Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ancient Israel warriors in 15mm (or there about)  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Ancient Israel warriors in 15mm (or there about)
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »
Someone suggested Caesar Miniatures for "close enough" Hebrew Warriors but I saw they were discontinued when I searched the internet.

So, who makes 15mm or there about in Metal or (shudder) plastic that might allow me to build a warband or army for ancient Israel?
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
Re: Ancient Israel warriors in 15mm (or there about)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »
You might want to have a look for early/late Hebrew DBA packs depending on the number of model that you want. Also if nothing else that may give you an indicator of other manufactures. Essex, Old glory etc. come to mind.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
Buy Cutting Edge via Warlord Games! Slim, realistic proportions on a 28mm mini, and an amazing selection for Biblicals. I love them! And the scale should make you happy as well. Try em, you'll see!

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Canaanite figures or apiru, might be suitable. I'm happy to use figures in kilts or short tunics, long-haired or with a cloth headdress, armed with spears, slings or bows. Cloth armour would be ok, I think, like the horizontal torso wrapping used by some of the Sea Peoples, although their kilts and some of the headdresses are too distinctive - turban types ok if you doctor the kilts. I think there wouldn't be too much in the way of helmets, swords or metal armour, save perhaps bodyguard units. Not all would have shields to my mind, but I use a mix of round and rectangular wicker shields for some.
Chariot used to have a pack with suitable figures but I can't find it on the Magister Militum site. Gladiator, now available from Black Hat, have some canaanites that would do the job but they are a bit stocky in style. Look at other armies for kilted unarmoured javelin types. Falcon UK figures were a bit small, but they had one or  two figures that I liked, but I don't know if they are available now. Lancashire Games did some, but that particular range was a bit crude and too big. A shame, because I loved their dervish range and if the biblicals had been done in the same way I'd have used loads of them.
Babylonian spearmen in tunics with headbands, provided the shield is removed or swapped, would do the job for me, and unarmoured elamite spearmen could add to the mix. Doing this from memory, and there will be others that might argue with some of this.

Al 

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
Buy Cutting Edge via Warlord Games! Slim, realistic proportions on a 28mm mini, and an amazing selection for Biblicals. I love them! And the scale should make you happy as well. Try em, you'll see!

Thank you but I don't buy 25mm+ figures any more.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
Thank you but I don't buy 25mm+ figures any more.

These will make you change your mind.  o_o o_o

;) I promise!

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:08 AM »
These will make you change your mind.  o_o o_o

;) I promise!

Never again.

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »
Might have made an incorrect assumption - I assumed biblical period for my suggestions. Maccabeans are classical. My suggestions would be inappropriate for the classical period.

Al

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
One of the game stores in my area appears to have the Hebrew warriors in stock.

http://www.hobbybunker.com/products/ancient-hebrew-army-42-figures-in-12-poses-13576
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 12:36:12 AM »
Early or Late Hebrew, no Maccabean, army.

Like their opponents too.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »
One of the game stores in my area appears to have the Hebrew warriors in stock.

http://www.hobbybunker.com/products/ancient-hebrew-army-42-figures-in-12-poses-13576

Great lead!  Thanks!

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
In 15mm Magister Militum do a Biblical Early Hebrew and Late Hebrew range:
https://www.magistermilitum.com/scale/15-mm.html

However, I suspect that the Xyston Maccabean Jewish range will scratch your itch:
http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Xyston

This comes with different packs of infantry each differently armed and with multiple poses. Armoured and unarmoured infantry are available and then you have the Judah Maccabee pack, the leaders/standards and especially the Rabbis.  I've been tempted by these for quite a while.

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »
Bear in mind the Maccabean swordsmen have classical greek swords. Early Hebrew would probably not have many swords, but if they did they would probably be like long daggers or nau type in appearance, and I guess they would use sickle swords if their opponents were using them. Very early straight swords suffered from a weakness in the tang which probably meant they were used to stab rather than slash, while the nau type that I think may have arrived in quantity with the sea peoples resolved that problem.
Haven't checked my references, so others might correct me. I am happy to do some looking up if you have specific questions.
You mentioned enemies - Egyptians, Canaanites/Syrians, philistines, other tribespeople, Assyrians and Babylonians at various times. The ex-chariot ranges at magister militum should cover most of these, but I have a fair mixture in my biblical collection. Started collecting them over 20 years ago when we put on games at SELWG and Salute - when I started there were not that many so had to do a bit of converting to get the variety. Probably have close to a couple of thousand infantry painted nowadays, and if someone brought out a new range, I'd probably get some. It's like an addiction. Khurasan have brought out some Kaskans/Gasgans and if I find them on this side of the pond I'll probably indulge. I will now go and have a lie down in a darkened room!

Al

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
MediumAl,

Thanks for more info.

Maccabean period too late for me.  Like the spears, slings, clubs type armies.