Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who currently has the Mutant Chronicles licence?  (Read 652 times)

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
Who currently has the Mutant Chronicles licence?
« on: May 12, 2024, 11:37:35 AM »
Does anyone happen to know which company currently has the Mutant Chronicles licence please? I know Prince August still sells the minis, but not sure if they currently own the IP. (Sorry if "licence" isn't the right word - I mean, who owns the IP).

Asking because I've just seen a scam artist on ebay selling pre-orders for his own "sculpts", which are just recasts of MC minis modified with GW parts.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 01:22:37 PM by Belligerentparrot »

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Who currently has the Mutant Chronicles licence?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 11:44:40 PM »
 Res Nova is doing the New Warzone miniatures game.They did a Kickstarter for it last Year.

https://resnovagames.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 11:00:38 AM »
...I've just seen a scam artist on ebay selling pre-orders for his own "sculpts", which are just recasts of MC minis modified with GW parts.

Not interested in buying or even copying, but I am interested in just seeing what he did...  ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 11:07:21 AM »
Manic Miner - thanks for the info!

Daeothar, the guy's ebay name is acrobaticfriends, you'll find the auctions by searching for "unreleased goliath" I expect.
It's hard to know for sure because the description is garbled, but he seems to be converting old Mutant Chronicles minis, claiming they're his sculpts, and selling some sort of "pre-order" so he can cast up his conversions.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole with a rubber glove on the end!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 11:36:36 AM »
Daeothar, the guy's ebay name is acrobaticfriends, you'll find the auctions by searching for "unreleased goliath" I expect.
It's hard to know for sure because the description is garbled, but he seems to be converting old Mutant Chronicles minis, claiming they're his sculpts, and selling some sort of "pre-order" so he can cast up his conversions.

I also had to look... Man, you weren't lying about garbled! Also, the 'prototypes' are really gnarly and caked in paint. Even if he is 100% legit (yeah right) and merely misguided about IP, those models are going to be pretty grim!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 12:20:31 PM »
Thanks, but oh my... ::)

Those are indeed all Warzone models, with added Space Marine, Ork and Goliath parts glued on. But some are just straight Warzone, without any work done, bar having their slotta tab removed and being glued to 32mm bases.

And then the paintjobs...

Looking at the figures, it seems as if he sourced a few Warzone miniatures which were already undercoated black and then glued some bare plastics on there. Others have just some random coloured paint glooped over them, presumably to take attention away from the fact that these are actual miniatures from an existing line.

He wants vulcanizing rubber to cast these, but the added plastic bits will melt during the moulding process. Also; how would such a mould work out, considering there's going to be massive undercuts with the glued on arms etc.

I reckon the unconverted minis will cast up ok though (probably be very bad quality), but at those prices, I'd try Prince August first; most likely they still have some of these lying around. And he's so strapped for cash he needs us to pay for the rubber first, but I'd reckon the pewter (or even lead) required will be way more expensive!

Run out the front door, leave town and nuke the site from orbit; this thing has more red flags than a communist party parade...

Offline akanous

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 01:52:49 PM »
The IP behind Mutant Chronicles/Warzone is held by a company called "Heroic Signatures" (along with the rest of the old Target Games' properties, Conan, and several others).

I (as Res Nova Games) currently have the license for Warzone and, as @manic_miner noted, we're working on a new line of miniatures and a skirmish ruleset called Warzone Eternal.

We've been familiar with this guy's stuff, and from the eBay username you listed it sounds like he may have created a new account - I know he's been reported before for selling recasts. I'll pass word along to Heroic. Thanks for pointing this out.

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 05:45:01 PM »
Thanks Akanous, I've also let GW know.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2024, 09:34:12 PM »
On the one hand he's selling recasts ", he clearly doesn't understand how to take a sculpt from concept to production, and he seems to think ebay is a good crowdfunding platform. All of which tells me this is someone who is grossly underinformed about technical processes and IP law.

On the other hand going down this rabbit hole lead me to discover unreleased giant gooey skittles, so you know...it's not all bad.

Also I love the product description - "This listing is for 10 of these custom figures I sculpted built into a 32mm base. the one in the pic is not for sale that's the prototype I need to make the mold with your help because I'm actually broke. I need crowd help so I can afford the expensive mold rubber required to make this guy and many other figures I'll probably never be able to produce without your help. It takes about 50 bucks in mold rubber to make him and one other guy. So, you can take your pic of getting 10 of these exact guys, or 5 of him and 5 of another similar deal prototype figure being offered for the same deal, for just 50 bucks.  Also if you just wanted one of these guys you can also opt for one and then pick 95 USD worth of my other figures on my seller page you're seeing this on or my other ebay page that has more listings here's the I can link you the link | eBay so no matter how you want to do this you'll be getting 100 USD worth of my miniatures for just 50 bucks and helping me make molds for figures I might not have molded otherwise. This is your only chance now to get this deal as once someone goes for this or I randomly make the mold for this one day without your help you will only be able to get this guy for 10 bucks each and not 5 bucks each when you get ten like I'm offering now. But understand it may take a few weeks to make your order because the second you pay I will immediately order the mold rubber then I have to wait for that in the mail then spend a few days making the mold and however many of these you choose up to 10 of these guys, but for each of these guys you want that adds another day to the turnout time as I can only make one batch of figures a day. "

Poetry - absolute poetry.
you know when you get accosted in the street and have to stand through an elaborate back story about how the guy in super expensive trainers just needs 50p to get the train to get home because he got lost and his wife is giving birth but his wallet got stolen by a gang and his phone has run away? Yeah, it's got that kind of vibe going on.

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 10:04:50 PM »
That's exactly the vibe.  lol