Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693174
  • Total Topics: 118518
  • Online Today: 696
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trench Combat - how do rules deal with cover?  (Read 297 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Trench Combat - how do rules deal with cover?
« on: April 28, 2024, 12:28:54 PM »
Am about to build a small trench board. There’s a great thread about trench construction …

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=144761.new#new

…… but I also have questions as to the different ways (if any) trenches are handled in rules, particularly as regards shooting from and cover within.

With 28mm figures on 25mm bases I’m obviously not going to incorporate a fire step, as the trench width would be more like a dry canal. Which creates a conundrum for trench depth, shallow enough for the minis to shoot over or deep enough that they’re well hidden from bring shot at?

I realise that this is  likely to be a ‘wargamers compromise’  but I’m not the  first to run into it so what do others do?

Keeping the trench shallow seems the easiest option, especially as I dislike figures shooting when they can’t see what they’re shooting at.  But an alternative might be to make  the   trench deep enough to hide the figure and then have a loose but insertable section  of duck board that can lift the figure to an appropriate height. Though if the figures can’t be seen, then maybe blinds would need to be used for deployment? In which case, as I like simple rules generally without markers on the table, maybe I should just accept that the trench is cover from fire but not cover from sight?

Thoughts anyone?  Ta
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Trench Combat - how do rules deal with cover?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 12:57:39 PM »
Have your cake and eat it. If a figure is poking his head over the parapet then obviously he is able to be seen, albeit perhaps with some sort of spotting modifier. If the figure is stationary beneath the parapet or moving along the trench they should be invisible to anyone, save maybe troops atop the parapet itself.

To avoid markers, place the figures you want atop the firestep manning the parapet facing outwards, toward the enemy and those at the bottom of the trench facing along the line of the trench itself. No need for markers, no need to buid a fire step.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 01:04:51 PM »
To avoid markers, place the figures you want atop the firestep manning the parapet facing outwards, toward the enemy and those at the bottom of the trench facing along the line of the trench itself. No need for markers, no need to buid a fire step.

Brilliant!!! Thank you. That addresses my conundrum!!!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 01:21:44 PM »
Could you cut a slot into the side of the trench, about 5-10mm up from the bottom of the trench, then slot the figure bases into this to create the effect of a fire step, without having something take the space up in the trench?

Figure bases and trenches just don’t play well together

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 01:45:27 PM »
Figure bases and trenches just don’t play well together

Thanks and so true