Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694105
  • Total Topics: 118580
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1731174 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5205 on: August 04, 2016, 09:28:16 PM »
It has the rules at the back so really it's all you need to start playing.

Yeah, but I bought the first HC book already  ;).
No problem with scenario's, the more, the better.
Leadhead

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #5206 on: August 05, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »
Heresy!

Shadow of the Horned Rat was brilliant. A brilliant brilliant game.

Weeeell, my memories of it involve the enemy outnumbering you in every single mission by 2-3 regiments to every regiment you have, your warmachines being incredibly lucky if they manage to fire a single highly ineffective shot before exploding (they would explode on the 2nd shot, with slight luck they didn't explode but became inoperational for the rest of the battle instead) and an after battle phase where you could replace lost troops in your regiments except you could buy around 1-6 guys per battle while you generally lost 15-25 guys if not the entire regiment due to the aforementioned outnumbering and maps that, most of which, did not allow you to force the enemy into narrow routes and even in the ones that allowed it, the enemy forces just swarmed against your defensive formation and overran it.

I recall making it to a map where you faced off against the Orc warboss by which time my forces consisted of 3 heroes (the mercenary captain, some elf and some dwarf I think) plus some bonus units that mission gave you.
After shrugging off a cannonball hit and watching the cannon explode while it tried to reload, the warboss wrecked absolutely everything on his own.

And the Skaven laughter from the game haunts my sleep to this day.

So err, not my kind of brilliant at least.  :D

Steam have mordheim up for freeplay for three days and %60 off purchase price at moment...

tempted....

The user interface does seem to take some getting used to but the tutorials seem to explain things pretty well.
So far it seems to be quite fun though twohanded weapons seem to have a definite advantage while ranged units really seem like a novelty at best.

Edit: every mission's a serious challenge though, be warned.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:03:18 PM by FionaWhite »

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5207 on: August 05, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
missile units are killers. Use them better.

What he said.

I always made sure I concentrated my missile units in one corner in a convex shape with foot units on the outside facing inwards, using terrain to funnel the enemy units into corridors of devastating fire. The foot units stood ready to flank-charge any nasties trying to close with the missile troops and the mounted troops galloped about to draw some enemy units away so they could only approach the defensive line in drips and drabs. The computer controlled units were pretty stupid and seemed to want to turn to face anyone close by, especially those declaring a charge. With a bit of nifty ordering, you could keep several enemy units milling around aimlessly by beginning then cancelling charges and then retreating ... right in front of your missile troops.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5208 on: August 05, 2016, 10:02:10 PM »
I own Mordheim and I've tried to enjoy it several times...just...can't.  I just feel they went and made it all needlessly complex when it didn't need to be.  I'd have vastly preferred a computer version of the table top game.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline VoidValue

• Assistant
« Reply #5209 on: August 06, 2016, 06:46:24 AM »
I own Mordheim and I've tried to enjoy it several times...just...can't.  I just feel they went and made it all needlessly complex when it didn't need to be.  I'd have vastly preferred a computer version of the table top game.

They've tried to take advantage of computer game features (like it's possible you don't know where your enemy's units actually are etc).

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #5210 on: August 06, 2016, 08:17:08 AM »
missile units are killers. Use them better.

What he said.

I always made sure I concentrated my missile units in one corner in a convex shape with foot units on the outside facing inwards, using terrain to funnel the enemy units into corridors of devastating fire. The foot units stood ready to flank-charge any nasties trying to close with the missile troops and the mounted troops galloped about to draw some enemy units away so they could only approach the defensive line in drips and drabs. The computer controlled units were pretty stupid and seemed to want to turn to face anyone close by, especially those declaring a charge. With a bit of nifty ordering, you could keep several enemy units milling around aimlessly by beginning then cancelling charges and then retreating ... right in front of your missile troops.

How can you say that when people shrug off ranged attacks like this:

:D

More seriously though, my trouble with them is that they get off 1 shot for 15-35 damage depending on their weapon, then reload and can take no further action till next round at which point they're dead unless you've blocked every pathway to them with your melee guys, since practically all enemies have either twohanders or dual wielded weapons (think I've seen 1 enemy with weapon + shield combo so far) which 2-shot ranged guys.

Comparing that to melee guys dealing out 30-65 damage per attack w/ twohanders or dual-wielded weapons and having more staying power than the ranged ones, I'm having some trouble finding use for them outside of slightly weakening an enemy before the melee troops beat the everliving daylights out of them.
Maybe if there were several of them? Though with the starting party limit being 5 and it seemingly being necessary to split your troops to collect enough wyrdstone to make the shipments, the durability of melee troops seems to be a better choice.
It's likely just my playstyle being an issue.

One more thing:
... the mounted troops galloped about...

There's mounted troops?  ???

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5211 on: August 06, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
I think we may be talking at cross purposes. I was talking about the old Shadow of the Horned Rat game that was released on the Playstation. Have I shown my age once again?

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5212 on: August 06, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
I think we may be talking at cross purposes. I was talking about the old Shadow of the Horned Rat game that was released on the Playstation. Have I shown my age once again?

Possibly. Then again, I'm pretty sure that never came out where I am.

In other news, I went into the brand spankin' new warhammer store in the nearest city to where I live, mostly out of nostalgia. I told one of the guys there about Pulp Alley. He seemed genuinely interested! Must be a new guy, incomplete super-loyalty training or somesuch.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5213 on: August 06, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »
SothR was baaaaad. Played it to death on PC, but couldn't get past a skaven mission in a mountain pass. Always lost too much models, making the rest of the game impossible to complete. Which sucked because that was at about 80% in the game.
Sometimes I replayed missions 10+ times if the digital dice were against you (with the wizard's spells doing nothing for instance). Although I think the game was bad (DO was way better),  I still have good memories of it :)  
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5214 on: August 06, 2016, 02:06:37 PM »
Weeeell, my memories of it involve the enemy outnumbering you in every single mission by 2-3 regiments to every regiment you have...

My memories of it, from the Gog download, involve a control panel with almost unintelligible and undecipherable icons, and units that, when directed to attack an enemy unit (melee or shooting) did that for a few seconds, then turned round and headed in the opposite direction.

I had a copy of Dark Omens years ago. I didn't find that too easy because I was young and stupid (these days I'm older and just a bit less stupid) but from what I remember it was more intuitive and child's play compared to SotHR. On the topic of bottlenecking, I also remember those gifts of maps, like the town where zombies had to shuffle slowly down a long, straight street. All you had to do was set up the bright wizard and one cannon at the other end and keep blasting. I wouldn't mind seeing that again. :D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5215 on: August 06, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »
I told one of the guys there about Pulp Alley. He seemed genuinely interested! Must be a new guy, incomplete super-loyalty training or somesuch.

Heh. I remember the time I got told off for bringing a Star Wars toy (boxed, just purchased) into the local GW. It was a total clampdown on non-40K stuff.

Then there was the fresh new blueshirt, at the time when the Necrons had recently been retconned from mindless C'tan slaves to scheming C'tan imprisoners, who didn't have a clue what the just-discontinued Pariah minis were.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #5216 on: August 06, 2016, 06:00:53 PM »
I get those missile boys up high. They cant be charged if they are 3 stories up sort of deal Fi.

Get the height to give you vision, range, protection, and all the bonus mods to the hits it brings.

Use a few of them.

Equip the captain and hero with pistols.

dont forget missile guys can carry hth weapons as well. Use your judgement on whether to have hth weapons or missile weapons readied.

If you keep the band to one or two groups you will be able to focus more damage on their individuals and chop them up piecemeal. Don't split up willy nilly for the stone.

A volley of fire to weaken or a few ranged shots from up high sniper style as they come in and then wack whack with the heavy hitters finishing them off.  

Alas, they didn't quite live long enough to see the dawn the market sold pistols...  ::)

I don't think it's quite the game for me though - I'm too focused on my dear characters while the game is about watching them become insane blind amputees before they finally die and are replaced by others destined for the same fate, like they're trapped in a realm of perpetual torment.

Well, the first half of one of my earlier messages was about Shadow of the Hornet Rat while the other half was about Mordheim which likely caused some confusion.  ;)

My memories of it, from the Gog download, involve a control panel with almost unintelligible and undecipherable icons, and units that, when directed to attack an enemy unit (melee or shooting) did that for a few seconds, then turned round and headed in the opposite direction.

Good thing I haven't given that one another try then.  lol
Rites of War and Chaos Gate are the only ones I've tested so far... I think Final Liberation had live-acted cutscenes though, I should look into that some day.

Editty: Yup, Final Liberation sports live-action 40k videos. Available on Youtube for your viewing pleasure/horror.

Double edit: And there's apparently a new Deathwatch boxed game coming out with Space Marines versus Eldar.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:41:17 AM by FionaWhite »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5217 on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:59 PM »
So someone leaked images of a thousand sons sorcerer sprue. GW responded by posting up a video about the sprue and releasing the first tease of a new plastic kharn model.

They've also announced they will be live streaming their future tournaments and events.

and of course, theres puns like this...
https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/photos/a.235809753480677.1073741828.230219510706368/241127056282280/?type=3&theater

The GW social media team are doing alot of work on all fronts.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5218 on: August 24, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »
Yep, and I can't say that's a bad thing.  They need to change and I see some of it happening.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5219 on: August 25, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Sounds like a good step to interest their player base. Personally though I couldn't stand watching a 40k tournament live streamed, good for people developing strategy though.