Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bonnie and Clyde were on the TV...  (Read 5444 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Bonnie and Clyde were on the TV...
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:57:56 AM »
Timewatch.  BBC2 on Saturday.

Most of it I already knew but the documentary emphasized the two points that were the "secret" of their success.  (Success as in staying alive for as long as they did.)

Clyde always stole Ford V8 cars.  This meant that they could always outrun local law enforcement who had slower, older cars.  (And who had to give up any chase once the gang crossed the county or state line.)
Their weapon of choice was the Browning Automatic Rifle (Stolen when required from National Guard armouries.)  Which meant they could always out-gun local law enforcement who had to, apparently, buy their own weapons out of their pay.)

After the programme I realized that I haven’t seen any gangsters in 28mm armed with a BAR.  Wonder if anyone makes separate BARs in weapons packs?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Bonnie and Clyde were on the TV...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
I caught a few minutes of it and it looked very good. I knew about The use of the BAR as the weapon of choice.
It was much preferred over the likes of the Tommy gun for its ability to penetrate armour etc. I thinkt the Tommy gun which most figures seem to be armed with and is the iconic weapon of the ganagster was an invention of Hollywood?
I had heard that the Tommy gun was not that effective when firing at a car as it would not always penetrate the metal.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:04 AM »
A BAR would punch through the radiator and damage the engine block with it's 30/06 rounds.  A Thompson gun would just knock holes in the radiator and might tear the engine up.  With the BAR you could also send one bullet through the first copper in line and badly injure the one behind him.  The BAR is such a long weapon that they also would saw the barrel and stock down to make them more manageable in smaller spaces, like the interior of a car.

Ryan

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »

I’m quite sure Lon at Brigade Games won’t mind a little publicity… There’s BAR armed gangster in their Mob Wars range…

A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »

I’m quite sure Lon at Brigade Games won’t mind a little publicity… There’s BAR armed gangster in their Mob Wars range…

Those are very nic, thats the first time I've ever seen a gangster figure with a BAR. :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »

Thanks  :)  I'll take a look.  (Don't think any of their UK stockists carry the "Mob Wars."

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
Pulp Figures have a couple scattered through their Gangland Justice range, IIRC...
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
I saw the documentary as well, very interesting.

I was particularly impressed with the guy demonstrating the effectiveness of the BAR relative to a .38 special. Sawing breezeblocks in half from 20 yards away looks like all kinds of fun.  :)

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
 have you seen the Bonnie and Clyde set from Dixon that looks good.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »

I was particularly impressed with the guy demonstrating the effectiveness of the BAR relative to a .38 special. Sawing breezeblocks in half from 20 yards away looks like all kinds of fun.  :)

Unless you happen to be hiding behind the breezeblock at the time lol

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »
have you seen the Bonnie and Clyde set from Dixon that looks good.

I've seen them on the stand without realising who they were, I was looking at them for Call of Cthulhu figures, especially the casualties and down'n'outs.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »

Unless you happen to be hiding behind the breezeblock at the time lol
Remember kids, cover from view is not cover from fire!  ;)

I only caught the second half of the programme but found it interesting.
The BARs were certainly a bit of a revelation for me.  I guess the "Tommy-gun" stereotype is too widespread.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »

I was impressed by the way he put red pots of paint on top of the breeze blocks just for effect, I didn't know breeze blocks could bleed.
Don't!

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 06:44:08 AM »
1. Shooting a B.A. R. is a lot of fun, having had the oppurtunity once.
2. Clyde and several others liked the penatration of the 30/06 round, particularly in the AP version.  They cut both the barrel and the stock down.
3. Clyde prefered to his Colt 1911 pistol, in the caliber 38 super, which also was better at penatrating vehicles.
4. Another weapon I have not seen a figure with is a "Whippet".  Gangsters would us a cut-down semi-auto shotgun, i.e. Remigton model A-5, with a leather strap replacing the stock.  The strap was put on the arm before the jacket was put on.  The result was the weapon hung, under the coat and under the arm, effectively concealed.  At the needed moment, the gangster would draw his thumb along the lapel of his jacket and "Whip it out".

The three C's of combat are Cover, Concealment and Camoflage.  Those that get them mixed up become casualties.

FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »
Wonder if anyone makes separate BARs in weapons packs?

I've just noticed Cannon fodder do:
http://www.canfodmins.com/WEAPONPACKS.htm

i think BAM did but there weapon & equipment packs had gone under the new owners the last time i checked

Keith  o_o