Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:14:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 741
Total: 745

Recent

Author Topic: *Updated* - From the Work Bench: Captain 13th Ufa  (Read 10375 times)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
Re: From the Work Bench: Captain 13th Ufa
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »
Black trousers were used in the Russian army at the outbreak of World War I. This is from the old pre-war, stocks. These stocks (black trousers) have been exhausted in the 1914-15 year. In the Civil War - a rarity.

At the last count - a stylization of Soviet uniforms sample WWII. Not to be trusted!

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »
Black trousers were used in the Russian army at the outbreak of World War I. This is from the old pre-war, stocks. These stocks (black trousers) have been exhausted in the 1914-15 year. In the Civil War - a rarity.

At the last count - a stylization of Soviet uniforms sample WWII. Not to be trusted!
Yes I knew about the black trousers. On the last picture - the colour would be about the same No?

I'm using mostly Vallejo Olive Drab, Brown Violet, Russian Uniform, and colours like that. Although I'm finding a lot of the Vallejo Panzer Aces line works well. Thanks again for the advice - it is always welcome!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:57:59 AM by sepoy1857 »
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 08:10:30 AM »

The basis for the selection of colors to paint the Russian uniform, well-fit this picture. With the exception of black pants :)

The color of the uniforms soldier Siberian (white) army (the color of uniforms of the Soviet WWII) can also be used. But he was not the predominant color of a Russian uniform at the time.
 Paint colors from a palette of Vallejo, I can not recommend - I do not have these colors and I have not had in his hands. I use acrylic paints Japanese "Tamiya"

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »
Thank You! That is good to know. This is the Mountain Shield Club from Yekaterinburg. They take part in WW1, Civil War, and I think WWII events. Many of the pictures I have saved are of WW1 events.

What is that red and blue flag on the one guy's bayonet? Company guide marker? I've seen another picture of the same guys using a blue and white one...same design.

Spaceba!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:47:41 AM by sepoy1857 »

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
A few more pics for your entertainment (?).
Krasny Kommandir

Trial coat of Vallejo Chocolate as the base coat for his dingy brown coat. Cap and trousers will both be the same dark olive. Cap has a second layer (1st Highlight).

Krasny private. Trying something new with the papkha - I'm going with the same colours I use for Russian overcoats: Leather Brown or Chocolate Brown base coat; 50/50 mix of brown and Medium Grey; Medium grey on it's own. The overall effect is supposed to be a dingy light grey-brown.

Almost done! A few more touch-ups and the final highlight on the flesh and then varnish with Humbrol Gloss varnish followed by Dullcoat.

Cap and shoulder boards up close. Notice the Tri-Colour Cockade.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:35:25 AM by sepoy1857 »

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 01:18:06 AM »
That's pretty much exactly the sort of range of colors I would expect - I can't imagine very many units were very 'uniform' in their uniform colors during the Civil War - logistics were probably an absolute disaster.  Really like how those figures came out in the original post.

I see...that makes more sense. Well these are actually brown with white added.

Here's my inspiration...

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »
What is that red and blue flag on the one guy's bayonet? Company guide marker? I've seen another picture of the same guys using a blue and white one...same design.

Yes, those are company markers.

Blue field means the second regiment of an Infantry or Guards Division. The horizontal red stripe means it is a first battalion. The vertical red stripes means it is the first company. (White stripes are for the third battalion's third company.)

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »
AzSteven: Thank You! It's truly a labour of love...

Mark: Thank You! Very interesting. Were they used much during the Civil War period? They had problems making enough uniforms so I can see them making these coloured line markers (?) unless they were using up WW1 stocks found in warehouses. Although they might look good in skirmish type games.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 05:36:18 AM »
Some company markers were definitely used. We have records of the Kornilov ones, and I have seen Russian re-enactors using others.

I have also seen a real life Red one. Quite little, but the usual Red base colour, with company name and slogans in yellow.

Cavalry squadron markers can also be seen from time to time in photos.

How common, I have no idea.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »
Thanks Mark! What are the colours/arrangement for the other companies/battalions? Thanks; this is really helpful.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:29:54 AM by Mark Plant »

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 05:46:33 AM »
Thanks again Sir! that was brilliant. I've added that to my archives.

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 04:53:17 PM »
So this is similar to the Napoleonic fannions that were carried by the various companies in a Regiment.  Interesting.  Who would carry these?  An NCO?  Was this part of the Company Headquarters that carried it?  Also would there be something similar at the platoon level or was too adhoc for such a thing to be present?

Chris
Chris Stoesen

Offline CPDV

• Lurker
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 03:11:57 AM »
Glad to see more of Kolchak's troops! I've got Maritime provence Whites im painting up. I like that you are being historically accurate with their pogony and such. I've got a company of the jaeger regiment, a bunch of the Izhevsk regiment, the Votkinsk cavalry divizon and some early war brits painted as the 3rd Volunteer regiment. I'll share them as soon as I deem them decent enough.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 03:52:11 AM »
Wow! It will be interesting to see your army  ::) :D