Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 731
Total: 738

Recent

Author Topic: Basing for 10mm?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Basing for 10mm?
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:20:54 PM »
As a result of recent threads here, I've decided to dabble in 10mm, with some Copplestone orcs on the way. I've been thinking a bit about different scales recently, and am settling on 28mm for HOTT and skirmish, and 15mm for RPGs and (possibly, eventually) Dragon Rampant. But 10mm might provide some interesting opportunities for genuinely massed-battle games that require a more expansive battlefield than HOTT.

In part, this is driven by space. Our 6-8' x 3' dinner table is more than ample for even large (72AP a side) 28mm games of HOTT, but is a little cramped depth-wise for Dragon Rampant (hence, perhaps, the doubling up of my fast-growing 15mm RPG miniatures for DR). But 10mm would give plenty of dinner-table room for games in which movement can be exceptionally fast at certain points, such as Mayhem and Sword and Spear Fantasy. And we've yet to try out the Rally Round the King rules, which I recently bought.

Mayhem uses 40mm squares for 10mm. Sword and Spear requires only (reasonably) consistent frontage; depth doesn't much matter. RRTK just needs consistency.

So, is there any compelling reason - such as other great 10mm system for which square bases simply won't do - not to go with 40mm squares?

Any pointers or considerations much appreciated!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Basing for 10mm?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »
Well, the obvious fantasy ruleset for 10mm is Warmaster, and that was very simple:

• All non-cavalry units are on 40mm wide x 20mm bases
  • All cavalry units and chariots are on 20mm wide x 40mm long bases
  • All warmachines and artillery are on 20mm wide x 40mm long bases
  • Monsters and such (with or without riders/crew) are on 20mm wide x 40mm long bases
  • Heroes are on 25mm round bases

Then there are rulesets which despite having some detail, are still abstract enough for 10mm. My example here is Kings of War.

Basing is very similar to Warmaster, but some sizes and some orientations are a little different, especially when "translating" down to 10mm. Here's what I'm doing:

• All regular-sized troop units are on 40mm wide x 20mm bases
  • All above-regular sized troop units are on 50mm wide x 25mm bases
  • All cavalry units are on 50mm wide x 25mm bases
  • All monstrous/large infantry units are on 50mm wide x 25mm bases
  • All chariots are on 20mm wide x 40mm long bases
  • All warmachines are on 20mm wide x 40mm long bases (unless they fit comfortably on 20mm x 20mm bases)
  • Monsters and such (with or without riders/crew) are on 20mm wide x 40mm long bases (unless they need a bigger base, or else fit comfortably on 20mm x 20mm bases)
  • Single heroes on foot are on 15mm x 15mm bases
  • Single mounted heroes are on 15mm wide x 20mm bases
  • Single monstrous/large infantry heroes are on 20mm x 20mm bases

However, as long as both sides are the same, Kings of War can be played using the Warmaster basing conventions. I would suggest that a few bases of additional cavalry are based "wide" for each faction however, for when you run small harassing units of them, but otherwise small differences are easy easy enough to hand-wave away if all players are on the same footing.

Lastly, if you really want the most flexibility, I would perhaps consider using some metal or magnetised plastic trays or similar, and using smaller bases on them to make up bigger units - the tray keeping them all together when you move them about. I'm not suggesting anything ridiculous here, but 20mm x 40mm, 20mm x 20mm, and 40mm x 20mm are all common enough and can be arranged to make 40mm x 40mm, 60mm x 40mm, or whatever other sizes you need.

For those rare games where equipment or such matters broadly, you can even use a mix of similar models with different weapons, putting the "correct" ones at the front, and filling in behind with others. So a 40mm x 40mm Orc unit with spears could have a 40mm x 20mm base of spear-armed models in front, and a 40mm x 20mm base of sword-armed models behind for example.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts; apologies for how long-winded this post ended up being, but I guess basing is just one of those things that seems to change from game to game on whim! :P

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »
Many thanks - that's a very useful post. I've actually been having a look at the Warmaster rules; I tend to be put off by "world-specific" systems, as I prefer generic ones, but I hear a lot of good things about the mechanics.

The magnetic system is a good idea too. That would also facilitate "great hordes" in Mayhem, which can be on bigger bases than conventional elements.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
I'm glad it was helpful! :)

I understand about what you mean with relation to "world-specific systems", and this is something that has bothered me probably more than it should over the years. I try and take a pragmatic approach where possible, and accept that a small number of models may need to be doubled up in order to allow for anything highly specific (like cavalry in the games we're discussing for example).

In these small cases, there is usually a games-mechanic reason for the very different basing; if I like a game, I don't mind too much making these small concessions.

Otherwise, as long as both players have the same (or very similar) basing, then there shouldn't be any obviously unfair advantage to either person.