Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:52:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693938
  • Total Topics: 118572
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Kadesh  (Read 7296 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Battle of Kadesh
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2023, 03:58:20 AM »
This is a bit of a change for you Eric.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 10:42:28 PM »
Well, I do have a pretty large set-up of 6mm Successor forces.  I actually am a big fan of 6mm as a scale.  Plus, to capture the size of the armies and mobility I wanted some larger looking units.   

Now, I need help from the folks here on this board.  For Kadesh, I would like a 3D printed (I have a Resin Printer) for a Bronze Age Mediterranean City that I can print out to represent Kadesh.  I would love for it to be a walled city.  Ideally, it would fit on a CD as a base comfortably. 

Can anyone point out an STL file for me to use?
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 12:03:11 AM »
Cromarty Forge has two sets that might work for you. The files are scaled to 10mm, rather than 6mm, but may print okay at 60 or 70% (my opinions about this are second hand - I don’t have a printer, but friends who do have explained resizing to me).

They sell a wall set: https://fileshop.cromartyforge.com/l/IWqsv

And an adobe buildings set: https://fileshop.cromartyforge.com/l/adobebuildings

The sets are nominally for a lizardman fantasy army, but I don’t see any really obvious lizard man art or anything on them, so they probably could work for ancient Mesopotamia with minimal fuss.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 08:31:59 PM »
Getting to the end of the year so I am sprinting to try and finish off the Egyptian army before 2024. 

Here is a large batch of archers that I completed....

That leaves me 3 chariot bases and 5 assorted infantry bases left in this force. 

You can read more detail on the blog is you are so inclined, including an army shot so far.....
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2023/12/on-painting-table-for-glory-of-ra-more.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 08:42:03 PM by Easy E »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2024, 03:56:43 PM »
So it is written, so it is done. 

The full 6mm Egyptian army is now done. 

That is 24 bases of goodness!  This includes chariot units, infantry, archers, infantry with archers, and skirmishers with bows.  Lots of bows for the Egyptian army!  That seemed to be a "favored" weapon for them. 

You can see some of the WIP shots, some more close-ups of some units, and better photos of the chariots on my blog if that is your thing. 

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2024/01/on-painting-desk-battle-of-kadesh-so-it.html

In others news, I have been working with a 3D sculptor in order to get a cool looking mini for Kadesh.  The results so far are very promising and I look forward to sharing it.  Once completed, the sculptor will be offering the the STLs of the city up for sale as well.

Now, onto the Hittites! 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 10:19:10 PM »
Some folks elsewhere asked if I good get some closer shots of the miniatures themselves. 

I do not think my camera is up to it, but here is a shot of the Hittite Spearmen that have been undercoated black. 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2024, 05:58:10 PM »
With the Egyptian force done for Kadesh, it was time to turn to their foes.  The Hittite army  will be a similar sized force in bases, but it has a very different composition from the Egyptians.

For this force, I am still using Baccus 6mm minis on 60x60mm bases.  Most of my techniques for painting these guys will be the same.   

This first batch will complete about 1/3rd of the army!

If you would like to learn more about the project, you can see the first blog about the Hittites on the blog:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2024/02/on-painting-desk-battle-of-kadesh.html

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 10:26:17 PM »

I am still forging ahead on my Battle of Kadesh armies that go along with me latest "In-Progress" rules set In Strife and Conflict.  This project began in earnest in 2023, but the rules were written for about 5 years now.  Hopefully this is the year I can get all the post-production wrapped up and I can release it to you! 

To that end, I have been working diligently on my Hittite forces.  Good progress so far with much of the infantry getting done. 

You can find an army shot so far on the blog:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2024/03/on-painting-desk-battle-of-kadesh-king.html

More importantly, my 3D printed Kadesh arrived.  Thanks to Kelly Watson for designing and printing it out.  Kelly said he was planning on making the design available, so I will let you know when it is. 

The city can fit on a CD as a base, but also has two expandable pieces to make it bigger and add some variety.  I look forward to painting it and putting it on the table.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2024, 12:10:30 AM »
Nice looking force so far  :)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 04:39:37 PM »
One of the big pieces I wanted for the Battle of Kadesh is a model of the city itself!  Therefore, I was ecstatic when my friend Kelly Watson offered to make a 3D printer version of the city for me! 

Here it is.....

This 3D print is 6 pieces that can be deconstructed for transportation, and can be made into a circular city, as well as this oval version.  Their are two small marketplaces/wells, and 1 main gate section of the walls.  The smaller version is about the size of a CD. 

I look forward to painting this and putting it on the table soon.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 04:42:23 PM by Easy E »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2024, 04:44:02 PM »
Super cool!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2024, 04:51:48 PM »
Super cool!

I agree!  I would personally have printed Kadesh off just a tiny bit larger but it's very nice and your army is superb Eric.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2024, 05:15:31 PM »
Thanks all. 

I am now done with the Egyptian Forces and Hittite forces for the Battle of Kadesh. In addition, I also finished painting up Kadesh itself. All the pre-work needed to play the scenario is ready. Just need to test the scenario.

You can see a ton of pictures on my blog here: https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2024/03/on-painting-desk-battle-of-kadesh.html

However, here are some highlights.....

Full Hittite Army

Full Egyptian Army

The painted city of Kadesh (plus inserts to expand it)

All models are from Baccus 6mm and are mounted on 60 x 60mm bases. Kadesh is a 3D print designed by Kelly Watson.  The rules are unit-vs-unit with no model removal. The armies listed above can cover a number of scenarios of various size and not just the Kadesh scenario. The average game is between 4-12 units per side.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2024, 05:19:56 PM »
That all looks excellent! I’m looking forward to seeing the game reports.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2024, 11:01:02 AM »
Fantastic stuff! Looking over this thread I’m really tempted to branch into smaller scales, the project looks incredible :)