Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690840
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Catching up on my Doctor Who project (new pics added)  (Read 14506 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Catching up on my Doctor Who project (new pics added)
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »
Seems like an ages since I posted anything. Actually, seems like an age since I managed to finish painting anything, but since I have, here are some pics from of ongoing Doctor Who Project.

First up, The Tenth Doctor and Captain Jack:

Jack is a head-swapped Artizan's Captain Withnail. The Tardis is Hasslefree's Glaswegian police box (hence the difference in signage from the 'proper' Gallifreyan model).

The Sixth Doctor, Peri and Frobisher:

Frobisher is from the DW comics - for my money one of the best companions the Doctor ever had (check out the graphic novel 'Voyager' for more). The mini is a Mega Minis penguin, kindly donated to the cause by twrchtrwyth: thanks! In the comics, Frobisher is actually a shape-changer, and is drawn as quite a cartoony penguin, but it didn't look right when I started slapping the paint on, so I went naturalistic in the end.

Another comic character, Abslom Daak:

This conversion was inspired by (or shamelessly ripped from, depending on your perspective) a mini made by anevilgiraffe. Keeper sent me the chainsword - thanks to both of you. Daak is facing a horde of these pepperpots:

All (apart from Davros) plastic Microuniverse daleks.

The High Chancellor of Gallifrey (or president? I always get confused):

The statue is an old 40mm Fine Art Castings of the Inquisitor from 'Trial of a Time Lord', ona scratchbuilt cardboard plinth.

And finally, also defending their objective maker/Fine Art Castings 'statue', a horde of sea devils. Mostly BTD, but with two old Citadel figures thrown in for good measure:

Next up on the paint desk: cybermen, vervoids and a couple more comic spin-off characters! And UNIT too, if I ever get around to ordering the minis...

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:14:55 PM by oxiana »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Catching up on my Doctor Who project
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »
Yeah about time(lord)  you posted more Whovian eye candy ;) :D

Very nice as usual, I particularly like the sixth Dr. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:58:14 PM »
That chainsword looks far better than it did just sitting in my bits box :D

They're all pretty brilliant, though :D  Are you playing or planning any games with them, oxiana?

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
excellent stuff... nice horde of brassy daleks...

Frobisher is from the DW comics - for my money one of the best companions the Doctor ever had (check out the graphic novel 'Voyager' for more). The mini is a Mega Minis penguin, kindly donated to the cause by twrchtrwyth: thanks! In the comics, Frobisher is actually a shape-changer, and is drawn as quite a cartoony penguin, but it didn't look right when I started slapping the paint on, so I went naturalistic in the end.

I need to track me down a penguin dammit.....

This conversion was inspired by (or shamelessly ripped from, depending on your perspective) a mini made by anevilgiraffe. Keeper sent me the chainsword - thanks to both of you.

that's fine, because I'm nicking

Jack is a head-swapped Artizan's Captain Withnail.

:D he looks much better than I thought he could - I'd heard him touted about as a good proxy, but figured he'd need a lot of work...

The High Chancellor of Gallifrey (or president? I always get confused):
The statue is an old 40mm Fine Art Castings of the Inquisitor from 'Trial of a Time Lord', ona scratchbuilt cardboard plinth

lovely idea... that statue looks great, as does:

And finally, also defending their objective maker/Fine Art Castings 'statue', a horde of sea devils. Mostly BTD, but with two old Citadel figures thrown in for good measure

and it nice to see that the smaller Citadel ones really work with their larger cousins... rare between the ranges for my eye...

Next up on the paint desk: cybermen, vervoids and a couple more comic spin-off characters! And UNIT too, if I ever get around to ordering the minis...

ok... so is the race on for Shade and Kroton? I need something new and Who for my next bit of work... for UNIT you only need the Brig really from BDT, the MoFo Falklands War Brits are much nicer figures...

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »
Impressive collection.
I do have a question , what colour are the modern Daleks,are they gold or bronze?

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
Nice collection - I particularly like the Sea Devils, both because I remeber watching them and because of their obvious Cthullu characteristics. Was it John Pertwee against the Sea Devils?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
Nice collection - I particularly like the Sea Devils, both because I remeber watching them and because of their obvious Cthullu characteristics. Was it John Pertwee against the Sea Devils?

yes it was Pertwee, lets hope the sea devils turn up again .

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »

yes it was Pertwee, lets hope the sea devils turn up again .

and Davison for the armoured ones... doubtful they'll be back - the Moff has said he's cutting back on old monsters, expect to see the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans back again as they have the costumes now...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
Lovely stuff. Very impressive painting, especially the 10th Doctor and Davros. Great skin tones and leather on Davros.

I like your idea for converting a Capt Jack from Capt Withnail, but at the risk of appearing to be an *rse, I'm not sure if his head looks quite right. His face is a little bit too round for me - John Barrowman is quite "spare", but even so, he's still the best Capt Jack conversion I've seen to date.

I've had to resort to using the plastic "Micro Universe" version, so I certainly can't criticize!  :-[

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:01 AM »
I also did the Withnail conversion but left the head and bottle as is . I like the way you greenstuffed the shirt getting rid of the scarf as well . I instead greenstuffed the gaiters.
Must take a better picture.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »
Lovely! The captain Jack is especially nice, but the star of the show is Frobisher. Excellent work on one of my favourite characters.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback. To reply to some comments:

I do have a question , what colour are the modern Daleks,are they gold or bronze?

A sort of mix. Mine are painted with a 50/50 mix of brass and gold, given a wash of black, highlighted in gold, and then highlighted again in a 50/50 mix of gold and silver.

I like your idea for converting a Capt Jack from Capt Withnail, but at the risk of appearing to be an *rse, I'm not sure if his head looks quite right. His face is a little bit too round for me - John Barrowman is quite "spare", but even so, he's still the best Capt Jack conversion I've seen to date.

That's fair comment! Actually, I think the problem is that the head is just a shade too big for the body. Which is odd, because the head was from another Artizan mini (a KKBB security guard).

I also did the Withnail conversion but left the head and bottle as is . I like the way you greenstuffed the shirt getting rid of the scarf as well . I instead greenstuffed the gaiters.

That's a good idea greenstuffing the gaiters. One problem with this mini is that the ankles/boots are sculpted quite thinly, so there were a couple of times when I was doing the heavy work on the head, and removing the bottle that the mini twisted enough I was worried about snapping.

the Moff has said he's cutting back on old monsters, expect to see the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans back again as they have the costumes now...

That's a good thing in my book, I'd actually quite like to see a series that doesn't end with the Daleks in the finale for a change! There were actually rumours going around for a while that the Beeb had done conceptual sketches for a return of the Sea Devils, but I don't know how true that was or whether it was just internet chatter.

ok... so is the race on for Shade and Kroton? I need something new and Who for my next bit of work... for UNIT you only need the Brig really from BDT, the MoFo Falklands War Brits are much nicer figures...

Yeah, Kroton is a bit of no-brainer, although it does mean having to brave an order with BTD... I have three others on the conceptual work bench: Izzy, Maxwell Edison and Majenta.

Izzy will be Sadie from Hasslefree, stripped of her weapons:

Max will be Phillipe from Artizan's Thrilling Tales range:

Again, I'll lose the weapon replace and have him carrying his knapsack or something.

Majenta I'm not exactly sure of yet, but it should forward job on a female mini, possibly with a female elf headswap or something.

For UNIT, I have the Brigadier figure already based up and waiting to be primed, he just needs some troops. At the risk of being a heretic, I was pondering going 'new' UNIT with these Copplestone Future Wars troopers with berets:

I like the officers for the latter, who could quickly be given berets. I haven't decided yet though, and there's plenty of other eye candy out there as well. Must get one of those Black Cat photographers too, some spaceship crew, start on some scenery...

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »
Oh, two other comics characters I forgot: Abslom Daak's companions Harma the Ice Warrior and Salandar the Draconian. Should be straight-up paint jobs, although I don't much like the BTD Draconian mini (those furry legs!), so might think about chopping and changing that one.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »
I think Copplestone might be a bit big next to BTD...

Izzy will be Sadie from Hasslefree, stripped of her weapons:

was thinking of that route myself... I've the right cyberman for Kroton, it's just cobbling together a dynamic pose and getting rid of the gun...

painted my Harma yesterday, reckon I'm going to start on my Draconians this week, which will include my Prince Salandar...

still need a Vol Mercurius though...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »
Top class, this stuff's great!  8)