrast on their carapaces.  That Fendahleen is also great, you don't see those too often.

Thank you for the compliment. I have to agree with you about the Ice Warriors. To be honest I did them in a hurry. I wasn't feeling inspired by these guys at all. It's funny how much work I put into the character figures, yet just rush through the soldiers unless I'm feeling inspired. Doesn't matter how bad the sculpt is. Just matters how interesting the subject is. The Ice Warriors are actually pretty good figures for Harlequin. Sarah Jane Smith on the other hand looks horrible, yet I spent ages getting that sweater to look right. Jo Grant isn't much better. Come to think about it, are there any well done companion figures in the range?   

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
Sarah Jane Smith on the other hand looks horrible, yet I spent ages getting that sweater to look right.
I resculpted her hair and did her as her older self from "Sarah Jane Adventures", see here.  Still not great, but slightly more accurate...

Doesn't matter how bad the sculpt is. Just matters how interesting the subject is.
LOL, an essential mindset when dealing with these figs ;)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
Re: Michka's Doctor Who project (Robots and other goodies added 5/2/13)
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
This should be the last update for a while, since I don't have any more re-based Doctor Who minis sitting around waiting for their picture to be taken. We'll start out with some Dalek Troopers. I've modified the figures slightly. I cut off the silly dalek eye stalk on their helmets and drilled out the ends of their guns. I had to take off the eye stalks for two reasons. Without that distinctive element I can use these guys in other science fiction games. Also, those eye stalks just look dumb. That's saying a lot coming from a guy who loves old school Doctor Who. The guns were modified so they look a little more like weapons and less like cooking implements. Anyway, here they are...

Here is a Slyther. It's a nasty creature from Skaro that the Daleks keep as guard dogs. Only seen in The Dalek Invasion of Earth. I wish I had a few more, cause I think they're cute.

Then there's Omega and one of his Gel Guards from the Three Doctors.

Next we have a pair of Robots of Death. I love this story, but man was it a pain to paint these guys. Considering how difficult it was to paint them I should have taken a better picture.

And here are some more robots. There's a White Robot from The Mind Robber, and there's a servo Robot from The Wheel in Space. Actually these are best known to me as those weird entries in the Doctor Who Technical Manual that I never thought I'd ever see. I got the Tech manual decades before I ever got to see the episodes they were featured in, which made those stories that much more exciting.

Finally we have another companion, Harry Sullivan. Poor Harry. He didn't even get a good miniature when the time came.

I hope to have some more miniatures to post soon, but I'm not promising anything just now. We'll see what happens.