Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731981 times)

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2640 on: January 13, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
I bought a couple of necron kits at a wargames show, and some chaos box sets before Christmas (more than I expected to buy, but the chaos marauders looked too good to miss). However, they've been a tiny part of my hobby purchases for quite a few years now.

I have been wondering if I should make a list of box sets to pick up, just in case they do actually de-list everything. It's not a long list, but there are still some figures I would like to have.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2641 on: January 13, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »
Ah, Connectamabob, I know the feeling. I've thought the same about aaall these GW orbiters too (often going more OTT than even GW also). But I can't blame them for the sales they must get, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't tempting to play in GW's sandpit, maybe add my own interpretation to some of it.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2642 on: January 14, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »

I am no expert, but the financial info they released today suggests there are still  people buying enough of their stuff...

:o

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2643 on: January 14, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2644 on: January 14, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
What I read from those numbers is another drop of 6.6% in Revenue compared to the same period the previous year. Not alarming, but £4,000,000 is some kind of money after all.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2645 on: January 14, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »

Guess that really means in GW speak that they did not put the prices up enough  last year ::)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2646 on: January 14, 2015, 02:21:04 PM »

The issue is price. Its over priced pure and simple.

I bet all you other guys are in the same boat. Seriously how much did you spend on GW WITH GW in '14?

I spend Zero for new product.  I probably spent about $100 total at a Swap Meet,but aside from a Blood Angel Squad, that was just to buy up figs to resell and trade for things I really want. Which I did, at great personal gain. I also spent about $100 on some deals for used LotR figs. I also did quite a bit of trading for a few bits and bobs of OOP stuff for necromunda. 

All in all, I spent about $120 on used GW product for myself.

GW product is something I now pick up only on blowout used deals.  I don't play 40k anymore (though I do use my armies in Warpath) and the prices now are too ridiculous to even consider getting back into the game seriously.  Truth be told they were ridiculous 4 years ago, now they're insane.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2647 on: January 14, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
Truth be told they were ridiculous 4 years ago, now they're insane.

I concluded insane 20 odd years ago, but I had less money then and it was worth more now..But I don't have that money now, I have newer money and its worth less than it would have been if I had it 20 years ago. o_o

Either way new or old then or now they are to expensive for any of my money.

;D

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2648 on: January 14, 2015, 03:35:14 PM »
Revenue down, profits down.  The word seems to be that it's new kit that drives sales, so sales numbers must be down and it really is prices that are holding them up. It's generally seen as good if you can make the same money producing fewer things though.

Taken on its own, it's not terrible, not great.  Looks worse against a background of a booming tabletop market (double-digit growth for boardgames and the likes of Fantasy Flight Games).

They're top dog in the arena, and they have a loooong way to fall yet.  Their high prices work for and against them - even if they make fewer new customers than their competitors, they make far more off each one.  And less of that is through general retail, so they make more profit per sale.

Same with limited editions - maybe they could have made more from the End Times, but they played it safe.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2649 on: January 14, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
The fact that people are still buying hints to me that there's everything to play for if the new Warhammer Bubbles rumours are true.  Even if folks here are not their market, people are spending £40 on three venomthropes or thee rat ogres.

A tight core game with a good starter set (or three...), small units to upgrade, swanky models with tons of unit options and special rules... could do well.  Could even be a fun game...

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2650 on: January 14, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »
Sadly I am just a poor boy and cannot afford to buy into their new GW hobby bits, at least not when there's other good stuff to get into for less.

Its clear according to their own publications that I am not the target market and clearly not a member of the GW hobby at all.

Still good luck to them.

I await the next new releases to have a snigger at, starting to remind me of the old news stories,  the time fillers about the funny shaped vegetables, or fruit with words or peoples faces in them...

Ohh look another funny shaped piece of plastic from GW, it looks like someones.... ::)

At least they are not finecast...

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2651 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »
Ohh look another funny shaped piece of plastic from GW, it looks like someones.... ::)

You've been looking at the Tyranids again, haven't you?  Has it reached the point where a real sex toy is cheaper than GW's Freudian nightmares?

*sigh*

It's always been about price though, hasn't it?  That and screwing over shops as well as customers.  And it's not something they can change overnight - knock even 10% off across the board and the company is in big trouble.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2652 on: January 14, 2015, 04:36:07 PM »
What I read from those numbers is another drop of 6.6% in Revenue compared to the same period the previous year. Not alarming, but £4,000,000 is some kind of money after all.

And the second half of the year is always going to be higher than the first, thanks to Christmas sales, unless something has REALLY gone wrong.

You've been looking at the Tyranids again, haven't you?  Has it reached the point where a real sex toy is cheaper than GW's Freudian nightmares?

You're killing me, Momo  lol lol lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2653 on: January 14, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »
You've been looking at the Tyranids again, haven't you?  Has it reached the point where a real sex toy is cheaper than GW's Freudian nightmares?

Actually you have got something there. Whats the chain of shops that does ermmm those sex toy things.

Thinking that get  a few, some skulz, quick paint job and you have a good few proxies ready to play - ok strictly speaking depending on how you play with them you might not need paint or skulz but thats a different hobby isn't it - where talking kit bashing for Nagash proxies and things , not using them for their, er, original purpose.

I think u need to be accompanied by a lady though so might have to be mail order..- Anne Summers thats it - I knew i would remember eventually - was on the tip of my.. tongue.

Still that would be a lot of their toys for the price of just one of GW,  cannot imagine they would charge anything near as much, plus they must be non-toxic to and they would be multifunction to..!

Boring day in the office, thats my excuse and I am sticking to it until at least 17:30 GMT.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2654 on: January 14, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
There is an old Larry Leadhead comic strip where he uses various sex toys as alien vegetation.

But I cannot seem to find it just now.