Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10472
  • Latest: J_elves
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693412
  • Total Topics: 118536
  • Online Today: 672
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sudanese Infantry?  (Read 12827 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Re: Sudanese Infantry?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 12:11:37 AM »
Just want enough to do a 1916 version of Björn's "Find the Waterhole" Sudan skirmish scenario that he ran at Tactica

Brilliant idea, but wouldn't want to be in your shoes... First convert 20 miniatures and then paint them. Sheesh! Poor fella.

Offline Frank

• LPL Champion (S5,S8) Bronze Medalist (S6)
  • Mad Scientist
    • My TableTop Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
Very nice conversion…I am also interested in some good Sudanese Infantry for the time after 1885. I would like to use them for some smaller action around Suakin.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
That is a very good conversion. Just what my Darkest Africa forces need!

It looks relatively simple to do and only the only extra expense is the Senegalese heads. It will be easy enough to do proper "stiff" fezzes in  green stuff (after doing Slash's top hat they will be a doddle  lol ), so for a small unit that is definitely achievable  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way. I think I forgot to say that.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 10:40:23 AM »
It will be easy enough to do proper "stiff" fezzes in  green stuff (after doing Slash's top hat they will be a doddle  lol )

If you feel like stretching yourself, 2 KAR were also known to sport a rather natty Kullah and Pagri combination on occasion, and it was the standard headgear of 6 (Somaliland) KAR...

I plan to try my hand at it, but I'm still not too great at the old Green Stuff lark.

former user

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
how about chopping some Perry ACW plastics into something suitable?
just an idea - I can't really judge if any parts will really do

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
Easier work maybe (given that it is plastic), but a lot, lot more of it.

The Perry Camel Corps are basically right for the job, except for the jacket (which you have to make into a jersey by filing and greenstuffing), and their head, which you need to find a replacement for. Their equipment is as near as damn it correct as it is. ACW figures have the wrong rifle, wrong gear, and wrong or no leggings (all of which would need seeing to), and then you'd still have to turn the jacket into a jersey and find a new head.

But I am using some Perry ACW plastics for something else British in Africa-related, so you really are not far off the mark at all. More on that another time... ;)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Just why in the hell should a Google images search using the terms "28mm Sudanese Infantry" end up producing a bunch of pictures of Paris Hilton, Justin Bieber and Vanessa Hudgens?
You are very lucky. With the same Google research I don't see any of these, I get lot of pictures of toy soldiers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:58:16 PM by Patrice »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
I forgot about Redoubt. They look pretty nice, but unfortunately I have some of the Redoubt range and they're a bit bloomin' massive. I need figs that won't look stupidly big next to some Perry minis I'm going to convert.  Dammit, they would've been fine. Cock! :?

Answer is, what the Hell is that... that thing?

Edit: Thanks, Carlos. I think I'm going to have to go the more expensive and pain-in-the-arsey conversion route. But never mind, eh? I have something in mind that will do the trick without too much fuss, just a bit of headswapping and a bit of Greenstuff here and there. Already done something very similar as a test, but was hoping I wouldn't have to do a shedload.

I would not rule out Redoubt due to size. The British are huge but the Egyptians I have are almost exactly the size of Perry, see picture below(I could unfortunately not edit/turn the photo on my phone). I would expect the Sudanese be similar size as their Egyptian cousins:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
Well that is good news. I had assumed they would be the same size as the ones I have, as they are from the same range.

I think I'll chance it and get a few just to see. Many thanks, Traveller.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 03:50:09 PM »
Hmmm those Redoubt figures look quite acceptable and if they are ok size wise.....
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »
I would not rule out Redoubt due to size.
Thanks indeed! I'll get a couple to check, too.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
It seems that the Perry are getting bigger as time goes by. The Sculpts they did in the Foundry days very really smallish and the first ECW sculpts in Perry Miniatures were also small. I was surprised to see how tall their Sudan Egyptians and British are. I don't mind though, big is beautiful  ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »
It seems that the Perry are getting bigger as time goes by. The Sculpts they did in the Foundry days very really smallish and the first ECW sculpts in Perry Miniatures were also small. I was surprised to see how tall their Sudan Egyptians and British are. I don't mind though, big is beautiful  ;)

Their Sudan Royal Navy figures are very close to the Copplestone versions. I posted a pic of some officers from each range next to each other and as far as I'm concerned they are very compatible. Slightly less bulky, but not a problem. Perry titchiness is something of a myth nowadays. They will never be the biggest of figures, but their Sudan range works nicely with most other 28 ranges.

If Mr Plynkes does get some Redoubt Sudanese, I'd be very interested in seeing them alongside the usual suspects.

Anything to save a couple of hours of arduous green stuff sculpting  lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 11:13:27 PM »
Perry aren't small at all, I'm not sure why so many folks think they are. They fit in with Foundry Darkest Africa fine, at least to my eyes. They are a bit more slender in build, but they aren't short.

They do look rather daft next to the bigger Redoubt ones though. Totally different ends of the scale. Redoubt seem to be a bit of a lottery. I bought a few samples of different ranges a while back, because I was only shopping for a couple of individual figures and I had to buy some other things to meet their minimum order value rule. Their Wellington in India and Three Musketeers figures are massive, like bordering on 35-40mm or something, and to be frank, aren't very good. However, their ACW figures are pretty nice, and also fit in with a reasonable person's idea of 28mm figure size. If Traveller is right (and there is no reason to believe he isn't), their Sudan stuff exhibits the same kind of variation within a single range. Which really, is pretty stupid.

If Mr Plynkes does get some Redoubt Sudanese, I'd be very interested in seeing them alongside the usual suspects.

No problem. Will do. I'll order some in a minute or tomorrow at the very latest. :)