Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:17:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9  (Read 44806 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - Update 04-08-2011: Contemptor and Army Pics
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
I still think that Pred design is my favorite (nostalgia strikes again  :) ).

What I meant when I mentioned the old RT paint scheme was the styles they had in the old Compendium, you know, camo all over apart from the doors being in Chapter colours. Your's certainly do the job though  8)

I think I've got some old Mark 6 armoured marines (metals) somewhere in a tub if you want them?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »
Ah, yes. The camouflage thing. While I think the original concept, i.e. "Marines will use camouflage when necessary", is far more sensible than the new "outright ballsy-shiny at all times" approach, I never could quite bring myself to actually painting them that way - somehow, I don't really have an idea how to pull it off properly, with the single exception of a scout sniper squad I painted almost ten years ago, which had camouflaged cloth elements and cloaks, with a slightly matter yellow armour tone to blend them in.

Also, the vast majority of games I used to play and will probably play in the future are set in urban environments. I am a bit worried that the necessary camouflage patterns would clash too much with the yellow. Somehow, I want to have the yellow and black heraldic element in it.

Furthermore, I only have a handful of JPG scans of RT paint schemes, and nothing really in-detail to work from. Still, now that you mention it, I would indeed be tempted to do something like that. I wanted to add a "Sternguard" veteran squad, and I think those could look quite interesting if I paint the extremities (i.e. lower thighs, arms and shoulder pads, and the top of the backpacks) in an urban camouflage pattern, with the torso centre remaining yellow (but a bit more muted than the current run). It would certainly help to pick them out, and work for that "cobbled-together, late war/heresy" look that I am trying to achieve for the overall force.

As for your old Marines, if you could be bothered to dig them out, snap a shot or two and decide what you want for them, I'd certainly be interested - Mk6 is a favourite of mine, and any metal figures from the good old days will most likely be welcome.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »
- Mk6 is a favourite of mine, and any metal figures from the good old days will most likely be welcome.

Only proper marine armour ever made  :D

Looking forward to see some  'in action' pics of the force. Have you considered using the yellow/black in a 'wasp' stripe-pattern on some fast attack elements? Not sure if it would work, but the idea struck me as i looked at the 'old' dread.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »
Absolutely cracking army chris

a real labour of love and attention to detail

very cool

dodge

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »
I think it would be worth doing the camo for one unit (and transport) and possibly doing it on the legs, arms, backpack and body and leaving the pads (knee and shoulder) for heraldry.

Light grey and red in an urban pattern might work well with the yellow  ???

I'll dig out those figures hopefully tomorrow and pm you (dependant on work not getting in the way  ::) )

cheers

James

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2011, 10:09:56 AM »
Looking forward to see some  'in action' pics of the force. Have you considered using the yellow/black in a 'wasp' stripe-pattern on some fast attack elements? Not sure if it would work, but the idea struck me as i looked at the 'old' dread.

That is quite a nice idea, and coincidentally, one of the reasons why I chose to paint my army as Imperial Fists back in 2002 was that another gamer in the town in which I lived back then had a "wasp" theme army (i.e. a chapter using wasp heraldry), perfectly executed - so that showed me yellow could be done properly. My key issue would be that the majority of vehicles is too angular to pull it off - I agree that it could look splendid on the dreadnought's shape. I am, however, considering building a Rogue Trader-Style Landspeeder from scratch in a similar style to the jetbikes, and I think that one could pull off the wasp stripes (similar to the industrial warning stripes on various items) nicey. Thanks for that idea.

Quote from: jimbibbly
I think it would be worth doing the camo for one unit (and transport) and possibly doing it on the legs, arms, backpack and body and leaving the pads (knee and shoulder) for heraldry.

Light grey and red in an urban pattern might work well with the yellow

That would probably be the most thorough approach, I guess. I had this image (WD 123, if I'm not mistaken) which initially got me started on the Camo concept:

That is essentially your suggestion. I'm not entirely convinced, though, if the yellow shoulderpad doesn't break the camouflage effect (not from a realistic POV, mainly talking aesthetics). My idea looks something like this (whipped up using the B&S Painter and Photoshop:

Suggestions are definitely welcome, because if I divert from the current aesthetic mainstream like that, the result should look the part.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2011, 02:29:52 AM »
That's the sort of thing I'm on about but a little bit different (the figure example spoiled I think by the actual figure and not the paint job).

How about following some of the camo from the Badab Wars and having the whole marine camoed up with just the Chapter emblem on his pad showing.

I'm rambling now (just got back from seeing Iron Maiden at the O2 ) and it's your army so do what you feel is best  :) I'm sure it will look absolutely fantastic whatever you decide to do  8)

cheers

James

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
Hi all,

took some time, but here's the first seven of the Sternguard Veterans. Will bring them up to 10 when I find the time.

I changed the original pattern to a darker and softer version, as my skills aren't as good as Dwartist's, and I'm therefore not able to pull of a pixelate-ish camo pattern without it looking nervous and crowded. I'm happy with the effect now, though.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »
Those look like proper marines to me- kick ass and don't bother to take names.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
Neat job on those,

great effects

dodge

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - Update 20-08-2011: Sternguard in Camouflage
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »
Hi all,

today, I had the chance to photograph the camo Sternguard squad in some terrain:

I'm quite happy that the camo pattern seems to work. Apart from the cropping, the above images are not modified - seem to blend just fine into their surroundings, and the torsi and helmets are not too bright.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Hi,

I finished up a batch of plastic scouts, originally from the Advanced Space Crusade boardgame, to make up a squad - only to notice after finishing that I only painted six where I needed 7 for the full unit! lol

Extremely static, but somehow fun to paint, and some areas are very nicely detailed for 20+ year old plastics. I really wish I could find that one scout with a captured shuriken catapult to fill up the unit...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
I like the urban camo  8) goes very well with the yellow and red  :)

I'm assuming that's the resin Forge World missile launcher (sorry if I missed it earlier)?

I was never too keen on those plastic scouts but your paint job has really turned them out well  8)

cheers

James

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
I like the urban camo  8) goes very well with the yellow and red  :)

I'm assuming that's the resin Forge World missile launcher (sorry if I missed it earlier)?

Yes - I think I elaborated on that when I presented the first tac squad, but that might have been on another forum. Indeed, it's from the first Heavy/Special Weapon set, and it is a really, really nice piece - perfectly marries the old design with modern manufacturing quality, and the flamer and melterguns in that set are great, too. Haven't yet got the new heavy weapon set, but that is mainly due to the fact that I would prefer single types of heavy weapons for game efficiency - I'm certainly no powergamer, but the mix-and-match devastator squads of old are just wasted nowadays. Two pairs of heavy weapon types is good in my book, though. Split them up and have one combat squad do the tank-hunting, and the other work as anti-infantry.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
I also have those scouts (both the metal ones and the plastic ones), and I even think that I have some with boltguns and a single one with a lasgun (am not quite sure). I remember the one with the shuriken catapult, but I dont think I have that one (I may even have omitted buying blisters with it, as it seemed a very strange weapon for a marine scout...)