Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:30:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694176
  • Total Topics: 118585
  • Online Today: 631
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731761 times)

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2745 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:25 AM »
Will there be warlocks and death jesters coming out? Or have they gone the way of the dodo?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2746 on: February 07, 2015, 02:53:39 AM »
And bikers and a dreadnought wraithlord. I've been collecting a few of he older sculpts. I've got to get a wraithlord yet and a few more of the harlequin jetbike faces.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2747 on: February 07, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
And bikers and a dreadnought wraithlord. I've been collecting a few of he older sculpts. I've got to get a wraithlord yet and a few more of the harlequin jetbike faces.
The jetbikes are out.
Not too bad, if pricey.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2748 on: February 07, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
Actually I like those bikes  :D

Not paying that much for them though , even if its actually quite cheap for GW..

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #2749 on: February 08, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
Those old harequin jetbikes were great. But I imagine it is hard to get hold of them for reasonable money. Just this morning i saw a jetbike canopy sell for about 15 pounds on ebay. Makes these new ones seem like a bargain.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2750 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »
From Closet Gamer's 40K orks topic:

I just kind of like their models. *shrug*

Me too, for the most part. :)

They just make it pretty difficult to.

Explain it to me please how a bit of polystyrene commands such a price?

'Cos GW now consider their target market (again without any market research) to be 'collectors', who will pay any price in order to own these, and I quote Tom Kirby: 'jewel-like items of wonder'.

I know that GW do look on this site for feedback.

News to me. You'd think that if they looked for feedback on forums, they'd pay a bit more attention to all the astonishment and frustration that meets their decisions, especially on forums that have more than half a dozen GW-related topics per week. Maybe then they wouldn't seem so clueless about their dwindling profits.

:yawn:

I don't see what the issue is. Buy a box of minis for £25, assemble/convert them, base them, paint them. If you get that done in a month and I'll be impressed. I used to spend £40 a month on cigarettes!

Not really fair, Andrew. Fine if you are 'just' a collector or non-GW gamer with the disposable income to drop on a GW box that catches your fancy, once in a blue moon. I've done that myself. But if you're trying to build up an army, especially with a certain faction or conversion project; if that £25 box contains about five human-sized minis, and you need at least two for a proper unit (a complaint I often see leveled at the £3.50-a-pop witch elves); if you have to continue that kind of spending across most of your army, which practically needs to be bigger and bigger with the last few editions of both core games; and if you then have to buy the enormous, pricey rulebook, army book, and whatever additional DLC you need to make your army halfway competitive... I've seen a few people put the guts of a grand - or more - price tag on the whole thing.
That's not to mention the fact that the quality of the general and army-specific rules is highly debateable; and given how quickly 40K 7th ed appeared, and the rumours of massive shakeups for the future WFB 9th ed, nobody's really sure how much of their army or it's 'meta' might be invalidated, or when, if they even have it assembled by then with 'one box per month or longer'. I keep seeing these factors, individually or together, as the reasons many recently disillusioned GW gamers gave up on the two core games. Closet Gamer's reaction is nothing new to me.

(And yeah, I get a bit frustrated myself, with folk who have to keep up with the latest editions of the BRB and army books, but in some discussions I've seen, some gamers are [or feel] restricted to GW stores or 'that kind' of gaming group, or even just to the particular style of rules GW uses.)

third there are loads more people making orks than GW. Kromlech and mantic both spring to mind.

Yup. There are also rule sets compatible with 40K style minis, that don't demand quite so high a model count. If you don't have a previous, smaller-scale edition of 40K, I'd point out ViDe:FuCo and Rogue Planet by our own Agis and VoodooInk, respectively. Heck, I'd point them out anyway.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:30:23 PM by Vermis »

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #2751 on: February 14, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
I guess I've just got a different perception. I don't care if the miniatures are expensive because I don't want to build a big tournament busting army, I just want to buy nice minis that I like, put them together and paint them. I think it's all too easy to complain that miniatures are too expensive when you buy waaay more than you can actually find time to paint.

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #2752 on: February 14, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »
In fact it is no cheap hobby...just look at all those unfinished projects ....
I think its not about the money....at least for me...
Like a lot of wargamer GW getted me into the hobby
I had a great time...
So i have to thank GW for that....no hard feelings
But somewhere they just lost me....
End of story... 8)

Cultist#83

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2753 on: February 15, 2015, 12:36:59 AM »
I guess I've just got a different perception. I don't care if the miniatures are expensive because I don't want to build a big tournament busting army, I just want to buy nice minis that I like, put them together and paint them. I think it's all too easy to complain that miniatures are too expensive when you buy waaay more than you can actually find time to paint.

It's worth pointing out that the relevant metric is the size of an orc army as per the GW books.

You personally might have an alternate method of buying fewer models, but anyone playing the game published by the manufacturer of the figures - any faction, not just the orcs - is obligated to invest quite heavily.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2754 on: February 15, 2015, 12:50:12 AM »
I didn't mean to wag my finger quite so much, but, well, Fram's right. Most folk still buy these models in order to build an army and play the game. Even buying GW minis for games with somewhat smaller mini requirements, I feel a bit frustrated at how much GW charge for their products: geared for mass production and army-building, but priced like premium collector's minis.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2755 on: February 15, 2015, 01:19:48 AM »
At our monthly club meeting last night there were a few new faces playing 40K.

I was surprised to see the incredible volume of recent models on the 'new guys' table; many had been showcased via this thread so they readily stood out. Most had been only primed black but some were fully painted...

I had to marvel for a bit, as I hosted my 15mm sci-fi game, at the amount of cash that was represented on the table across from mine.  o_o

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2756 on: February 15, 2015, 01:46:06 AM »
I'm not surprised a shipment of GW hasn't been held up by thugs. Now there's a great scenario.

And a 40K themed GW shop terrain piece.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2758 on: February 15, 2015, 03:34:28 AM »
And it's been done:
http://galaxyinflames.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/games-workshop-in-ruins.html
Oh god, don't scroll down past the pictures. Reading the story of what happened to that will make you cry for humanity.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2759 on: February 15, 2015, 03:58:34 AM »
Oh god, don't scroll down past the pictures. Reading the story of what happened to that will make you cry for humanity.
Quite horrible really. Can you just imagine the faces of glee as they did it? No sense of humour, and that was 2004!