Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690852
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Catching up on my Doctor Who project (new pics added)  (Read 14507 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Re: Catching up on my Doctor Who project (new pics added)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
I think Copplestone might be a bit big next to BTD...

Thanks for that. I'll have a think about it - the BTD minis are quite a mixed bag in terms of size themselves, but for the monsters I don't think it should be too much of an issue (I hope), and I'll be mixing in other manufacturers as well. The only Copplestone minis I have are from the High Adventure range. Is there much difference between those an the Future Wars troops? Or is it just the general 'chunkiness' of the Copplestone minis? Hmm, we'll see.

painted my Harma yesterday, reckon I'm going to start on my Draconians this week, which will include my Prince Salandar...

Pics please - then I can steal those ideas too! What's the basis of the Salander conversion? It's great. I was thinking of just using the standard BTD Draconian and adding full length robes. Quick and easy... Hadn't thought of Vol to be honest. Bit of a boring character. But I was thinking of pairing Abslom up with Ace (I just saw Remembrance of the Daleks recently for the first time since, well, whenever it was was originally shown). Ace and Abslom - those two could really take down some daleks!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:32:11 PM by oxiana »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: Catching up on my Doctor Who project
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
painted my Harma yesterday, reckon I'm going to start on my Draconians this week, which will include my Prince Salandar...

Pics please - then I can steal those ideas too! What's the basis of the Salander conversion? It's great. I was thinking of just using the standard BTD Draconian and adding full length robes.

exactly what I did... it's the one with his gun down by his side (may only be available in the group pack), replaced the gun with a samurai sword I had kicking about... did try and do the upwards pointy shoulder pads, but it didn't look right so sticking with the rounded ones...

I need to play catch up with my Doctors and companions....

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »

Pics please - then I can steal those ideas too! What's the basis of the Salander conversion? It's great. I was thinking of just using the standard BTD Draconian and adding full length robes.

exactly what I did... it's the one with his gun down by his side (may only be available in the group pack), replaced the gun with a samurai sword I had kicking about... did try and do the upwards pointy shoulder pads, but it didn't look right so sticking with the rounded ones...

Ah yes, I see - that's a boxed set only mini. Nice job though, can't wait to see it finished.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »
OK, here's another batch.

Some Cybermen. Earthshock was the first cyberman story I ever saw 'live', so I've always had a soft spot for this design:

A couple of Silurians, also of the Peter Davison vintage - bit more hefty than the ones that Jon Pertwee faced. These will no doubt want to team up with the Sea Devils posted earlier:

Two robots:

The green one is from Robots of Death. The red is the android from The Visitation, although I've played around with the colour scheme a little. I much prefer this type of 'bright and gleaming' sci-fi robot style than the 'grit and rivets' stuff you so often see.

Finally, an outbreak of Vervoids:

I don't know why, but I have soft spot for these most ludicrous and obscure Who monsters. The Vervoids appeared with Colin Baker in the Trial of a Time Lord. Like some of the best Who monsters, they're a bit rubbish really - not at all scary, and so obviously men in rubber suits. But they're lots of fun, and nice and bright to paint. They'll also go a treat with my Pulp Figures mad scientist with a mutant venus fly trap in a flower pot.

Next up: well, a break really - my brush is exhausted from this recent flurry of activity! The Seventh and Eighth Doctors are primed and ready, and waiting on conversions/orders for the comic spin-off characters. UNIT are in the post, somewhere. More later, but right now I hear the Cloister Bell chiming...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:31:48 PM by oxiana »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »
your silver on the cybermen has come up quite well... what did you use?

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »

Thanks - especially as they must have been the easiest and laziest figures to paint. Absolutely no magic here - a base coat of silver, washed with black (very thin, but applied very liberally), and then highlighted with the same silver again. I guess that's a bit different to using the base colour as a mid-tone, but it keep the metallic shine nice and bright.

The only thing that's a bit frustrating is that the cyberleader sculpt is significantly smaller than the cybermen he's meant to be bossing around. Given his slightly over-excited pose, I've concluded that he's actually a cyber-teenager, and is throwing his arms up because the Doctor has thwarted him again and "it's, like SO unfair!" 

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 08:29:12 AM »
Splendid stuff. I particularly like the Earthshock Cybermen, they are my favourite version. I am not so keen on thier latest look.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »

Thanks - especially as they must have been the easiest and laziest figures to paint. Absolutely no magic here - a base coat of silver, washed with black (very thin, but applied very liberally), and then highlighted with the same silver again. I guess that's a bit different to using the base colour as a mid-tone, but it keep the metallic shine nice and bright. 

thought so... it's come up very clean...

Splendid stuff. I particularly like the Earthshock Cybermen, they are my favourite version. I am not so keen on thier latest look.

indeed, I also like the Invasion ones and always had a soft spot for the Silver Nemesis ones as well (the Earthshock heads with silver flight suits and cricket gloves...)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »

indeed, I also like the Invasion ones and always had a soft spot for the Silver Nemesis ones as well (the Earthshock heads with silver flight suits and cricket gloves...)

There's a bit of an imbalance with the figures, in that there are four of the "Wait 'til I get my hands on you, you pesky Time Lord!" fist-shaker, and two of the down to business guns blazing cybermen. This is due to BTDs inability to read an order form and ship accordingly. I just sent another surplus fist-shaker back to them, but since the squad looks fairly strong anyway, asked for an Invasion cyberman - that I can then convert for a Kroton figure.

Incidentally, I just got a sample order from EM-4 this morning with a couple of Future Wars troopers with berets. I think these are Mark Copplestone's original sculpts, before he struck out on his own? Anyway, I'm going to try them out for modern UNIT - black and red - and see how they look to see if I want to go down that road. Size-wise though, they seem to fit nicely alongside the rest of my Who stuff.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 02:18:25 AM »
Have you looked at the Foundry Street Violence Mercenaries ? I was thinking of using them as an alternative UNIT.

EDIT sorry , I just looked at my packet and realise that there are only five figures in it . I might try and convert some of the Backstreet Militia to add to the group . Also a Hasslefree figure that I've seen converted with a Beret on this Forum would fit in.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:25:51 AM by Dan »

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 03:01:37 AM »
Love the Verviods. Love them all actually. Green with envy. :)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:55 AM »
Also a Hasslefree figure that I've seen converted with a Beret on this Forum would fit in.

:D

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 01:58:30 AM »
Yep thats the figure , sorry I forgot who had painted it . ::) She should be the right size and dressed to fit in with the Foundry figures.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »
I think Copplestone might be a bit big next to BTD...

Thanks for that. I'll have a think about it - the BTD minis are quite a mixed bag in terms of size themselves, but for the monsters I don't think it should be too much of an issue (I hope), and I'll be mixing in other manufacturers as well. The only Copplestone minis I have are from the High Adventure range. Is there much difference between those an the Future Wars troops? Or is it just the general 'chunkiness' of the Copplestone minis? Hmm, we'll see.

Pics please - then I can steal those ideas too! What's the basis of the Salander conversion? It's great. I was thinking of just using the standard BTD Draconian and adding full length robes. Quick and easy... Hadn't thought of Vol to be honest. Bit of a boring character. But I was thinking of pairing Abslom up with Ace (I just saw Remembrance of the Daleks recently for the first time since, well, whenever it was was originally shown). Ace and Abslom - those two could really take down some daleks!

Late to the party but for 'new' unit I'd go for Doug's old Grenadier range of future wars stuff at EM4 Miniatures:

Bargains at ?1.25 a pop too! Look far better painted up well, wish dough would update his pics.

Oh and just for accuracy, the Tardis you got from Hasslefree is made by Ian at Fenris Games, lovely casting I have one, credit where creidt's due! :D

The Commander

Nice project though
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.