Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:45:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victorian Russians  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Victorian Russians
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »
What range of minis should I use for the 1890's?

I just saw the version of King Solomon's Mines with Patrick Swayze as Quartermain, and it had some Russian agents out looking for the mines as well.

I like the idea of the Czar having his minions abroad wrecking havoc amongst adventurers and villains (and monsters) - and that interpretation of KSM had a lot of situations suited for small scale adventure games.

The Russians of the flick were wearing peaked caps, and grey or black breeches, much like those we see on RCW minis, but I expect the uniforms of the late 19th Cty to be a bit different?

And Crimean War minis are probably also a bit outdated?

For adventure games I COULD just decide on using an early or late look as above, but I would like to know if 'correct' minis for the period are available.

I have cross-posted this in the VSF section.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Victorian Russians
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »
Askari make colonial Russians who look like they are kitted out for hot weather:

http://www.askari-minis.com/webstore/index.php

Though as Russia had no African possessions for them to be based in, I might be inclined to find some kind of naval landing party figures instead. Perhaps from a Boxer Rebellion range?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »

Though as Russia had no African possessions for them to be based in, I might be inclined to find some kind of naval landing party figures instead. Perhaps from a Boxer Rebellion range?

That's what I'd do, although I do like those Russians in the "colonial" uniform.

The Redoubt russian sailors are quite nice:

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=3103&category_id=1b6aec04765ef3fedacd9b66f91dd484

although they look like they would be more at home in Vladivostock than Swaziland  :(

Maybe the chaps in white and red would be better after all  ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
Oh, and painting all those stripey jumpers might give you a nervous breakdown  lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
Both are interesting options.

The Russian 'Foreign Legion' would be perfect for a Martian Adventure....

The sailors are more in the visual style of the KSM Russian party, though lacking the peak on the caps... (I'm actually not sure, whether it was only the officer who had a peaked cap, though).

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »
The Askari Russkis are equipped for Central Asia, but no doubt the same uniform would have been used if the Tsar had decided to extend his reach to Africa.  And of course (like other colonial powers), there would have been navy landing parties as well. So the obvous solution (at least, obvious to any obsessive compulsive wargaming nut) is to get both!

And as a bonus, you will have another set of potential opponents for your NWF Pathans, or to face the perils of the Red Planet, or the steamy jungles of Venus!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 12:35:15 AM »
Askari make colonial Russians who look like they are kitted out for hot weather:

http://www.askari-minis.com/webstore/index.php

Didn't you know that the Czar when sold Alaska to the US received as compensation a large part of Africa?
Unfortunately of him is located between German South West Africa and South Africa and also includes large parts of Kalahari desert and those trouble making tribes like Herreo etc
argsilverson

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
I just noticed a thread on TMP in which our friend Allen Curtis states that the Russian experiment with the Kepi ended in 1881, and they went back to the furazhka. So those Askari chaps might not be any good after all, as Argonor wants 1890s troops. But then, this is alternative history/VSF, so in your world the Kepi may well have caught on.

It's amusing how with regards to fashion 19th Century armies seemed to chase after whoever was perceived as the top military dogs. Everyone copied the French like mad in the 1860s, with Kepis and Zoauves and wotnot cropping up everywhere. After 1871 you couldn't give that shit away, and many of the armies (Brits included) decided that you needed a funny-shaped helmet with a spike on the top if you were going to beat your enemies. Yeah, the secret of victory really lies in which hat you pick for your soldiers. Crazy!  lol
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:23:13 AM by Plynkes »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:29:18 AM »
There you have the explanation for Isandlwana - no spikes!!  lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:50:55 AM »
I just noticed a thread on TMP in which our friend Allen Curtis states that the Russian experiment with the Kepi ended in 1881, and they went back to the furazhka. So those Askari chaps might not be any good after all, as Argonor wants 1890s troops. But then, this is alternative history/VSF, so in your world the Kepi may well have caught on.

It's amusing how with regards to fashion 19th Century armies seemed to chase after whoever was perceived as the top military dogs. Everyone copied the French like mad in the 1860s, with Kepis and Zoauves and wotnot cropping up everywhere. After 1871 you couldn't give that shit away, and many of the armies (Brits included) decided that you needed a funny-shaped helmet with a spike on the top if you were going to beat your enemies. Yeah, the secret of victory really lies in which hat you pick for your soldiers. Crazy!  lol

Mr Curtis is indeed correct, although the reasoning in this instance behind the change from kepi to furashka had more to do with the influence of the pan slavic movement than who was top dog at the time. The furashka was seen as more traditionally Russian and there was something of a backlash taking place against foreign influence. Not all Russian regiments adopted the kepi, IIRC the Guards regiments resisted it.

For the 1890s you have a number of possible choices. If you are handy with greenstuff/ milliput then simply file back the kepis  a little on these or the much nicer Eureka figures and place a small disk of putty atop. Instant Furashka with havelock. Of course the rifles aren't quite right but if you can live with that.

Your other options would be the Redoubt Russians from their Victorian range or the OG ones from the Boxer war range.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 06:07:38 AM »
Mr. Marighela is eminently correct regarding the furashka as a Pan-Slavic symbol.  The Guards regiments did indeed refuse to give it up, as did some other units, wearing it throughout the Russo-Turkish War.

Sorry I've not been keeping up!

For the 1890s, there are other options as well.  As the standard rifle, the three-line Model 1891 (better known in the West as the Moisin-Nagant), stayed in service for a *very* long time; and as a gymnasterka (tunic) is a gymnasterka, trousers are trousers, and boots are boots--Russian infantry from the Great War or even the Russian Civil War can be used as is or easily adapted.

The peaked furashka was officially ordered for all troops in 1904; but from the 1880s, troops from some regions--Siberia and the Caucasus especially--already had them.  The peaked furashkas were more commonly found in the more-or-less elite rifle brigades than in the ordinary infantry regiments.    Both regions supplied forces for the extended march into, and occupation of, Central Asia.  It might not be a stretch to suggest that those troops might be selected for overseas expeditions.  Certainly the lightweight white gymnasterka developed for Asia would not be a bad choice for Africa; not so sure about the red leather britches that the Turkestan Rifles wore!

So don't overlook WWI ranges such as Battle Honours, or even the Copplestone White Russians for the RCW.  In both those cases, trimming the peaks from the furashkas is not likely to give a good result: so rationalize them either based on the type and origin of the unit, or make up a special expeditionary brigade and issue the streltsy peaked ones!

Just a thought or two...

Allen
What fresh hell is this?