Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 10:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696491
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 566
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742388 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2625 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »
And I thought these used to be far fetched
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/myLZi7MtncH65IM6R-aP74w.jpg
 lol

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2626 on: January 12, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »
I think that's the big problem with current GW kits.
Yesterday I assembled one of the recent Dwarf lords and the Dark Elf sorcercess and I was impressed with how well the kits are designed end the crispness of even the small details. Technically, modern GW kits are perfect, little gems of sprue and part engineering, but the design of the subject matter is, well, shite.

It's like Michaelangelo or Rembrandt painting a perfect, dramatically composed, detailed and emotion-provoking portrait.....of a cow patty. Mounted in a rococo picture frame.
Just look at the staff the grey seer is holding, it is delicate, neat, cleanly shaped and you know it will cast up perfectly, every time. Then look at the...thing... it sits atop.  :-X

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2627 on: January 12, 2015, 08:58:33 PM »
Price is pretty much it (other than the utterly horrible design direction - it's all going a bit Warmachine-meets-World of Warcraft for me). Even the pre-Warcraft stuff is now prohibitively expensive for the most part. Not to mention that you no longer get free postage until you spend £40, which means buying the odd metal character I want is stupid money considering the pre-postage price.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2628 on: January 12, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »
Technically, modern GW kits are perfect, little gems of sprue and part engineering, but the design of the subject matter is, well, shite.

(other than the utterly horrible design direction - it's all going a bit Warmachine-meets-World of Warcraft for me)

Yes!

I bet all you other guys are in the same boat. Seriously how much did you spend on GW WITH GW in '14? My total was zero though I did buy over 60-80 figs that GW makes....

Three boxes, a couple paints, the mould line tool.... and a bunch of stuff for pennies off ebay.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2629 on: January 12, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
Barring a price rise or three in the interim, about £75; and I'm surprised it came out that much when I totted it up on the webstore.

(All three boxes are still sitting in a corner, unopened. Great value!)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #2630 on: January 12, 2015, 10:27:58 PM »
Box of ungors and box of lotr hunter orcs is all I can remember.
Bought some hobbit goblins on eBay 2 boxes for practically price of one, those are earmarked for mutant conversions.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #2631 on: January 12, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
Not a sausage from GW direct, 2nd hand? £600 maybe more in the last year... I don't want to count it'll scare me hehe

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2632 on: January 12, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »
About £100 for me.  If I go back 4 years, it doesn't even break £200 total.  I do like their paints though.

EBay this year - the Island of Blood Skaven, the Dark Vengeance Chaos Marines, and a pile of mutant Hobbit goblins - got five boxes worth for £20, 40 became skaven slaves.  Oh, and a a copy of the Hobbit rulebook (£20 in mint condition) and the Warhammer 8th rules (£5!!! near mint condition).

Both the books are really amazing, clearly laid out, tons of scenarios and loads of history and eye candy, but I would never pay full price for them.  The Warhammer one especially needs some starter army lists, in the style of the old Ravening Hordes.

That's the thing - many of their minis are fantastic and have so many options.  A single box of 40k troops is an excellent deal for skirmish (Fantasy less so, though I still reckon the Empire Militia boxed set is the best single box of fun in wargaming).  You get a fantastic range of assembly options and weapons.  They just don't make games at that scale any more...

For a Judge Dredd street gang, the DE Wytches would be kind of fun, or the Hellions would be a good Sky Surfer force.  And not expensive...

And for buying in bulk, the clip-together starter set armies are amazing models and great value.  They could easily do a £30 clip-together starter for every army, in different colours of plastic so you could be up and playing in an hour or so.

It's buying the whole bloody army that's the pain... was reading the Lichemaster scenarios from the 80s this week.  The Vengeance scenario from the Citadel Journal scenario wants 20 humans, 40 skaven, and an undead horde of... 60 minis!  And these are single-piece metals that take 2 minutes to clean up, not modern plastics - you could probably build and paint your army in a couple of weeks.  And that scenario has plenty for your army to do, several special abilities, characterful objectives and fun randomness.  Love the dalek...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:38:47 PM by Momotaro »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2633 on: January 13, 2015, 12:40:07 AM »
I bought space hulk, that was purely for nostalgia reasons as well. Great game too. However I did manage to give GW the least amount of money as possible by buying from the UK rather than here in NZ and getting it forwarded to me by NZpost office in the UK.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2634 on: January 13, 2015, 02:16:42 AM »
Usually they wouldn't get anything from me and I've even started to move on from the second hand market as well. There is just so much variety out there.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2635 on: January 13, 2015, 03:10:39 AM »
About £100 in the past six months, but all from bits sellers and not GW themselves.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #2636 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:30 AM »
I spend thousands of dollars a year on miniatures and hobby related stuff... pretty much none of it GW, most of it second hand.  I have probably spent $100 over the past 2 years from GW from an independent retailer.  I might pick up a few boxes of stuff in the next couple months in case the whole line goes kaput!
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2637 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:14 AM »
Last GW thing I bought was a plastic Tau Devilfish APC. That was shortly after they first came out, sooooo....

10 years ago, maybe? Don't remember precisely.

I'm mostly a adventure/skirmish party guy rather than an army guy, and I'm a bit snobby about sculpt quality, so I don't mind paying collectors prices from time to time. If I were building an army though, it would bloody well need to be economical, and big army stuff is GW's main vein, so... yeah.

Mind you even by my standards, Forgeworld has always been firmly "look, but don't buy" price-wise. Even their small stuff is absurd.

Mostly my turnoff has been more and more the art style. Specifically I don't like how many small independents that could be making cool new stuff are instead making GW knock-off designs to parasitize GW. There's some seriously brazen stuff out there. I often wonder how stuff like this or this doesn't get sued, given GW's reputation.

GW having they're own art style: great. Other people trying to cash in on the GW style and thus narrowing the available variety on the market: not so great. It bugs the artist in me to see that kind of wallowing anti-ambition. I feel like these sculptors/manufacturers are aiming low and squandering both their and the community's potential by choosing to be copycats.

I've lost track of how many times this has happened:

"Oh, hey! A new company announcing itself! I wonder what kind of cool stuff they might have, or what their sculpting is li..."

"...Oh. Just another interchangeable GW remora. Seriously, people? Seriously? Do none of you have a trace of pride or creativity, or, god forbid, ambition? Just "nope, LOL, it's GW's shadow for me!', eh?"

That's not really GW's responsibility, but that just makes it extra messed-up. If the only way for the problem to fix itself is for an "innocent" company to take a dive, things have gotten really effed up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:17:54 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #2638 on: January 13, 2015, 07:26:55 AM »
£6 or £6.50 (I forget exactly) for a box of 5 Chaos Cultists directly from GW. Bought a few of their paints from Boyes though. Also paid some silly prices on eBay for Realm of Chaos champions, Bob Olley Ogryns etc.

My group and I have just got started on Dropzone Commander over christmas and it is really enjoyable so far. There are three of us and we chipped in £50 each to get started. We each bought a starter set for £35, one of us bought the rulebook for £15 and the other two of us went halves on the scenery set for £30.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2639 on: January 13, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »
nothing direct, only via ebay, etc for the last 2 or more years..

Bought IoB and Dark Vengeance when Dark Vengeance came out as I got interested again.

And nothing prior to that between then and er, 1995 ish.. due to their prices went to high.. :D

So I guess for me they priced themselves out of my pocket 20 years ago... Shows how much loosing my custom impacted their business  ;D

They will regret it eventually  lol

In truth it was seeing some boxes of mantic stuff in a local boardgame shop that started me off again getting into this "not the GW Hobby"

Then uncle google showed me lots of other nice stuff, and stuff I thought had stopped being made decades ago (love my old Grenadier stuff I does).

So in the end I can take or leave GW stuff, but mainly leave it.

Plenty of lead left in my mountain!