Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691056
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Savannah knights  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Christopher

• Bookworm
Savannah knights
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
The latest North Star enews has got an item on some Savannah knights by Mark Copplestone to tie in with Dark Continent.  Does anyone know anything more about them?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Savannah knights
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
Where does it say they're by Mark Copplestone? They don't look like quite his usual style.  ???

When you say "Does anybody know anything more about them?", do you mean about the figures, or what they represent? The figures seem to belong to Kevin Dallimore, and he's releasing them into the wild for a very limited period (the DITDC "Nickstarter").

As for the troops themselves, it would appear that the Sultanate of Sokoto fielded such troops in their resistance to being absorbed into British Nigeria, if you're looking for a war to justify their purchase. Though you'd need a bunch more light cavalry to go with them. Perhaps Mahdist cavalry could serve, if you scratch built some of the distinctive shields of the region, and didn't look at them too closely without squinting. :)

Those guys are still around, by the way. Some discreet googling can come up with contemporary photos of them doing their thing at their local gymkhana. Wonderfully colourful fellows, and rather fearsome fighters by all accounts. Just a pity for them they were up against Maxims and 75mm field guns.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:18:52 PM »
Read that the Savannah Knights will still be available after the Nickstarter but they will be more expensive. Think all the information you could possibly need can be found in the Savannah Knights book by Wargames Foundry but think Nick has also posted information on the DITDC Facebook page.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »
By the way, Irregular miniatures already do a figure of one of these fellows, plus the light cavalry type, too. Won't know how they match up with these size-wise until I get my grubby mitts on some of these new ones (I have ordered some, a few weeks ago). It's also rather annoying that I have a bunch of those Irregular Minis fellows, but I can't for the life of me remember where I put them.

Grrr!  >:(

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »
By the way, Irregular miniatures already do a figure of one of these fellows, plus the light cavalry type, too. Won't know how they match up with these size-wise until I get my grubby mitts on some of these new ones (I have ordered some, a few weeks ago). It's also rather annoying that I have a bunch of those Irregular Minis fellows, but I can't for the life of me remember where I put them.

Grrr!  >:(

Saw those being mentionned online but couldn't find them on the Irregular website, they were recommended on the DITDC Facebook page so would think they would match the Savannah Knights as those don't seem to be very large, looking at the pictures.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
Saw those being mentionned online but couldn't find them on the Irregular website...

You need to click at the very bottom of the page where it lists a bunch of scales. Click 28mm, and then try and find "Colonial" on the sidebar. Then scroll down until you see them. Here's what they look like, to save you the bother (that site is a bit of a pig to navigate):

(Wish I could remember where I put my box of these!)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
Thanks  looking quite nice!

Offline Christopher

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 04:00:45 PM »
Ok. So when I said Mark copplestone I meant Kevin dallimore. Anyway, thanks for all the pointers. I've ordered a few packs from North Star. I looked at the Irregular minis, but I've not been too impressed by some of their sculpts in the past. Now to work out what to do with them

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
Lurking in my storage, I have some very similar figures that I bought many years ago in Rome from the now defunct Tactica store. They are similar but not quite in the same style that is peculiar to the Irregular figures.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Christopher

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
Has anyone seen these Castaway figs either painted or in the flesh?

https://secure.iig.com.au/castawayarts/index.php?cmd=store

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 02:31:13 AM »
I received copies of the North Star last week, and already have 8 of the Irregular as well as a handful of the Castaway. 

The Irregular and the North Star are too different in 'heft' to be included in the same unit.

The Irregular and Castaway will look good together, as will the North Star and Castaway, if you convince yourself that there are a few really BEEFY horses available in the Savannah.

The Irregular Lifida-Knights are really static, but with a bunch of head-awaps they look just fine. 

I would take photos for you, but the Castawaay and Irregular are at the painters now. 

Chick

"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline grotuz

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 08:46:18 AM »
Christopher -

I have the Castaway figures.
They are nice.
I also have the Irregular ones and they match well with the Castaway.
I'm looking to sell the Castaway figures as I ordered a few too many.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
I don't see Castaway or Irregular mixing with the Northstar, which I believe are by Mark Sims.  Maybe Nick will produce a couple more of these given their popularity. It's hard to do a convincing  unit with only two poses.

Offline Christopher

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
Thanks.  Are there any other minis which will go with my soon to arrive Savannah knights?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 10:50:17 PM »
If you can find it - The African Knights: The Armies of Sokoto, Bornu and Bagirmi in the Nineteenth Century by Conrad Cairns - is useful
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis