Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689776
  • Total Topics: 118295
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Into Darkest Berlin. An Africa pictured Battle Report  (Read 9639 times)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Into Darkest Berlin. An Africa pictured Battle Report
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »
Last saturday we played a Darkest Africa Game in Berlin. We gathered there because of a gaming weekend we made up with some Pulp and Adventure Gaming Aficionados.
The game was played between Witchhunter and Dominic representing the Germans and Grimm and me representing the British. If you knew our real origin you would smile.

The Rules are my own Ruleset called Triumph and Tragedy ( if someone knew a better title please write me ). They are not finnished yet and so this game was a good chance for testing them.

The Rules use cards for actions and ten and six sided dice. Range is measured in inches and one figure represents one man. There are Units ( maximum 10 men ) , Leaders and Heroes

Saturday afternoon about teatime Eastern Africa.

“ Well Sir. I think the natives are a bit nervous.”
“I know Barker, by Jove,  I know…” Sir Frederic Conn Smythe Fortiscue said “ Guess they can smell those German Expedition were gonna ambush soon like I can smell my Darjeeling…”

“I think its time we gather our forces. Jenkins…. Prepare the man….and someone call Abdullah this tea pot is gonna hurting my arm, by Jove “

“ Na gut… Josef….ein Glas Apfelwein wäre jetzt prächtig….”
„ I think those English Gentleman will be waiting on us behind this ridge....“
“ The Herr knows so much… but he will guide us wisely. I have faith oh Great White man.”
We will send our Askaris right down to this old forgotten ruined city over there and wait for Mittagessen….HarHarHar”

“ Do you hear this Makane…”
“ Oh yes, M`Buna ….I hope its no big Lion “
“ There is something behind those bushes….”

The two forces marched straight forward onto each other. Not much with tactics. The scouts detected no ambush and so all was fine for the British Expedition force. They opened the fire first when they saw some German Askari resting between some ruins. The British fire was heavy but casualties were low…

“ Look….over there ze Englischman is kommen”

“ Forward, my brave Askari. For the Queen. Give them lead and let them taste our steel “

What this fine English lad did not know was that he led  his men right into the fire of these well trained German Soldiers !

“ Bayonette aufpflanzen, zielen, feuern auf mein Kommando. “

At about the same time an ambush was layed on those fellas here !

The whole troop really got it bad. They had to make a regroup test. Did it and tried to attack once more but they never had enough punch after the ambush  for this job.

The British hunters laid themselves an ambush on a native combat unit. The poor native soldiers pressed into German service performed well under those devastating fire. They even tried to charge the Hunters but failed there morale test.

The British Command unit went forward to support there troops but was also taken under heavy fire. They had to regroup and than withdraw from the Germans.

As the British player I would say it was a draw. In real it was a loss for the Britts. We had much more casualties and our crack units had to pay the highest toll.

It was a good test. the rules were fast, nobody had "big questions" and we didnt argue much  :mrgreen:  I think the guys had fun too...

Darkest Berlin bleibt German until the next Duell.

The miniatures are painted by Witchhunter ( ze Krauts ) and Driscoles ( The Honorable English Expedition ). Terrain is by Battlefield Berlin and Driscoles. The ruins are from Ziterdes.

Those great pictures are all taken by the 2nd in Command of the Germans. Leutnant Dominic.

Thank you Guys. You are real Gentlemen !

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:45:57 PM »
Great pictures and a great report! Don't fret about tactics. Any game that looks that nice is just plain fun to look at!

I saved this sentence in a text file because I know one day I'll need it for my own. I'm supposed to be working on Gloire and all these beautiful pictures of the Great War in Africa are distracting me!  8)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:16:51 PM »

I guess you`ve seen enough movies to understand what the words above mean, Sir ?

If not, it would be an outstanding pleasure for me to translate.

Conn Smyth Fortiscue !

:roll:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »
My four years of high school German allow me to get the gist of the command. I'm stuck on "zielen", though.  :?

"Fortiscue" is an excellent name for an eccentric English officer, BTW.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »
Great looking game from all involved!

So when are we going to see your rules Björn? I don't do many huge games anymore (I don't paint as fast as Herr Professor) but every so often I get the urge to do something big and Darkest Africa/ Afghanistan/ and Back of Beyond are the three areas that most interest me (I guess that explains my recent purchase of 24 Foundry Pygmys).  :lol:
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:24:32 PM »
(I guess that explains my recent purchase of 24 Foundry Pygmys)

I feel sorry for whomever turns over that particular encounter marker...  :lol:

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 06:43:11 PM »

Fix Bayonets,                   aim,     fire       on my command !

Thanks Pete...Iam in love with eccentric english names LOL

At the moment Iam still stuck in this Fortescue role. Writing the report is not far away....And Iam hot for Darkest Africa right now....Iam so happy that I already have all those miniatures...you know...I have debts to pay ...

I am really into this since I saw Zulu and such films. My favourite quote is from this Islandwhana ( right spelling ) movie with Burt Lancaster. Iam sure you all know it...

" Sir dont you think we should prepare defensive positions ? "
" A red line of fire IS a defensive position "

And when I had a chance to get a copy of The Sword and The Flame the 20th aniversary Edition 1999 I was in it. They had me....The Larry Brom Rules are a real bargain. Big fun !

But I wanted something smaller cuz I like skirmishes but something bigger  than  Mr. Broms Sword in Africa Rules ( which are also great ).

Who does not have it shall go and buy those rules.

So I wrote my own rules a few years ago, but never really had the opportunaty to play ( except with myself ). For the event in Berlin I updated them and I think I improved them.

If you think they are like Mr. Broms you are wrong. They sure are a mix of 20 years of gaming experience but - Gentlemen - they are my idea....and Rich.... after I have done some changes and a bit more testing some of you guys can see them. I promise.

To your health !
To my dunkles

:wink:

P.S. Rich....24 Pygmies are the ideal starting force for my Rules.... hehe

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »
Ja, mein Herr, das ist super!!  :lol:

Thanks, Björn, great report! And it was a good game, the rules did work very well, i'm looking forward to play it again soon  :mrgreen:

Don't forget, we have to make the close combat more attractive to the players  :wink:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 06:56:02 PM »
Driscoles, if you liked Sword in Africa you should check out Chris Peers' "In Darkest Africa" rules. They have a little bit more variety for things like expeditions and native kingdoms. I have both, and favor "In Darkest Africa" just slightly more. You can get them for free off the Foundry webpage. Your rules sound neat and you'll have to share them with us at some point.

Don't forget that any English name can immediatly be converted to a crazy English Imperialist by adding "Smythe-" to it. For example: Richard Smythe-Johnson.

Back to the game--were all the miniatures by Foundry?

--Pete Murray-Smythe

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »
Pete, Chris Peers army lists are superb but the rules sometimes not :) we've got his rule set but I have to say, Driscoles rules are easier and more clear to play.

The minis are Foundry and Copplestone.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:03:12 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Don't forget that any English name can immediatly be converted to a crazy English Imperialist by adding "Smythe-" to it. For example: Richard Smythe-Johnson.

I don't need Smythe to be an Imperialist, my wife is convinced I was born under a British flag.

For Queen and country!  :mrgreen:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 07:12:27 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
Pete, Chris Peers army lists are superb but the rules sometimes not :)

Very true! I'm sure they play fine if you're in that group and you've been used to playing with the same people for years. We bodged together some house rules to fix the situations where Peers' rules didn't work.

Quote from: "Smythe-Operator5"
For Queen and country!

The sun never sets on the Hunterdon County flag?  :?:

*edited for hanging tags.

Offline dominic

• Mastermind
    • http://www.napnuts.com
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 10:43:38 PM »
Only Leutnant?  I thought I was at least a Herr Major?  :lol:

Great report!  I loved the game!  I may be hooked!  
 :love: (hmmm ... with a bearer unit, some Askaris and a few hunters, I could convert my British Sudan troops to Darkest Africa...) :D

One suggestion about the rules, I'm not sure you should give the troops being charged a chance to fire at the chargers if they have already fired this turn.  If you do that, they effectively get two shots in that turn.  This is one reason why after the first attempt failed, I decided not to charge, but to just stand and shoot.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:55:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Great looking terrain and beautiful painted miniatures  :love:

Cheers,

Barry
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 08:08:12 AM »
Hi Dom,

to me you are the Major.
I will keep your ideas for the charge and see what I can do.

For the beginning you only need just a few Miniatures.

Comand Unit, two combat units and some stuff to make it look great, like bearers, some pack mules, camels and such... And at least one individual looking Fig.

Thanks
Björn