Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:56:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Introducing the good Doctor... (final pics added!)  (Read 10674 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Introducing the good Doctor... (final pics added!)
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
As if i didn't have enough things to distract me from my current Three Musketeers project, things here at Oxiana Towers have taken on a distinctly Doctor Who-flavoured tint of late. None of your swivel-eyed David Tennant stuff either (though I'm a fan of that too), but real old-school Who.

Here's the first offering - I'll post some more in the coming days. Like my Eureka musketeers, the Second Doctor here is in 40mm. He's a Fine Art Castings mini from the mid 1980s.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:37:14 PM by oxiana »

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Re: Introducing the good Doctor...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:22 PM »
Very nice, excellent details :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:46:49 PM »
Very nice - You have got to love that Patrick Troughton pudding bowl haircut. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »
Love it.  Oh, the memories  :)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 03:51:37 PM »
Wonderful!!! Makes me want for a bag of prawn flavored crisps and one of those sherbert things...the one that looks like some sort of IED...anyways, perfect paintjob and killer model to boot.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
Thanks everyone - you can have the Peter Davison Doctor tomorrow as a treat. I'm out of sherbet dabs though, sorry!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »
Lovely work! He looks like he's about to spring off the page.  :-*

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:35:06 AM »
Wow thats a spot on job looks just like him.  Any 40mm billie pipers?
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »
Here are some more pictures for you.

As promised, today's Doctor is number Five. Peter Davison is never particularly celebrated as one of the great Doctors, but I have a soft spot for him as I can remember my entire family around the television for the much-trailed regeneration, as we all wondered who Tom Baker was going to turn into. Happy days.

I discovered too late the trick to painting pinstripes with this model: do them first! Then you won't basically finish the mini, then realise you still have to do the stripes and then worry that every wobbly line is going to ruin the figure!

I also finished at the same time one of the Fifth Doctor's companions, the ever so slightly shifty Turlough:

And finally, I guess this mini should need no introduction, except to say that rather than being an old 1980s Fine Art Castings model it is in fact a perfectly scaled keyring from British high street stalwart Marks & Spencer...

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
Oops, forgot this:

Any 40mm billie pipers?

Monolith/Graven Images do two 'Travelling Do-gooders" in 40mm, which are actually the Ninth Doctor and Rose (www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/dystopia.htm). They're on my list to buy - they also do a bunch of spooky alien gasmask kids asking 'Are you my mummy?' from the Empty Child/Doctor Dances story.

Anyway, if I get back to the paint pots, you can have another mini tomorrow...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:39:57 PM by oxiana »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:31:51 PM »
I've always been a Peter Davidson fan. It's probably got a bit to do with the cricket connection, but to me he's second only to Tom Baker in the "classic" Doctors league table. You've done him proud with your painting  :D

I always thought it was a shame that Mr Ecclestone left so early, but that Tennant chappie was inspired casting and he's currently number one, IMO   ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 08:39:17 AM »
I've always been a Peter Davidson fan. It's probably got a bit to do with the cricket connection, but to me he's second only to Tom Baker in the "classic" Doctors league table. You've done him proud with your painting  :D

I always thought it was a shame that Mr Ecclestone left so early, but that Tennant chappie was inspired casting and he's currently number one, IMO   ;)

My favourite is always going to be Jon Pertwee, but you are right Tennant has done a fine job, its a shame Ecclestone turned it in after just one series as he was good too.

Great painting on the Davidson figure. You have the colour scheme spot on. Do you have a Pertwee figure too. ;) :)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 09:15:41 AM »

My favourite is always going to be Jon Pertwee, but you are right Tennant has done a fine job, its a shame Ecclestone turned it in after just one series as he was good too.

Great painting on the Davidson figure. You have the colour scheme spot on. Do you have a Pertwee figure too. ;) :)

You can tell we are the same age Mal, for me the beginning was Jon Pertwee and he is my favorite Doctor, Tom Baker was my second he was in it for so long and some of my favorite episodes are his. I liked Peter Davidson but then they started messing about with the schedules and Cornation Street kept winning out cos the bill payer liked it.

Now its been rejuvenated I just love David Tennant he is great.

Oxiana - your painting is well good. Stripes scare the hell out of me but you have done really well.

Dodge

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 10:46:15 AM »
Thanks all. We're our own worst critics, so I look at those pinstripes and can see all the bits I got wrong, so it's very heartening to hear get such kind comments.

John Pertwee was cool, no mistaking. Always reversing the polarity of the neutron flow... I missed out on him the first time around, but I was such a fan as a kid I went on our local Cubs' outing to the theatre in London to see him play Worzel Gummidge on the stage, just so I could say I'd seen the Doctor. Now, there's an admission!

I'll see what I can do about a Pertwee mini , but in the meantime, here's his greatest nemesis. Roger Delgado was the definitive Master in my book:

That's your lot for now. In true Doctor Who cliff-hanger ending fashion, I'll leave you the promise of what's up next week: a certain Brigadier and the start of a some proper monsters...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »
Thanks all. We're our own worst critics, so I look at those pinstripes and can see all the bits I got wrong, so it's very heartening to hear get such kind comments.

John Pertwee was cool, no mistaking. Always reversing the polarity of the neutron flow... I missed out on him the first time around, but I was such a fan as a kid I went on our local Cubs' outing to the theatre in London to see him play Worzel Gummidge on the stage, just so I could say I'd seen the Doctor. Now, there's an admission!

"Cup of tea and a slice of cake. And the same for my Aunt Sally!"

You're not alone  lol