Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:11:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Could Ospreys new Sci-Fi gang skirmish game revive many a dead Necrmunda crew ?  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Theoretically, yes. The game works around an average of 4-6 per side, but houseruling that would be a doddle. Personally, I'd include Dawg at the very least...
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
..., I'd include Dawg at the very least...

Sure thing  :D

But up to 4-6 sounds good.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Ooooo. This might be just the ticket to revitalise my old Citadel Spacefarers collection!  :D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
for example, 'mono-filament knife'

Drat, that (and the induced flashbacks to Starguard!) just caught my interest all by itself.  That kind of 'flavor enhancer' terminology can be addictive...

Now I need to actually research this set of rules rather than just passively read comments online...

o_o
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
I'm very much looking forward to this on it's own merits, but no so much for necromunda.
I've got alot of great assorted sci-fi figs that could use a good skirmish system.

For my necromunda gangs however, I've really enjoyed YakTribe's Necromunda Community Edition (NCE).  We've been having a periodic campaign using their version of necromunda and it's been very successful.  It clarifies and tweaks just about every problem folks had with Necromunda and the Underhive/Living-Rulebook editions and does so without any major changes to the mechanics. It also tweaks and balances the weapons lists, houses, scenarios, etc.  It's a close to the perfect Necromunda experience as I can imagine.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
Got a link for that eilif? 8)

Offline Finn

• Assistant
I second Earthers request for the necromunda modification link.         

Not sure why I am getting so excited by the prospect of  rogue stars as all I know about it so far is
A. It's not out yet
B. It's a bit like necromunda
C. It's nothing like necromunda

Suppose it is just a good excuse to get out/paint up my under used  sci fi stuff.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
<snip>

Suppose it is just a good excuse to get out/paint up my under used  sci fi stuff.

Sounds like a good enough reason all by itself!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Got a link for that eilif? 8)
I second Earthers request for the necromunda modification link.         

Not sure why I am getting so excited by the prospect of  rogue stars as all I know about it so far is
A. It's not out yet
B. It's a bit like necromunda
C. It's nothing like necromunda

And ye shall receive...  :D
https://yaktribe.org/community/vault/categories/rulebook-editions.3/
They've got an NCE version of Outlanders too.   The Original (from the box set) and Community (The modified Underhive book that GW put online) versions are there so it's easy to compare if you wish.  In the NCE edition anything changed is in maroon text so you can check back to se what the original versions would have said.

There's also a TON of additional Necro stuff including just about any Necro-related file that GW ever put online and alot of fan stuff.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
eilif, you sir, are a star. :D

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
I put together a short list of inspirational media for Rogue Stars, which may give an insight into the core theme of the game. There are loads more, but these are my own touchstones.

• Star Wars - Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Jabba the Hutt, Boba Fett (and Bossk, Dengar, Greedo, 4-LOM, IG-88, Zuckuss and the other bounty hunters!)
  • Firefly - Every character
  • Star Trek - The Maquis, The Obsidian Order, The Tal Shiar
  • Marvel Comics - The Guardians of the Galaxy, The Starjammers
  • DC Comics - Lobo
  • Manga - Cowboy Bebop

As for Cyberpunk. It's not the core theme, but it's entirely do-able. There are enough augmentation options to stat out a Roy Batty, and you can even get into Matrix-levels of bullet-time and whatnot with judicious application of skills and equipment. At worst, you might need to rename a skill or item of gear to be something a little more in-keeping with the desired genre - for example, 'mono-filament knife' might become 'razor nails' or something.

And, on the subject of bounty hunters, it's Dengar all the way for me...

As one of my ongoing projects is sci-fi urban gang war (not particularly cyberpunk-themed, but more of an amalgam that does include some cyberpunk but also Judge Dredd, Cowboy Bebop, Batman's Gotham and other stuff), could I hope to use Rogue Stars for gaming these? For instance, will there be "squad themes" to represent organisations like street gangs, mafias, cults, undercity scavengers, police forces, secret "government security forces" and corporate mercenaries?

If not, are there any plans for expansions that will cover themes like this? (I know, I know, early days...)

I'm not very hot and bothered about which ruleset I'll end up using, but I do kind of want to give the Osprey Games bandwagon a go. Although, I'll probably end up using Rogue Stars anyway for that aforementioned Captain Harlock-inspired space pirate project.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
eilif, you sir, are a star. :D
Happy to help!
I've become perhaps a bit over-enthusiastic about Necromunda since we started our periodic campaign recently, but I do sincerely believe that the NCE is a marked improvement and worth checking out.

The rumors are abounding that GW is going to release a new version of Necro. It's a bit of a grey area since GW did originally distribute these files widely and freely online themselves, but I'd highly recommend that folks download what they can now, just in case they decide to use a re-release as a chance to try and clamp down on folks sharing these online.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Never mind necromunda. A mix between Rogue Trader and Kill Zone, a bit of Starwars, some Dune and a spoon of 2000AD and it will basically be what I'm doing with my gangs right now.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
And if Copplestone, Simms and Owen will make new toys for that I'll be happy!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
We played SoBH last night and had a blast. Simple without being simplistic, fast moving, not too fiddly, minimal paperwork. A sci fi version would be most welcome here. Seems easy enough to spice up for specific settings. Lord knows I have a huge assortment of random SF figs suitable for a variety of sf sub-genres. 

Release it already, will ya?