Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Meknificent Seven and Friends - 2014/10/26 Meks and Mercs (p.16)  (Read 90575 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Hiya!

Finally, life in Hull settles down a bit, and I actually managed to paint some stuff over the last few days.

Waaay back in, I think it was 2004, at Essen Spiel games fair, I came across a bin with discounted comic books, where I bought five ABC Warriors books, German language edition. Well, at least it was German, technically, because it was the most atrocious comic-book translation I´ve ever read before then and thereafter. It didn´t distract from the art, which was rather nice (Khaos Chronicles and Hellbringer story arcs), and I wanted to do something like that in miniature. Back then, I was only aware of the Not-Hammerstein by Excalibur miniatures (of which I´ll probably buy a couple to do some Volgan War scenarios later on, but that´s in the future).

Some years thereafter, I noticed the Wargames Foundry ABC Warriors figures in their 2000AD range. Those I really liked, especially the big Hammerstein, but always deemed them too expensive to order to Germany.

Visiting Wargames Foundry last Friday, I took the plunge and bought a set, excluding the "small" Hammerstein, which I consider a rather mediocre pose with some proportion issues (although he seems to be more in scale with the other figs). Painted those up for a start.

Before anyone asks, yes, I plan to do Mongrol next, and Happy Shrapnel to get the original lineup, because there´s nothing in the world that beats a setting with war robots riding cloned tyrannosaurs. NOTHING.

Furthermore, I´ll add some other 2000AD figs in this thread (therefore, "and friends"), notably a bunch of old Citadel figures from the Judge Dredd universe which I got for a pittance some years back in a swap. Never got around to painting them until now. Also got a bunch of Judges lying around in Germany, so those will have to wait after christmas.

Now for the bots!

Sergeant Hammerstein:

Joe Pineapples:

Blackblood:

Deadlock:

Mek-Quake:

Morrigun:

And, finally, Ro-Jaws:

That´s it for today! More as I find the time; comments and constructive criticism welcome and to be answered in due time!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:50:42 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Meknificent Seven and Friends
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »
Spread the Word! The ABC Warriors are back!  8) 8) 8)

Grand job - especially Ro-Jaws, but then he always was my favourite.
Just curious - is there a kill-dozer version of Mek-Quake anywhere? I'm thinking of doing a conversion.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »

Nice! I used to love the ABC Warriors, so it's great to see them in miniature! Are you thinking of some sort of gaming for them, or is this purely a collecting and painting journey?

Joe looks great, but I think my favourite is Ro-Jaws - excellent green!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »
Null and void. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
Brilliant. Love the Blackblood miniature. :-*
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:30:25 PM »
Just curious - is there a kill-dozer version of Mek-Quake anywhere? I'm thinking of doing a conversion.

Unfortunately, I´ve never seen one, but I wanted to do that version from Day One, using an old GW rhino as a base. Fortunately, compared to, say, The Mess or Happy Shrapnel, Mek-Quake is made up of rather simple shapes, so doing a fullscratch build wouldn´t be that problematic, and I guess I´ll do one sometime next summer.

Quote from: Hawkeye
Are you thinking of some sort of gaming for them, or is this purely a collecting and painting journey?

I almost never buy figures just for the showcase (mainly because my painting is not good enough for that), so they are earmarked for gaming, indeed. Since, as the title implies, it´s going to be "The Meknificent Seven vs. all comers", I´m currently writing up a version of the T&T rules (including custom cards) to use them with. I´ve already got some dozen post-apocalyptic and Street Violence figures painted up, and the Robots were based to go with those.

Next up, I´ll paint some Klegg, Perps and Monkey Mobsters from the Dredd universe. When I´m settled into my lectures and tutorial work, I´ll start work on Mongrol and Happy. Then, provided I find some fitting figures (Fiasco or sometime around that), it´ll probably be some not-Volgans (got Copplestone Neosovs or Mongrel Modern Russians earmarked for those), or Martian colonists/ clone soldiers; probably the latter, if I can find some nice figures (suggestions welcome, as I´m currently considering Copplestone Troopers with some facial mods for that).

I probably won´t do the Gothic Empire/Nemesis the Warlock story arcs, frankly because I´m still freaked out as sh*t by the respective Clint Langley artwork after all these years. o_o lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:36:21 PM »
Wow! Lovely work Chris.

Is the background dropped in afterwards in a picture editing package, or are you actually shooting the miniatures against a graduated blue background?

(PS. Finding Hull a bit boring then?  ;))

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »

Gaming pieces - even better! Looking forward to seeing the project develop.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 12:47:32 AM »
Yeah!!! This rules!!! can't wait to see more!!!  :-* :-* :-*

BIG JOBS!!!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:02:40 AM »
Wow! Lovely work Chris.

Is the background dropped in afterwards in a picture editing package, or are you actually shooting the miniatures against a graduated blue background?

I took the photos against a plain white sheet of paper, with a desk lamp shining through another piece of paper to muffle the cast shadows. Then cut out the figures in Photoshop (ancient version, that) and placed them over the gradient layer.

(PS. Finding Hull a bit boring then?  ;))

Not necessarily so. Those young whippersnappers I´m at university with have been going out every frickin´ night for the last week(s), so apparently, there´s enough stuff to do, but I´m getting too old to do so - but then again, that may be my usual pre-birthday depression sneaking in! I plan to visit Fort Paull this weekend, and will be well busy until tomorrow afternoon with all the Uni registration stuff etc. More in the appropriate thread later on.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 08:46:48 AM »
Brilliant, now if someone could do a nice Nemesis and crew........
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »
VERY NICE STUFF

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »
Unfortunately, I´ve never seen one, but I wanted to do that version from Day One, using an old GW rhino as a base. Fortunately, compared to, say, The Mess or Happy Shrapnel, Mek-Quake is made up of rather simple shapes, so doing a fullscratch build wouldn´t be that problematic, and I guess I´ll do one sometime next summer.

That's why I asked - my decision was only slightly different as I would probably use a Chimera, open topped. My main problem is the neck...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »
That's why I asked - my decision was only slightly different as I would probably use a Chimera, open topped. My main problem is the neck...

Ah, the Chimera is much better. Don´t know why I was out for the Rhino. Probably had one lying around at the time.

I think you could actually do the neck rather easily, if a bit time-consuming. First, cut a strip of thicker plasticard to the rectangular length and width required. Then, using heat (sparingly and cautiously, I must add!) plus some dowel, shape this into the snake-ish contour. Next, add smaller strips of plasticard (maybe 3mm wide) on the flat surfaces to add the linked structure. Sand the sides flush. Finally, cut grooves into the sides to complete the link effect. I´ve used it for some ammo belts and similar stuff, and it worked out rather nicely. I could do a graphic illustration tonight, if you like.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »
Don't know much about that ABC-stuff or 2000AD-universe, Chris, but that's a nice bunch of minis you finished over there in foreign lands ...
 ;)