Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694070
  • Total Topics: 118578
  • Online Today: 528
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victorian Russians?  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Victorian Russians?
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »
What range of minis should I use for the 1890's?

I just saw the version of King Solomon's Mines with Patrick Swayze as Quartermain, and it had some Russian agents out looking for the mines as well.

I like the idea of the Czar having his minions abroad wrecking havoc amongst adventurers and villains (and monsters) - and that interpretation of KSM had a lot of situations suited for small scale adventure games.

The Russians of the flick were wearing peaked caps, and grey or black breeches, much like those we see on RCW minis, but I expect the uniforms of the late 19th Cty to be a bit different?

And Crimean War minis are probably also a bit outdated?

For adventure games I COULD just decide on using an early or late look as above, but I would like to know if 'correct' minis for the period are available.

I'll cross-post this in the Colonial section.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Victorian Russians?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
Outpost Wargames Service has Russians for the Russo-Turkish war 1877-1878 listed as forthcoming in May. Their Bulgarians look good so far.

http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/russo_turkish.html

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »
Redoubt do 28mm Russian Infantry in standard European uniform and Cossacks for 1880s:

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=265f6c70d81fa66da4fc7f65ad649857&ps_session=3566604740768b070b056d05b9a3462b

Eureka do 28mm Russsian Infantry for Russo-Turkish War in summer uniform (caps with neck covers):

http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_173_174&sort=3a

Askari Miniatures do by far the largest range of Russians for Russo-Turkish War, but in true 25mm. The range includes including infantry in both summer and winter uniform, artillery crew and Cossacks:

http://www.askari-minis.com/webstore/index.php?cPath=42&osCsid=nh0kir1crfh5b7a3tbuc3u5hj4

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
Sizewise the Eureka 28s are slightly smaller than the Askari 28s.  I had to boost the height of the diminuative Eureka figures with an extra washer on the base to bring them up to the same size as the Askari figures.

The Askari figures are not true 25mm but are actually 28mm, however, a quick email to Al will secure you some 25mm figures he tried out before going ahead with the larger size.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »
The Redoubt ones ar very close to the imagery from KSM.

The Eureka Russians in summer uniforms would probably be better for a planned incursion into the Kalahari area... and why not?  ;)

I had no idea that so many minis existed for the period :)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:49:05 PM »
I apologise for the threadhijacking - but has anyone ever seen the recentish Russian movie The Turkish Gambit?  It's based on one of the Erast Fandorin books, which I have read (cracking good stuff for the VSF fan, Fandorin is a sort of Russian super detective).  Found this clip on line, looks to be pretty good:

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »
watch the slash and saber vid on that one also.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:33:40 AM »
Fandorin books are amongst the rare few that I have to buy in HB on release as I cannot wait for the PB versions. They are all wonderful. That clip is brilliant, much higher production values than previous renditions I have seen. Is it subtitled or even better dubbed as my Russian is lacking rather?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »
I found this link as well - it is the full movie, subtitled in English.  Unfortunately my internet connection is not up to downloading a two-hour movie.  The first couple of minutes are good, though.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
Darth Argonor,( ;))

Skrapwelder haas hit the nail on the head with the new Outpost range for the Russo/Turkish War,

http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/

The only slight problem is the Russians aren't out until may, but I suspect they wil lbe spot on. The Bulgarians in the range look great for VSf era bad guys.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
Thanks for posting the full film!

I'd seen clips on youtube before but not the whole thing. I've just watched it through now, it was bloody fantastic!

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
Well, I made it about half way through.  What I saw was good, I'll have another kick at it and see if I can get the rest.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
Also don't forgwt to look at Boxer Rising/Rebellion ranges:

Old Glory - Russian infantry, Cossacks and Sailors

Redoubt - Russian Sailors - this range has to be one of my favourites for the colonial era - vety nice sculpts

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 09:13:18 AM »
With Russians it really depends what terrain you want them for as the uniforms were different.

The Russo-Turkish stuff is great for Arid/Desert settings as they wear the French Foreign Legion style kepi with sunflap.

The Redoubt sculpts are more appropriate for late Victorian in all terrain, but I'm not a fan of those particular figs, as are the Old Glory ones (but you know. they're Old Glory).

Personaly I'd grab from White Russian early uniforms from the RCW. Which gives you Copplestone and Brigade Games to choose from. The uniform is identical to 1890's, it's just a different colour, which is irrelevant on an unpainted figure :)
The only potential problem is the rifles as they didn't come into wide service until the 1900's, however they were used by some regiments in the 1890's and if it does bother you, just cut the magazines off.

For winter outfits, I'd go with Copplestone White Russians in great coats, same problem with rifles, but they look great :D
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 09:56:44 AM »
Whoha.... Lots of good minis to choose from, then....

Thanks - I'll probably also make a Russian treasure hunter expedition Warband for CIC.... Actually, I think I'll start all my V/VSF stuff around some factions for CIC - lets me paint fewer minis before I can game  ;)

I'm also looking forward to receiving GASLIGHT, GASLIGHT Adventures & Expeditions, and GASLIGHT: To be continued... from Brigade Games, soonish. Should give me some ideas for small size skirmish/adventure games.  :D

And I hopefully get a new job next week, so I don't have to commute all the way to Copenhagen every day, anymore, should give me some time for the hobby again....