Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Making a Viking Raid Scenario  (Read 6726 times)

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
Making a Viking Raid Scenario
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:30:38 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm currently preparing minis for a game on the 16th of December and want to use this thread to document my progress and hopefully keep me motivated. We're meeting with our Viking Age Reenactment group, so it's only fitting to play a small raiding scenario.

As core rules I'll be using Lion Rampant. I have no actual experience, but from reading the book they look easy enough to pick up as we go. I'll simplify the rules somewhat because some players are new to wargaming (that is, with miniatures ;))

The scenario is a small Frankish village under attack from two rivaling crews of Vikings. The poorly equipped and untrained villagers will have to hold until the local lord's cavalry arrives to drive the raiders off. The Vikings in the meantime will try to take as much plunder as they can, lifestock, villagers, maybe even the golden relic from the small chapel.

First of, a small picture of the layout of the village:

The two Viking crews, Danes and Norwegians, will attack from opposite sides of the table. The villagers start in the middle of the village. After a couple of rounds, the Frankish cavalry will (hopefully for the villagers) appear and join the fight. There will be four player, each will lead one of the mentioned groups.
To keep things simple and small scale, I will only use half as many modells per unit as usual wih Lion Rampant (so only 6 foot serjeants instead of 12 for example). Each one of the four factions will only consist of 12 points instead of 24.

So, how many minis do I need?

The Village
1x Foot Serjeants (Old War Veteran's Group) -> 6 Man DONE
1x Foot Yeomen (Ealdorman's Group) -> 6 Man
3x Serfs -> 18 Man (ca. 14 finished)
1x Bidowers    (Hunters) -> 3 Man DONE

Frankish Cavalry               
2x Mounted Serjeants -> 6 Man DONE
1x Foot Yeomen (Priests that will get special rules) -> 3 Man (1 finished)

Norwegians               
1x Foot MMA (Leaders Group) ->   6 Man DONE
1x Foot Serjeants    (Bondi) -> 6 Man (4 finished)
1x Bidowers    -> 3 Man

Danes                     
1x Foot MMA (Leaders Group) ->   6 Man DONE
1x Foot Serjeants   +Expert (Bondi with Daneaxes) -> 6 Man (3 finished)

Scenery and Markers
2x Longhouse - 1 finished
1x Chapel - DONE
5x Civilians - 3 finished
5x Lifestock - 3 finished
1x Relic -
2x Generic Loot Markers -

So, that's at least 26 minis to paint, a longhouse to build and paint and three markers to build and paint. The next pictures show the models that need to be painted plus a couple of extras I took out before I knew how many models I actually needed.

I will add pictures of the models I have already finished in the next couple of days, right now it's getting late.         

If you have seen my X-Com project, you might have noticed that I might not be the most, let's say, diligent person when it comes to painting miniatures and posting pictures of them in regular intervals  ;)
But since this will all be done in two weeks time, I think I'll stay motivated. Either that or I'll fail miserable and I will have to postpone the game as I've done on several occasions  ::)
So any kind of encouragement, discussion and interest is appreciated  :)

Offline Sitric Caech

• Student
Re: Making a Viking Raid Scenario
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:32:44 PM »
Looks very cool. I am right now doing kind of the same thing. I be following with interest.

Offline Carsten

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »
Looking good - I’ll follow your progress with interest

Offline frenchfever

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »
good start !  Alert PIG ATTACK  :D

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:22 PM »
Carsten and frenchfever, thank you for your kind replies :)

Sitric Caech, if you like to, I'd be very interested in reading about your project and approach to the scenario, be it the rules you use, models, etc.

I've made some small progress. All lifestock markers are done, the vikings now have cows, sheep, pigs, goats and poultry to plunder. I only just realised that the birds I painted in brown are most likely turkeys, which would be a bit of an anachronism. But they're so small that I'll get away with declaring them as some sort of oversized partridge ;)

The townfolk and unarmoured vikings also received some paint, but not much yet. I hope to get some more painting done tomorrow.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »
You are making good progress! it looks like a fun project.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »
Very interesting! Good luck to your project!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline henryv

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
Your brush work, out does mine, rather sad :)

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:09:08 PM »
Codsticker, DintheDin, henryv, thank you for the kind words. :)

I've painted the batch of miniatures from the last image. They're very simply painted, just a basecoat and a wash of Army Painter's Strong Tone. I usually highlight the models afterwards, but I want to finish everything else before I touch up these guys. I thik they look quite passable as they are.

From left to right we have a unit of bidowers, a unit of serfs+1 extra and the five companions of the veteran for the village defenders as well as three Danish bondi (who are missing their shields) and three Norwegian bondi.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:11:17 PM by Neunfinger »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »
What a cool project and lovely minis. I will be watching this with interest :D

I hope we will get to hear how the game went afterwards.

Thanks for sharing.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:19:56 AM »
Nice looking project with an interesting and eclectic selection of miniatures  :)

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:47:07 PM »
Lost Egg, I'm glad you like it. I definitly want to post a small report of the game, but I can't promise anything. There will be three small children running around during our game, so if we actually manage to play it start to finish in one go I'll consider it a huge succes :D

Captain Blood, thank you for the kind words. If I find time to take some brighter pictures I will try to show and talk a bit about the different minis and where they are from.

This evening I've made the second house for the village as well as three simple markers for loot - the barrels can be collected by looting the houses and the chest with sword is representing a relic that can be taken from the chapel.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
:D I know what you mean.

Cool house, for some reason the static grass roof is very appealing :D

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
It's a very simple way to make thatched roofs. Painted it will look somewhat like this.

Offline Utgaard

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 07:23:09 AM »
Promising project indeed and the figures are looking good even with just basecoat and wash, especially considering the short time you painted them!
Hm, grass mat as roof, this is really looking good ... something I have to consider for my next houses  ;)

May I ask you the name of your reenactment group?