Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 01:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695830
  • Total Topics: 118721
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1739314 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3225 on: July 03, 2015, 10:08:17 PM »
Yes I think the same of my wife too. She is just great, and even lets me play with toy soldiers sometimes when I am not working.  :-*

I get accused of playing with my Sylvanian Families... she's closer to the truth than she knows  :)

I best get some sleep as I might have to go in the local WarHammer GW shop or whatever its called to get a big golem figure with a free magazine stuck on it. Maybe. as suggested might make a good large construct for Frostgrave.

Oh I think a lot of us will be...  could be a statue, could be a golem but I will be tinkering with my bitz ( :o) to see if I can make a cheap Terminator Lord.

As I was typing, I've just had an email from Mantic telling me about KoW, "The Game of Fantasy Battles" and a 15% discount to celebrate "Independence from the Empire".  I assume that means the 4th of July...  Cheeky sods  :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:10:11 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3226 on: July 03, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
New Age of Sigmar category is up on GW webpage!

Look in the old factions and select any item to see the PDF link for the entire army...  

Looking over these - yup, no points values.  The are minimum sizes for units, but no maximum.  Additional equipment options are there.

LOTS of special abilities and some of this stuff is really oddly specific - the Pawleader of a skavenslave (minimum size 20) unit get +1 to hit on its attack rolls.

There are Formations and associated bonuses.

There's a LOT of stuff to digest here.  Worth a game or two at least, since we now have the rules AND army stats.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:05:49 PM by Momotaro »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3227 on: July 03, 2015, 10:55:01 PM »
Did somebody say HEX BASES?!?
LAF rumor mill sk15 confirmed!

Honestly at this point, this looks like GW want you to take your mini's, slap them on the table and just bash the ever living fuck out of each other in a glorious orgy of violence, with any warband you want.

Yeah, seems with this one, despite the fact that the rules are VERY light and i'll probably prefer frostgrave, GW have tempted me to find a use for my dark vengeance fantasy conversions:

EDIT:
Age of Sigmar webpage is now up on GW uk.

Mod Edit: Removed links to copyrighted material.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:33:17 PM by nic-e »
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3228 on: July 03, 2015, 11:19:55 PM »

Youtube clip of the starter set.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3229 on: July 03, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »
Did somebody say HEX BASES?!?
LAF rumor mill sk15 confirmed!

Honestly at this point, this looks like GW want you to take your mini's, slap them on the table and just bash the ever living fuck out of each other in a glorious orgy of violence, with any warband you want.

Yeah, seems with this one, despite the fact that the rules are VERY light and i'll probably prefer frostgrave, GW have tempted me to find a use for my dark vengeance fantasy conversions:

EDIT:
Age of Sigmar webpage is now up on GW uk.

Mod Edit: Removed links to copyrighted material.

Muhahahahhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaahah, think I will just go buy shares in the dodecahedron base manufacturer, they look like they might be on the up....

Glorious orgy of violence?

It all sounds a bit energetic if you ask me  :`

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3230 on: July 03, 2015, 11:44:03 PM »
Muhahahahhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaahah, think I will just go buy shares in the dodecahedron base manufacturer, they look like they might be on the up....

Glorious orgy of violence?

It all sounds a bit energetic if you ask me  :`

Dodechahedronal is such a clunky word, could they not have just said hex or do they want to copyright it?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3231 on: July 03, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »

Dunno, using dodecahedrons for bases would add unduly to the figure height. I would be interested in seeing mass-produced dodecagonal plastic bases, although I wonder what their advantage would be compared to a circular base.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3232 on: July 03, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »
I have to say I like that they have given all the old army lists free for this, and the rules. Still don't get the "build them as big as you want" idea with the army lists though. I reckon they couldn't be bothered balancing the old lists with the new rules.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3233 on: July 03, 2015, 11:57:50 PM »

Youtube clip of the starter set.

The names, oh god the names, "Bloodsecrator" or Lord something or other the Cryptborn, "Retributors" - em ok Sigmarine Terminators with Storm hammers..

I am really tempted to get it to use the Hammer Marines as just that, alternative skulpt space marines. Really there are Termies, and jetpack squady ones with really net jetpacks. and all close combat to.

and the Cryptborn is begging to be a Chaplain.

There, I just 40k'ed the entire box set. Well they did say "Endless War" so they got to get to year 40k eventually.

I am sure the price will help deter me from taking on yet another project  ;D

I reckon they couldn't be bothered balancing the old lists with the new rules.

Could be argued they gave that up years ago..

Still you are right its like-able that they give the rules for free. Its probably one of their limited edition things ;D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3234 on: July 04, 2015, 12:00:40 AM »
Yep names are rather pathetic and cringe-worthy.
Looked at my usual online hobby store. All WD 75 sold out! First WD I was going to buy in well over a decade.
I reckon it was one doof buying up all the stock.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3235 on: July 04, 2015, 12:02:50 AM »
Dunno, using dodecahedrons for bases would add unduly to the figure height. I would be interested in seeing mass-produced dodecagonal plastic bases, although I wonder what their advantage would be compared to a circular base.

Think of the line of site arguments you could cause....

Yep names are rather pathetic and cringe-worthy.
Looked at my usual online hobby store. All WD 75 sold out! First WD I was going to buy in well over a decade.
I reckon it was one doof buying up all the stock.

Oh so they will be on e-bay as OOP that fast?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3236 on: July 04, 2015, 12:06:01 AM »
Apparently GW sent out review copies to bloggers/stores! I think there must have been an internal coup and kirby is currently locked in a cupboard with the squat codex and plastic sisters of battle.

Oh the names.I had to stop and pause the video just to say them all outloud to myself, just to asses whether they were even pronounceable.

Also, some of the special rules on the warscrolls seem a little bit TOO goofy,even by gw standards.Either they got added in as an april fools and someone forgot to remove them,or mantic is sending it's interns in to sabotage GW releases.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:28:43 AM by nic-e »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3237 on: July 04, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
Some of the figures look rather nice - I like the flying Sigmarites and the Chaos basic troops (was going to say "rank and file - oops!).
The Sigmarite armoury is a bit Monty Python though:

"You can have a hammer or a hammer and a shield.  Or two hammers.  We have one-handed hammers, two-handed hammers and throwing hammers.  Or you can go for a giant hammer".

"Anything else? I was thinking a bit less... hammery".

"How about this flaming hammer?".

"That's still a hammer".

"Oh".

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3238 on: July 04, 2015, 01:26:31 AM »
 lol

I was going to write a long reply to you Vermis, but I agree with everything you say.  Even the stuff about Mantic  :o

I didn't plan to go off like that! But I've already seen the theory that WFB almost died because of 'generic fantasy' (took, what? 30 years to die of it?) rather than mishandling by GW, and it turned into a bit of a rant based on my own frustration about the kind of generic fantasy models I want to see and own.

I think AoS is a response to a number of factors in the gaming world, both minis and boardgames/minis hybrid gaming.  There are now a lot of VERY smart starter games out there, many with free/quickstart rules, and Fantasy Flight seems to have got the wallet-bleeding expansion model down to a fine art

To your mention of Warmachine, Infinity and Malifaux, I'd add X-Wing, Star Wars Imperial Assault, Descent, Battlelore, Dropzone Commander.  Some of these games have months and months of gameplay in just the starter set.

Agreed! Now if someone could do something like that for fantasy battles, like a revamp of GW's old 10mm BoFA box set. (On a different scale?)

My wife still loves me though  :'(

Heh! I know that laundry list means I'm being unfair to some well regarded sculptors (and their fans), who did push the envelope back then, and who have to try to make a pittance out of this notoriously low-profit hobby without much luxury to be arty-farty about it. But there's this effect I see or imagine in some oldschool sculpting, to greater or lesser degrees, of rushing through a set of basic identikit features and techniques. (Especially in minis I own and use. Not too hypocritical...?) I don't think it's normally improved when those include fantasy features, or when they're pulled into any old shape because it's 'only fantasy'.
Despite having a lot of 'dolly' minis and plastic multipart kits with stock bits themselves, I think one thing that GW can be praised for is keeping a certain amount of individuality, character and care in some of them. (I recently got some metal high elf white lions off ebay, the last ones before they went finecast and then plastic. One-piece with just a couple of poses, but by crikey they're handsomely turned and detailed minis. Pity being second-hand doesn't make them a much better price for big units, but that's why I'm pinning a few hopes on Dragon Rampant, incidentally)

I best get some sleep as I might have to go in the local WarHammer GW shop or whatever its called to get a big golem figure with a free magazine stuck on it. Maybe.

Ditto! Have to give GW props for stirring up publicity, anyway.

As I was typing, I've just had an email from Mantic telling me about KoW, "The Game of Fantasy Battles" and a 15% discount to celebrate "Independence from the Empire".  I assume that means the 4th of July...  Cheeky sods  :D

lol And I have to give Mantic props for their reaction to AoS. Setting up free, official KoW army lists that just happen to be compatible with all the armies that GW kinda-sorta set adrift? Beautiful.

LOTS of special abilities and some of this stuff is really oddly specific - the Pawleader of a skavenslave (minimum size 20) unit get +1 to hit on its attack rolls.

The more things change. One of the oddly specific things that finally put me off WFB was that even low-down skavenslaves had to get some kind of unique special rule. Special rules for skavenslaves should be like serf upgrades in Lion Rampant...

Min unit sizes with no max doesn't sound entirely bad to me, though. Sounds like it could be self-limiting between players, somehow.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:41:32 AM by Vermis »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3239 on: July 04, 2015, 01:39:46 AM »
A friend just sent me this:

Braying Warcry: Red-hot rage festers in
the savage minds of Wargors, their only
desire to rend and destroy. You can add 1
to all hit rolls made for a Wargor if, before
rolling the dice, you let loose a primal
warcry. Your warcry must use no actual
words, but angry grunts and raging snorts
are encouraged.

I copied and pasted this from an actual GW PDF. These are actual rules.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.